Fordmods Logo

ZL Trip Computer 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: ZL Trip Computer
Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:17 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 1984 FD LTD

QLD, Australia

hey everyone, finnally decided to actually DO something on the Fairlane again, but i have issues you could say! lol

anyhow

the trip computer in the my ZL (like many fmont ghias and ZL's) doesnt work all the time, so i pulled it out to have a little look behind there.

when i pulled the plug on it, and looked on the plug (dash side), i saw that there are two wires that have been cut - both the same colour too (Green with red stripe).
looking into the back of the dash, these wires have been joined onto one another.
according to the factory workshop manual, these two wires are the (10 & 10A for those playing along at home) are ment to be "brake lamp wires".

How do i tell these apart to put them back onto the plug - and hopefully make the trip computer work?
(im having a lil trubble following the wiring diagram/have a headache from it now!! lol)

see attached links for pics of what i am talking about.

PS - do you think that putting these wires onto the plug will make the trip computer work?
I know it works SOMETIMES - but not all the time..

cheers in advance guys :)

Links:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/ ... indash.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/ ... mpplug.jpg
^^ this one shows the wires on the plug that are cut

Member Of "Team LWB"
FD: My Current Project

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/ ... age029.jpg

ZL: A Work In Progress - that went to the tip!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/ ... maller.jpg

Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Without finding my old trusty XF workshop manual I can guess it won't fix the trip computer, but your warning panel next to the trip computer will start showing the brake light is out every time you press the brakes.
It is common for this to happen, I am willing to say someone has just cut that out to stop the light coming on when you press the brakes.

But I could be wrong.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:56 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 1984 FD LTD

QLD, Australia

Damage wrote:
It is common for this to happen, I am willing to say someone has just cut that out to stop the light coming on when you press the brakes.

But I could be wrong.

Id say that you are prolly right - i know both the wires are for the systems test panel (well i think they are being they are both brake light wires - one runs to earth)

just a thought that might get the Trip comp to work like... 100% of the time for a change...

cheers matey

Member Of "Team LWB"
FD: My Current Project

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/ ... age029.jpg

ZL: A Work In Progress - that went to the tip!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/ ... maller.jpg

Post subject: Zl trip computer and break wires
Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:02 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1986

SA, Australia

Hi I have a 1986 ZL and a Ford workshop Manual
Break wiring
No 10 picks up power from the fuse block and feeds power to the break switch stop lamp connector (C-28) and the Electronic control unit connector (C-39 ECU)
From the stop lamp No 10 continues to the Trip computer wiring plug connector (C-41)
No 10 at the ECU unit changes and emerges as No10Aand goes to the Trip computer wiring plug (C-41)
On the trip computer No 10 wire is in the corner and No 10A is the second wire in from the corner.
To test which wire is which at the trip computer you should be able to turn on the inigition and with the wires disconnected at the Trip plug, put you foot on the break and test with a globe connected to earth and find the live wire (Only one should be live I hope) this is No 10 Wire from the break switch.

Trip Computer
Open it up and check for cold solder joints at each of the male plug prongs where they connect at the computer board. Safer to resolder all the plug prong points. A cold solder joint will have a fine black line around the pin, you will need a magnifying glass to see them.
Also the Battery, unsolder and replace it is probally corroded and dead.
The Battery Bloke or your equivalent should be able to supply for about $10 Have Fun.

Your Battery. I am looking for specifications (type? size 3V Etc) of the Battery as someone removed the one from my car. If you replace yours could you please forward details of what you replaced it with to parsonspj@iprimus.com.au

I hope this helps but you probally have it all fixed and up and running by now.
Peter

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:51 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Brake lights are wire to the test panel to check resistance and indicate a blown Globe in the tail stop lamps

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:27 am 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Also ensure that the female part of any electrical connectors are closed up enough to make a firm contact with the male pins. This is a fault with all the connectors through out the falcon / Fairlane cars of this era

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]