Fordmods Logo

Auto to Manual Conversion Guide 

Page 13 of 24 [ 346 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 24  Next

Post subject: Re: Auto to Manual Conversion Guide
Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:04 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 16 images

Power: 165 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I've installed the T5 into EL ghia(3/98) and hooked up resistors in the power line for temp sender and gear selector to trick auto ECU but car wont start, any help asap would be great.

Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:27 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

HP hungry wrote:
I've installed the T5 into EL ghia(3/98) and hooked up resistors in the power line for temp sender and gear selector to trick auto ECU but car wont start, any help asap would be great.

Smart lock?

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

What exactly are the not start symptoms?

Have you checked the obvious? Like the spade connector on the starter motor?

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Have you got this going yet Hungry fella?

Check the fuse ''rev lamp'' and if it's blown you have got the reverse and neutral wires crossed somewhere.

Try getting someone to stand behind car and play with the reverse wires, you should get the reversing lamps turning on...

Both myself and NZEA had issues with starting the cars after putting T5's in. Mine was a crossed wire in the loom between N and REVERSE, and his was something like putting the spade connector on the wrong place on the gearbox.

I think NEUTRAL and REVERSE use different voltages, so if that is wrong you will blow fuses in the cabin and the car will never think it is in NEUTRAL, so simply will not crank over. In this state you should be able to crash start the car as it simply disables starter motor.

Not that I am suggesting you should try crash starting it.... Of course not.... Never....

Hungryfella wrote:
Bloody EL will not start...

Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: DCII LTD V8

New Zealand

Can anyone tell me what the two plugs on the looms are? I'm putting an AU V8 T5 into my LTD, i have a loom here that is possibly for an earlier gearbox, my box only has one plug, and its on the side. the loom i have has 2. Can i just use my existing auto loom thats already in the car? (I am using a manual ECU btw)

1993 LTD V8 Oregon 5 speed "click me"

Trick Flow Heads/Cam/Intake, Crane Ignition, T5Z Trans.

Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:59 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

the plug that is round?= auto transmission solinoids and gear position for ecu..
the rectangle plug is for reverse lights,inhibitor switch and neutral/drive switch.

the rectangle one is the only one you need to use for a manual...

Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:11 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

The not start symptom is the little warning light ( ! ) on the dash when I try to start, which to me points towards I've put the resistor in the wrong coloured wire to trick the ECU.
The guide is different to the wiring harness I have relating to colours, so I have been using the gregory's service manual for the automatic wiring diagram.
So what I have done is put the 1.2k resistor in the temp sender wires and the 7k resistor in the gear select wires of the auto harness. I have picked up the right wires for the reverse lamps so at least thats 2 out of 3 right.

*I have had a thought of just trying the 7k resistor in each wire of the auto harness (except the red one which sends power to the automatics solenoids) untill the car starts, but just want to know if this is a wise decision or will I bugger something?

I want to get this sucker running tonight or tomorrow if possible.

Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:21 pm 

NSW, Australia

HP hungry wrote:
The not start symptom is the little warning light ( ! ) on the dash when I try to start, which to me points towards I've put the resistor in the wrong coloured wire to trick the ECU.
The guide is different to the wiring harness I have relating to colours, so I have been using the gregory's service manual for the automatic wiring diagram.
So what I have done is put the 1.2k resistor in the temp sender wires and the 7k resistor in the gear select wires of the auto harness. I have picked up the right wires for the reverse lamps so at least thats 2 out of 3 right.

*I have had a thought of just trying the 7k resistor in each wire of the auto harness (except the red one which sends power to the automatics solenoids) untill the car starts, but just want to know if this is a wise decision or will I bugger something?

I want to get this sucker running tonight or tomorrow if possible.

is the engine cranking over??
if its not cranking over the inhibitor switch wires need to be joined together to engage the starter relay..
the restors wont stop the car from starting they will only stop it from idling high and stop the thermo fans from running on high speed constantly..

Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:32 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

No the engine won't crank.
OH! ok, looking at the service manual the inhibitor switch/gear select plug has 4 wires, I have put the 7k resistor in the 2 coloured wires that relate to the gear select and have the other 2 wires just taped up so if I join those other 2 wires together I'll be right? and hopefully I can get it to start

Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Have you got a 1.2k on the other one which tells the engine the auto tranny is at ''normal operating temp'' since you no longer have an auto there? Anyways - I, too, got a (!) on trying to start the car and I was blowing REV LAMP fuses as there was a crossed wire between reverse and something else.

Night night.... wrote:

Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:21 pm 

NSW, Australia

HP hungry wrote:
No the engine won't crank.
OH! ok, looking at the service manual the inhibitor switch/gear select plug has 4 wires, I have put the 7k resistor in the 2 coloured wires that relate to the gear select and have the other 2 wires just taped up so if I join those other 2 wires together I'll be right? and hopefully I can get it to start

from memory yes join them together and it should be in buisness..

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:34 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

ok got it to crank once I connected those wires (idiot me), car won't start now have spark and fuel, adjusted the ignition timing it almosts starts but can't quite make it and tips or hands on help?

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

hmmm, to me it could still be a timing issue. Have you checked that the dizzy is not one tooth out?

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: AU Fairlane

SA, Australia

you have done a great job ill use that when im converting my ED, you've saved me a heap of $$ with the ECU thanks

Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:33 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ford eb

NSW, Australia

voxace wrote:
Over the last couple of days I have been busy converting the EF from Auto to Manual. There are a couple of doco's available explaining the process, but I thought I would write one with pictures to make it that little bit easier.

If there are any amendments that need to be made, let me know and I'll fix them up.

Anyways, hope this helps a few people out.

Cheers,
Dave.

hi there,i want to do this to a eb 302 v8 1993 model.any advice would be much appreciated.can i use a six cylinder box? whats compatible? thanks,darren.

Sort by  
 Page 13 of 24  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 24  Next