Fordmods Logo

worth gettin an e series 8 

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

1 SLY 97EL wrote:
I have always like the post 11/1997 El XR8's as they sound TOUGH AS! So I reckon get one.
But in regards to fuel consumption it is a fair enough estimate that you will be looking at using the equivalent of 1/3rd more fuel than what a 4Litre/6 uses in the 5Litre/V8.

Are you sure its around 1/3?
Ive had both and honestly havnt sat down n worked it out, but im getting around 80kms less with my 8 than my 6.. and my 6 was always pretty good on the petrolium..
Either way, go the 8 - once youve bitten the apple theres no going back to the bread.

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

I get 400km's of stop-start city driving on one tank of fuel. On the open highway my fuel usage is halved. Depends on how you drive and what you've got under the bonnet.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon 95

VIC, Australia

my I6 is f**k, i get 450km/s to a tank now, so im sellin it and buyin a 5 ltire manual E series car. cant be that much worse than the 6 on fuel? (by the way though my 6 is a little modified...recently beat my mates new VT SS 5 litre. he was shocked

Cougar Zero makes my pants fit nice.

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

mrnasty wrote:
my I6 is f**k, i get 450km/s to a tank now, so im sellin it and buyin a 5 ltire manual E series car. cant be that much worse than the 6 on fuel? (by the way though my 6 is a little modified...recently beat my mates new VT SS 5 litre. he was shocked

I am too, altho they were only like 190-200kw, not the 220 vx..?
Maybe my figures are fuked?

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

I'm not really happy with the E-series windsor. The note is to die for but that is about it. I would go the six as it is better value for money if you intend on modifying, up till a certain point. I don't know why I'm complaining, my car got pretty much given to me and it is a heavy SOB.

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

Its not that surprising to beat a VT SS 5litre. They're only 179kw or 195i with HSV enhancing.
A few mods to an I6 and you'd be running well alongside or ahead of a lot of 5 litres.

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon EGas

WA, Australia

EL XR8 wrote:
Its not that surprising to beat a VT SS 5litre. They're only 179kw or 195i with HSV enhancing.
A few mods to an I6 and you'd be running well alongside or ahead of a lot of 5 litres.

I beat the HSV 195i down at the drags by about half a second and with a blown clutch....They're s**t.

BA Falcon Futura on EGas. Stock as...

EF 5 speed manual; PH 4480 Pacemaker Headers; 2 1/2" Lukey Mandrel Bent System; Hi Flow Walker Cat; Stage 3 Crow Cam; ChipTorque Chip; 3" Mandrel Bent Intake; K&N Pod Filter; Low Pedders Suspension; 17" EL GT Champagne Rims; RPM Series Clutch

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:50 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL II XR8

Power: 146 rwkw

SA, Australia

This thread is going to go on and on and on and on.. it already has gone on and on and on ... too many enthusiasts.. and biast opinions..

the best way too decide on what you want is to drive it. Then youll know.. if you love a v8 or an i6..

it all depends on what you want to spend to modify, both can cost lots, the 6 is once again slightly cheaper in basic mods, what sound u want? that nice 6 burble (ps 6's no matter what never sound like 8's. i hate it when people think that) or meaty v8 rumble, nothing beats a worked windsor singing out raspy notes, what insurance youll have, once again similar costings can arise dependant on age and of course a slightly higher or lower fuel bill, either way its down to how you drive the car.. if your a cowboy thru and thru buy a mini cos your too immature to own a large car with power. if not youll find you visit the pumps and not lose anything more than what you would to run your mums magna.

at the end of the day i think the e-series i6 by tickford and ford will go down in the books as a stallwart for the ford motor company.. the figure head if you will and the v8 as the brother in law that only people who knew him loved and admired..

take your pick.

EL II XR8 - project powerdyne.
www.modfordclub.proboards101.com
www.mumbo.com.au

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon EGas

WA, Australia

Well said...

BA Falcon Futura on EGas. Stock as...

