low oil pressure 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: low oil pressure
Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:28 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: xf

NSW, Australia

i have an XF turbo on gas
my oil gauge reads 2 red bars and will go up to 4 bars then back again.... i put a mechanical gauge on and it reads 28 psi 8psi lower than what the manual says it should be
is this dangerously low and how can i fix this???
cheers

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:16 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XL XE XF

WA, Australia

Had this very same problem. The cause was a build up of sludge on the screen of the oil pump pick up. The motor had done 100k at this stage and I had changed oil brand. I had to remove the motor to get the sump off, clean out the sump and the screen and put it all back together. Have not had a problem since. (the Ford dealership was a 'bit more radical'. They sugested that I cut a hole in the sump, clean the screen and weld a patch over the hole to save taking out the motor - I opted to take out the motor. )

Cheers

Even a backfire from a Ford is a QUALITY BACKFIRE

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

thanks mate...
i was reading the manual and it says to jack the motor up out of the mounts and then put 50mm blocks under them and lower it back down and then remove the sump... apparently it will come out with 50mm gap...
but yer i will get around to it sooner or later i guess.. the pressure isnt that low just a little bit it fluctuates but there is about 28-30 psi and its spose to have 36 psi....
cheers

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:09 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL GT - T2 TS50

QLD, Australia

spack-pilot wrote:
thanks mate...
i was reading the manual and it says to jack the motor up out of the mounts and then put 50mm blocks under them and lower it back down and then remove the sump... apparently it will come out with 50mm gap...

It Lies!, you will never get the sump out of the car with a 50mm gap. I changed the oil pump on the old XE a while back and had the motor off the mounts and jacked right up with an engine hoist until the bellhousing was hard against the firewall and still could not get the sump out, it did however give enough room to get the oil pump out with a bit of fancy handing.

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:16 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XL XE XF

WA, Australia

I agree with you. I tried to lift the motor from overhead with tailshaft off and hard up under the bell housing but could not get the sump off so took out the motor. Gave me the oppertunity to lay it over on its side and "decrud" the complete bottom end as well as the inside of the sump. Ended up with half a litre of crud from a motor that had done 75,000k running on Caltex oil changed every 7k. (Don't use that brand any more :(

XFSteve

Even a backfire from a Ford is a QUALITY BACKFIRE

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:24 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

fair enuff... i havnt tried it...
sounds like a lot of sluge for 75000 k's

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]