Fordmods Logo

Auto to Manual Conversion Guide 

Page 10 of 24 [ 346 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 24  Next

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:07 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: toyo,2ea,3eb,1ef,1el,zh

QLD, Australia

good thread fellas--question--my young fella has a sierys 1 EB s-pack 10/91 3-9 multipoint=5speed complete as doner car===wants to put 5 speed into 94-EF-fairmont==can he use the eb pedal box or any other parts off of it ,or just the box/bellhousing/clutch cable/& modify the shifter to suit the EF==== will he have to get ef/manuel ECU or just use auto ECU with resistor setup==thanks :? :roll: :shock: :?:

Last edited by xcbest on Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:57 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EBII

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
jet_pilot wrote:
hmm having trouble with the clutch fork and throwut beariong not sitting in place it keeps falling out a mechanic said that there should be a spring but this guide doesnt mention that and the guy i spoke to is a holden nut that hasnt worked on a t5

there should be a small allen key bolt in the bellhousing that holds the clutch fork in position and the tension on the clutch cable holds it against the pressure plate..it shouldnt come out unless the fork is damaged or it wasnt bolted on properly before it was fitted..

im actually doing a 5 speed conversion on my ed today and the clutch fork doesnt come out unless i undo that allen key bolt..

cheer's troyman the allen key bolt is there might have to play a bit

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

MY GAWD... Boy oh boy - I was told this guy had a T5 that would be a straight bolt on to my EF. I bought it knowing full well that the bellhousing was different, but that was okay as I got the correct bellhousing.

Now my problem is simply that the box has 8 (EIGHT!) holes to connect it to the bellhousing and the housing itself only has four. The box looks to be taller and thiner at the front end, and none of the holes line up in order to get bolts through.

The bellhousing that came with the box uses the same fork and release bearing - it is definately a Ford part from an XF or maybe even earlier... Guess the five speed box must be ancient!

It has a cast steel or iron body where as I was expecting alloy the whole way around. MOST of it is alloy - just the main body where the gears reside within is steel...

Bad luck for me... Mind you, I should be able to make it fit to the bellhousing...

Can anyone shed any light on what the hell is going on here?!

Sheeez - If I had any money I would have just bought a complete ED manual already and be done with all this confusion!

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

jet_pilot wrote:
so its just plug and playh then?
thanks heaps mate

If your EB has smartlock, no.

You will need a EB2 or ED manual ECU to be plug n play. EA ecu may or may not work, due to smartlock on EB 2 onwards falcon's.

That's why i bought a ED GLI 5spd from the auctions, you get all the gear, including the electrical side of things. I just plugged in the manual gearbox loom to the main loom, and plugged in the ED manual ECU. Kicked it in the guts & all is good. It's just hard to find a complete parts donor!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:52 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

fiend wrote:
MY GAWD... Boy oh boy - I was told this guy had a T5 that would be a straight bolt on to my EF. I bought it knowing full well that the bellhousing was different, but that was okay as I got the correct bellhousing.

Now my problem is simply that the box has 8 (EIGHT!) holes to connect it to the bellhousing and the housing itself only has four. The box looks to be taller and thiner at the front end, and none of the holes line up in order to get bolts through.

The bellhousing that came with the box uses the same fork and release bearing - it is definately a Ford part from an XF or maybe even earlier... Guess the five speed box must be ancient!

It has a cast steel or iron body where as I was expecting alloy the whole way around. MOST of it is alloy - just the main body where the gears reside within is steel...

Bad luck for me... Mind you, I should be able to make it fit to the bellhousing...

Can anyone shed any light on what the hell is going on here?!

Sheeez - If I had any money I would have just bought a complete ED manual already and be done with all this confusion!

holly s**t..
can you post a pic of the box?
im thinking steel case gearbox? maybe its a celica 5 speed?

Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Will go and take a photo and get back to edit this reply later in the day...! Should have taken photos yesterday as there are part numbers and serial numbers on the box too... (a*** of me..!)

BORG WARNER: 0507-065900

It is returning a M76 5 Speed from Google...

M76 Borg Warner 5 speed
These gearboxes weren't very strong and couldn't handle allot of torque they were sold with the Carburetor 6 cyl

1st - 3.23
2nd - 1.97
3rd - 1.26
4th - 1
5th - 0.79
REV - 3.37

M76 Borg Warner 5speed 2.75L of Oil

Looks like the guy who sold me this is totally full of s**t. It is a COMMONWHORE gearbox off the VL or VH from the mid 80's.

What an a**.

Am disappointed to say the least. GRRRRRR.

Trying to make up my mind to just take it back or what. I can't afford to go buy the whole lot - although I did see one for $600 here, but just don't have the damn money. Rank.

Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:27 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: WS Ford Fiesta CL manual

VIC, Australia

Sure it isn't the Jap T5 from the XF Falcon? Or am i thinking about Jap single rail? Sorry I'm not too sure, don't regard this post as factual.

Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:08 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

yea mate thats a vh/vk commodore 5 speed box...

i would ask the guy for your money back??
it sounds like the guy that sold you the box has no idea..

Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Daymoe, who should give himself more credit... wrote:
Sure it isn't the Jap T5 from the XF Falcon? Or am i thinking about Jap single rail? Sorry I'm not too sure, don't regard this post as factual.

Dude --- From what I could find on the net, it has led me to believe that this is purely from the 3 litre Commodore VF or VK mid 80's. I am now led to believe that the BorgWarner 0507 xxxx was also found on the back of some Falcon 3.3 crossflow motors. About 20 or 30 were imported into New Zealand with this configuration, and it turns out I am the unlucky owner of one of them.

With my 2 tonne weight and relatively large torque the car will probably chew first promptly, and then gargle it's way through second before swallowing third, spitting fourth, and rinsing the pubes out with fifth.

Quite right mate.

BY "JAP T5" you mean "made by ASIN" (or however it's spelt)... Yeahp, probably. Designed in Aussie apparently, possibly as a stop gap measure until something better came along!.. Licensed by Borg Warner to ASIN (or whatever). ASIN (or whatever) also happen to make (nowadays) Turbos and Superchargers under license - not sure if they still make any Borg Warner labeled stuff, but I know they do a bit of Nissan and Toyota badged machinery.

Did these guys also do a four speed?!...... Gawd........

Thanks for the research idea. Rock on...

Note to self - DO NOT BUY ANY MORE BOXES UNTIL ONE WITH THE *ESACTLY* THE CORRECT BITS APPEARS

Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

I would take it back dude, you were sold the box as a T5, it's damn well not so your entitled to a refund!

I can vouch for how $hit they are at handling torque, my g/f's bro has a VK with this 5spd borgy in it, and man, we have been thru 3 of them in about 3 yrs! Just a piece of crap, no way will it handle the torque of a 4lt falcon! It would barley handle a carby 3.3! It doesn't live for long behind a 3.3 in a VK ffs.

Good luck with it dude.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Thanks man... No worries. Am trying to get rid of it for a bit more than what I bought it for on NZEBAY (trademe) before I confront the half wit who sold it to me... He obviously doesn't want it back and has probably spent the money anyway...

By the way - he's a typical looser case... Broke and not successful in New Zealand, so he's moving to Aussie before Christmas.

Aussie seems to be quite nice to our rejects...
They come back with tales of money and women...
Probably just that - tales.
He even asked me what a "sedan model of yours" would be worth. I said about $2000. He started blabbing on about how his cousin was going to sell him a LTD with brand new mags, lowered and new paint for $2000. After half an hour of it and me saying "Is it really the same model... THE EF / NF / DF?".. He says "Yes... Only difference ---- it's got the squarer front on it, you know - square headlights but other than that it's exactly the same...."

Hahahahahahahahah. Idiot. Apparently he's owned Ford Falcons all his life, and this would be the tenth or eleventh.... Hahahahahaha, Idiot.

Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

he sounds about as clued on as the tyre fitter that fitted & balanced some tyres for me last week

I was worried that my new 60 series 225/16" would foul the suspension on the front as the 205/16" were already very close

"sheeee'll be right mate, theyre both 60 series, that means they both have same sidewall height... 60mm.."

:shock: :shock:

Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

^^^^^^ My giddy Aunt. There's some idiots out there ^^^^^^

Like I keep saying - I ain't a mechanic, BUT.............................!
If these people working in the field can't get it right (or even close) ... Over here to be a builder you need to do a few years on a hammer... Obviously no such thing seems to be appropriate for people dealing with things that can kill you. If I stuff up a building by using the wrong product it may leak a little bit, but unless you roll over in your sleep and drown in the puddle I ain;t never going to kill ya!

For christ sake.
SOMEONE DESIGN SOME LEGISLATION BANNING THESE SORT OF IDIOTS FROM EVER DEALING WITH PEOPLE WHO AREN'T HOLDING BONA FIDE "IDIOT" CARDS THEMSELVES.
If you've bought anything from an IDIOT CARD HOLDER without them having it on clear display in their premise you should have all transactions instantly refunded and voided. The idiot concerned should have his idiot card upgraded to "IDIOT LEVEL 2" and only be allowed to deal with similarly qualified idiots.

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:36 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

ACT, Australia

i just converted my EL fairmont Ghia to manual, still using the auto ECU. The inhibitor switch is in neutral. Car runs, but stalls when stopping, and between gear changes when shifting down slowly: Thermo's are also constantly on.
Is there anything i can do to resolve this problem? Or do i have to buy a manual ECU and Loom.

If so, can i run any EL ecu? Or do i have to get one that had CC?

Help much appreciated!

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF Falcon

QLD, Australia

the resistor mod will stop the thermos being on all the time

for the stalling when you're decelerating, there are two ways around it:
1. Lift the base idle. Do a search on how to do it properly not just winding the throttle screw open more. This is a patch fix and it will still try to stall but the extra revs should catch it.
2. Remove the speed sender cable going to the ECU. When you do that it doesnt realise that you are slowing so it doesnt use the fuel cut that the auto uses. Will run really nicely with this mod but your rev limiter will lower to 4800 rpm (or at least in my EF)

Hope that helps a bit

Nicco's M112 Blown, T-56 equipped EF
forums/viewtopic.php?t=68319

Sort by  
 Page 10 of 24  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 24  Next