XB suspension upgrade 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: XB suspension upgrade
Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:45 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: XB

TAS, Australia

Gday,

Im thinking of upgrading the suspension on the old XB sedan. Has anyone used the Whiteline kits?

I was looking at the Heavy duty 24mm front sway bar and the heavy duty 18mm rear bar.

Is there anything else I need to install these or does it all bolt onto factory locations with the gear provided?

Also, the rear shocks are stuffed and the front ones are on the way out. What is a good bang for buck model for a street sedan.

Cheers,

Matt

76XBGS, 383c, custom crow cam, 4V p&p heads, Isky SS Valve+springs, extractors, 2.5"twins, MSD Ignition, Edelbrock intake, Forged bottom end, Barry Grant 750DP, thermo, discs, toploader, Holley fuel pump, SUPERCHARGED!

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: F350

QLD, Australia

Bilstein shocks, and look into the shelby mod for the upper control arm..

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

I'd go the 27mm front bar and 24mm rear bar. The ol' hardtops aren't light.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:20 pm 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

Sounds cool to me, I'll get some prices on monday. Whats this about a 'shelby mod'?

76XBGS, 383c, custom crow cam, 4V p&p heads, Isky SS Valve+springs, extractors, 2.5"twins, MSD Ignition, Edelbrock intake, Forged bottom end, Barry Grant 750DP, thermo, discs, toploader, Holley fuel pump, SUPERCHARGED!

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:26 pm 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopi ... trol%20arm

Isnt the search button great!

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:45 am 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

27mm front swaybar came in yesterday. Rattlegunned the old one off, grease up the new bushes and rattlegun the new one on. 20mins, couldn't be easier. I hope the rear is the same deal.

Now Iv just gotta get the motor finished so I can drive it...

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:31 pm 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

Got the new shocks in the rear all good. The rear swaybar is half in. It is attached to the diff but not to the body.

The whiteline kit came with 2 bolts to attach the brackets to the body.
The brackets have 3 holes, 2x12mm and 1x10mm. The 10mm is the hole for the bolt to attach to the car. The 12mm holes are to attach the strut to either of 2 positions to the swaybar.

Now to my way of thinking, the bracket would be a lot more solid with 2 bolts rather than just one. Or does the bracket need to pivot on the bolt. Does anyone know if there is a reason for only having one bolt or should I just go and drill new holes and put 2 in there?

Cheers,

Matt

Attachments:
MOUNTING BRACKET REAR SWAYBAR.JPG
MOUNTING BRACKET REAR SWAYBAR.JPG [ 12.87 KiB | Viewed 222 times ]

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

When I fitted sway bars to cars that didn't have them on the rear, I would weld the brackets on. Same for the ones on the diff housing.
I did a set on a 9" diff, made the mounts and welded them on the diff.
Also put antisurge plates inside the housing, and put a drain in the bottom so the oil can be changed without pulling the damn thing apart.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:51 pm 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

Thanks mate. I will get another bolt and drill 2 holes in the bracket so it is on there solid. When I pay off my welder I might even weld them on there for piece of mind. Ill do the bottom drain plug when I find a 9", got to be kind to the BW till then.

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Mac Winter 76XB351GS wrote:
Thanks mate. I will get another bolt and drill 2 holes in the bracket so it is on there solid. When I pay off my welder I might even weld them on there for piece of mind. Ill do the bottom drain plug when I find a 9", got to be kind to the BW till then.

You would either need a big ugly ubolt kit or weld the brackets onto a 9" housing anyway, even the smallest 9" housing axle tubes are bigger than BW other than where the spring ubolts are located and some of the late housing tubes are huge.

If you are fitting a 9" do a new filler plug too, some centres are missing the filler hole, 9" centres normally have the filler plug built into them (not the housing) and the hole is pretty small and can be a pain in a the a*** on some cars to remove or fill.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]