Putting in 8 cylinder, and lowering. Xe fairmont ghia 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Putting in 8 cylinder, and lowering. Xe fairmont ghia
Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:03 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Xe fairmont ghoa

VIC, Australia

Hi,
I've recently purchased an 84 xe fairmont ghia, and plan on putting in an 8 cylinder, I know that the 351 and the 308 clevos slot straight in, but was wondering if there is any other newer engines available that are just as easy to slot in? For eg: an efi engine, or such?

I'm also looking at lowering it seen as I've got a sweeet set of 12 slotters to put on, what spring do I get? Will super low king spring put it illegally low? What can I put on it that won't make it to low? "not cutting the springs"

Thanks heaps in advance :)

Post subject: Re: Putting in 8 cylinder, and lowering. Xe fairmont ghia
Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: 5.0lt NF /351 ZD Fairlane

NSW, Australia

'84 ex fairmont ghia wrote:
Hi,
I've recently purchased an 84 xe fairmont ghia, and plan on putting in an 8 cylinder, I know that the 351 and the 308 clevos slot straight in, but was wondering if there is any other newer engines available that are just as easy to slot in? For eg: an efi engine, or such?

I'm also looking at lowering it seen as I've got a sweeet set of 12 slotters to put on, what spring do I get? Will super low king spring put it illegally low? What can I put on it that won't make it to low? "not cutting the springs"

Thanks heaps in advance :)

EFI 5.0 with BTR 4speed auto or manual should be easy enough but you will need to run ECU etc..it has been done there was a nice XF ute at Sydney All Ford Day (not Fordmodder) with this combo and have seen XR-XY even Compact Fairlanes with them.

Coil height is your choice just tell them how low you want it allowing for tyre clearance.
Pics please! :D

NF Fairlane with 5.0 and 5 speed goodness!
XE Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:22 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Sounds good, but whats that sort of thing worth? not wanting something that's gunna cost me thousands and thousands haha. I'll post pics as soon as I get a few things done, just gotta get it down to vic roads for a roady, then I'll hit it hard ;)

Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:31 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Just looking it up on google, anything with basically the same mounts? That'll slot right in there?

Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:34 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Just looking it up on google, anything with basically the same mounts? That'll slot right in there?

Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Take a look at Xfalcon.com - A few people doing this (The 5.0 EFI). Ive just done the 5.0 into my XF.

Engine and Gearbox will go in - should only need to extend the rear crossmember a little to support a trans.

Front engine mounts *may* work, however the factory 5.0 windsor was actually mounted around 15-20mm further forward. in my XF I needed to move the engine forward by the same to clear the firewall and trans tunnel. As yours is an XE however you probably wont have to as you have V8 tunnel, and the earlier firewall.

XE V8 engine mounts are the ones to use. For the Rear Trans, you might need something like the XF T5 crossmember which may or may not get you home without having to extend it (the XF T5 one is offset)

Use the XE Radiator (cleaned, or get a tripple core). Use XE V8 Lower hose (you may need to trim a few mm off the radiator end), and use an XA Windsor V8 (Early) top radiator hose - they will bolt right up.

XF EFI Fuel tank will work and be fine - might as well grab the EFI Fuel lines as well if your going that way.

Check the thread by colin0933 - he did an XF. Includes mentions of other things such as the battery tray (Needs to be offset/moved forward a few mm to clear the alternator).

Also - if you do move the engine 15-20mm forward you wont have to clearance the P/S Shock tower for the A/C pump. If you dont, and you do want a/c you will need to clearance it.

Cheers

Nigel

Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:10 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Thanks mate, but will all this require a engineering cert? :/

Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

short answer, yup......

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Long answer is maybee.

If you can bolt the engine in, and use the XF Rear trans crossmember then no, you wont need an engineer. If you have to mod anything (Weld a plate onto the rear member or anything) then yes, you'll need one, but they arent so expensive.

Nigel

Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:28 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Alright, cheers guys,

Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

oh, and just being picky here, in ur initial post you mentioned 351 and 308 Clevelands...no such thing as a 308 Cleveland - 302 is what you mean....(308's are made by that other mob...)

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:03 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

haha my bad, meant 302 :l

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:54 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: Lowered BF XR8 Ute / 65 XP Coupe

NSW, Australia

I remember the day I fired my XD Fairmont into life after getting it passed for rego just after we slotted in the 351 clevo. Easily one of my happiest days. That car was tough as nails, Lowered down nice, set of charcoal B45's, Grey velour XF trim, sprayed the XD Dash in the same shade, Deep Emperor Red metallic paint. That was my first ever build, (I only done the engine, susp and wheels, rest was done). Driving that car gave me the biggest buzz ever, one I have chased time and time again over the years haha.

Mate, Unless your prepared to blow your budget to do the job right, Just slot in a clevo and be done with it. You can buy a decent clevo bottom end from a decent engine builder with a full balance job and tidy cam. Have that matched up to a decent set of heads and you can get a good combo that is tough, reliable and looks the part for bugger all. If you start trying to go injected the cheapest way out of it is to just buy a complete car and take as much as you can from that car.

I'm a huge fan of the windsor, but the clevland is beginnign to get some nice aftermarket parts to bring them up to spec these days (Alloy heads, Parker Prod inlets, etc)

food for thought mate, it's your car, but i'd set my build around my budget before i got stuck into it.

Good luck, and put up some pics, I love the XE Shape.

I Exist Simply to Serve as a WARNING to others!!!

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:27 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

my original thought was to put a clevo in, then someone put the idea of a efi in, but still feeling the old clevo, love it, ill see how i go getting one, thanks,

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:05 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: XE ESP, BA XR8

VIC, Australia

Regardless of which motor you fit, you'll have to get it engineered, it's a 84, and they were never fitted with a V8.
it would be easiest to go the clevo, with straight gas, but you'll have to remove all items relating to the petrol fuel system.

have fun!
i've just finished a 6cyl to V8 swap on a 82 XE, and it cost way more than i bugeted for, the car turned out great, but i would just buy a original V8 one next time.

Where Are We Going And Why Am I In This Hand basket?

The number of people watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of what you're doing.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next