EF 5 speed manual; PH 4480 Pacemaker Headers; 2 1/2" Lukey Mandrel Bent System; Hi Flow Walker Cat; Stage 3 Crow Cam; ChipTorque Chip; 3" Mandrel Bent Intake; K&N Pod Filter; Low Pedders Suspension; 17" EL GT Champagne Rims; RPM Series Clutch

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:18 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Fairmont

VIC, Australia

I've got an EFII I6 Fairmont and will be converting it to the trusty 5 Litre Windsor. Go the 8 and believe me you won't regret it. The 6 burbles and splutters whereas the 8 screams and bellows like an angry mofo. The best sounding engine i've ever heard has to be a fully worked 351 clevo followed by the windsor. Just awesome...

V8 Windsor here we come.....

Last edited by Chich on Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: au xr8 & 5.0 eb

VIC, Australia

Daniel wrote:
1 SLY 97EL wrote:
I have always like the post 11/1997 El XR8's as they sound TOUGH AS! So I reckon get one.
But in regards to fuel consumption it is a fair enough estimate that you will be looking at using the equivalent of 1/3rd more fuel than what a 4Litre/6 uses in the 5Litre/V8.

Are you sure its around 1/3?
Ive had both and honestly havnt sat down n worked it out, but im getting around 80kms less with my 8 than my 6.. and my 6 was always pretty good on the petrolium..
Either way, go the 8 - once youve bitten the apple theres no going back to the bread.
i had a 5 speed ea mpi and my 5.0 eb and my 5.0 au are both better on fuel.out on the open road the 6 wasnt even in the same league

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:28 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Around town they're not the most economical but on the highway you can rack up huge k's out of a tank.

On paper the V8s aren't that special (and the I6 is impressive), but on the road at 1/4 or 1/2 throttle the V8 has so much more over the I6 ;)
Simply effortless.

-Dave-

EB Ghia Leather interior & more - CLICK HERE

Lightning Strike '06 BF Fairmont - powered by ICOM JTG

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:29 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA II XR6 Turbo Ute & XH Ute

Power: 295 rwkw

VIC, Australia

its all about the torque of the 8 they can just pull and pull and pull..... im looking at trading in my series 2 ef fairmont ghia to go for the el fairmont ghia v8 theres a few round atm with decent kms. and also i wanna get rid of the mocha foam and cuppachino and into the nice grey leather in the blue white or burgandy.....oh and a sunroof and if it dosent have 1 then ill have 2 bguy 1 they look so nice in the fairmonts

~Such Is Life....
EL Fairmont Ghia: lowered suspension , TIKFD custom plates, 20x8.5 XHP Shoreline, soon to have: JVC head unit, Eclipse speakers, Alpine and Sony Amps, 2x JL Audio 12w3v2 subs

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL XR8 / GHIA / GT

NSW, Australia

EFNWIKD6 wrote:
get an el 2 xr8 .. the best e-series windsor made.. almost an au engine... they are your best bet .. they are quicker in stock trim than xr6's... bout the only e-series that was.. and with a few simple mods remain quicker than xr6's..

what simple mods have you made mate?

EL II XR8
Pedders Sports Suspension
Pacemaker Exhaust system with Hi-Flow Cats
Tickford / GT Body Kit
Electric Sunroof / Moonroof
FR19 Simmons Wheels
Ghia / GT Interior

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:49 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: XW

WA, Australia

My EB2 Farmont Auto used about 12 to 14L per hundred (auto)

My EB1 Ghia 5L uses about 15.5L/100 (auto)
I was getting 14L/100 but went up for some reason
so get abou 450km a tank, and Im not light footed... but i dont thrash it

The 5L is much more fun to drive, and if any auto 6's pull up next to me at the lights i will rape them, along with most jap car... and keep with turbo skylines till 3rd gear somewhere

Pulled a 15.7 with boot full of crap and s**t tyres

auto 6's were high 16's that night... manuals were slightly different

Although my mates ED 6 pulls 14.8 with a $120 cam and 5spd
And gets really good economy

If i was to get another 8 i would definately go for a 5spd. Frees them up alot, and gets beter econ etc

Im gunna finger bang bang your mumma too

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next