Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Less expensive power increase for XC Falcon 500 4.1
Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:51 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: XC Falcon 500 Sedan: White, 4.1,

QLD, Australia

Guys and Gals

I have a great 78 XC 500 4.1 auto which lacks on thing-a bit of grunt. I is fitted with a good reco 4.1 that has travelled approximately 80,000 km (which is good as the car has done a bit over 500,000 km). I also have a complete XG ute 4.0 MPI auto which is fitted with a good reco 4.0 which has travelled approximately 50,000 km. As we know the 4.0 has about 50% more power than the 4.1 which means 4.0 is not that far behind the 4.9 clevelands that were fitted to the XCs. What I'm saying is I'd be happy with the sort of power the 4.0 produces (I have a big bore bike if I feel the need for speed so I don't need a hot rod).

So what do I want, well I'm just after suggestions for people who have either dumped an ohc 4.0 into an X series Falcon or have hotted up the old 4.1 to give me an idea on which would be the most cost effective way to go.

I was considering three options:

1. Modify the 4.1 but me thinks it may take a bit-of money and modification to increase its power by 50% (whilst keeping drivability);
2. Fit the 4.0 complete with 4 speed auto (I also have a column change EA stearing column that may be able to be modified as I don't really want floor shift). Concerns are of course electronics (computer etc); and
3. Fit the 4.0 without MPI and convert it to a 4 barrel holley. I know this requires new distributor, inlet manifold etc.

So if anyone can give me a hint which would be the best way to go please let me know.

Thanks a million.

MAW

Remember "It dosn't matter how fast it goes, if it's under 3 litres it's a chicks car".

Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:58 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

having had a bit of a look at this recently, it seems bang for buck wise the later motor might be the go. having said that, how much power are you after ? i have a friend who bought a manifold, 350 holley and set of extractors for his XC van at a swap meet. with a 2 inch system, this made a huge difference to the engine. we even put some work into tuning it and picked up a slight increase in economy. all up about $600.

vote for pedro ? f**k pedro, f**k him up his stupid a***hole.

Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:41 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XC GXL

WA, Australia

Working with what youve got is always the best bet however have a think about an EFI crossflow. Theyre very cheap, will bolt straight in and all the ancillaries can be retained. I`ve done this conversion to an XD with an XF donor car, and gave it power steer while I was there. Of course the 4.0l has a few fans around here so I`ll stay quiet on what I think of em.

XC GXL 5.8: 14.1 @ 99MPH. Thank you to Jimbos alchoholic uncle for the short motor. It goes alright now mate.

Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Depending on what your after, its gunna take money. How long do you intend on keeping this car??? How much have you got to spend???

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:10 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: AUII XR6, BMW 528i, XF Ute

SA, Australia

consiedered manualising it?? i just put an old 4spd in my xf ute which has stock carby and it seems to have a lot more go..

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:18 am 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Quote:
consiedered manualising it?? i just put an old 4spd in my xf ute which has stock carby and it seems to have a lot more go..

I have actually and there was even a complete T5 kit on ebay the other day. The manual does free a car up, especially an older model, but I want to keep it as original as possible. I know that sounds funning when I talking a later engine but what I mean is no cutting holes in the floor and keeping it column change. Maybe a three on the tree manual?

:D

MAW

Remember "It dosn't matter how fast it goes, if it's under 3 litres it's a chicks car".

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:25 am 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Quote:
How long do you intend on keeping this car???

Now that Ford is getting rid of the inline six I intend to keep this baby forever. I have the philosophy that 6 in a row makes it go so I'm not going to change.

I'm looking at selling my ZRX1200 to finance this project which is a good thing really because lately I'm not getting much fun riding it unless I’m doing antisocial speeds.

:twisted:

MAW

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:50 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

Yes poor old Ford is in the wars lately. Shame you dont want a V8 in it. At least itll sound like it looks. Just chuck the old crossy in the shed and put a good V8 in it and enjoy the car.(Surely you arent driving it every day) They really are crap as a six.(4.0L included) But I promise not to use caps lock as every one thinks that their eyeballs are burning out.

XC GXL 5.8: 14.1 @ 99MPH. Thank you to Jimbos alchoholic uncle for the short motor. It goes alright now mate.

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:14 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

I've had both a 302 XC Fairmont and a 5 ltr EB Ghia and was not really impressed with either. Both nice touring cars but not what I would call powerfull. I have in the past had a few 265 and 245 Valiants and discovered that you don't need a V8 to have fun. Granted they sound a bit better-having heard a rampaging R/T E49 Charger not by much-than a six but that doesn't mean they are that much quicker. As for performance the old 245 Hemi will put a 253 Holden in it's place (talking both stock of course) and the two barrel 265 runs with 308s and 302s.

Plus I'm a bit perverted I think. If I had a Mustang I would want a 200 six with three on the floor manual trany. So many people drop V8s in Falcons or Mustangs it has become boring. It was like the Holden panel van when I was a young bloke, seemed like every one had a Statesman front end.

I want to keep the XC looking stock-excetp for wheel-but going a bit harder than expected.

MAW

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

With only 3 cogs your really stapling your feet to the floor.

Best bang for buck IMO - Get a complete EB-ED 4.0L with a 5spd and drop that in. cost to purchase - $500-800.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

351 or 4.1EFI is the only option....run on lpg (straight gas preferably)....

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

gogetta wrote:
351 or 4.1EFI is the only option....run on lpg (straight gas preferably)....

Are you 'tarded or something? WTF is the point of getting a 4.1 EFI if your going to run it on straight gas? Also, why are those 2 the only options he has??

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

you really dont know s**t

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Umm okay... because I havent had a 4.1 EFI before........ :roll:
You dont need a EFI to go to gas, its much fukin simpler to just get any alloy headed XF motor and throw in there.

A 4.0 has 50x more go than a 4.1, comparing stock to stock. 4.0 is also better than a 351 - more power, less fuel, smoother... hmmmm hard choice.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:27 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

Yes a s**t 4 litre is heaps better than a 351.You obviously havent had one of those either.The Efi 4.1 has diferent cam profiles and a much better intake than the carby version. Youre not whining about your crappy four litre are you? Coz I see heaps of punks driving em.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next