Fordmods Logo

Auto to Manual Conversion Guide 

Page 21 of 24 [ 346 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

Post subject: Re: Auto to Manual Conversion Guide
Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:14 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 94 tickford enhanced xg ute

TAS, Australia

I know this is a hella old thread but maybe someone on here can help.
I have just finished a very successful transmission swap between 3 cars. most importantly I have just put a 5spd box into my nf fairlane ghia. car has started and drives great, only 1 issue.....
when I roll up to the traffic lights and push in the clutch, the car seems to rev up to the 2000-rpm area, then it drops back down to idle after 5-10 sec's. I cant seem to find any vacuum leaks and am wondering if I should reset the base idle since it is a new ECU.
also, was wondering if anyone could tell me how to "trick" the auto ECU's to think they are in N.
anyway, until I hear a reply, im going to look around for vacuum leaks again :roll:
thanks

Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:56 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

When you say it's a new ecu, is it an auto or manual ecu?

This is for a manual ecu, in a car which was previously auto.

As far as wiring, you can bypass the neutral safety by a link in the rectangular plug behind the inlet manifold, between the two wires that went to the inhibitor switch on the auto (the square 4 pin plug, the other two wires are for reverse). This allows you to start it without having to select neutral.

To tell the ecu if it's in neutral or in gear, you need to use the auto wiring plug (the round one behind the inlet manifold) to connect to the neutral switch.

I can't remember the color of the wires on the trans end of the plug, but on the engine loom side they are black/white and pink/light green (on my EF Fairmont).
Easy Way to check you have the correct ones, on the rubber seal in the back of the plug they have a ▶ pointing between them (not the arrow pointing out).

You should end up with two wires from the rectangular plug linked, and two going down to the reverse switch.
And two wires from the round plug to the neutral switch.

For auto ecu.
You still do the same with the rectangular plug, but the round auto plug will need the resistor trick for neutral and temperature.
Also the auto ecu may cause rev hang as the idle speed control settings are different between auto and manual ecu's.

Ported ED XR6 head shaved too much, AU gasket, custom Crow Cam, Pacemaker 4480's, 5-speed conversion, billet aluminium flywheel, GT clutch, T.I. Performance J3 chip, custom water/methanol injection, modified BA throttle body. Paint&Panel by Barbed Wire Fence.

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:11 am 
Parts Gopher

TAS, Australia

thanks heaps mate, its a good read... and as for my ECU, im running a manual ecu from a factory fitted 5spd gli.
could you also tell me how to get the cruise control to work in the fairlane as since I have changed the ecu, it wont enable on the dash :cry: was a real pity as I was looking fwd to using the cruise.
thanks again

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:11 am 
Parts Gopher

TAS, Australia

thanks heaps mate, its a good read... and as for my ECU, im running a manual ecu from a factory fitted 5spd gli.
could you also tell me how to get the cruise control to work in the fairlane as since I have changed the ecu, it wont enable on the dash :cry: was a real pity as I was looking fwd to using the cruise.
thanks again

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:22 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Sorry mate, not sure about that one.

It may be that the gli ecu doesn't support cruise control?

I had a gli EF Wagon (auto) which was optioned with cruise, and it had a NF ecu fitted, possibly to support cruise.

I'm still using the factory Fairmont ecu in mine, but with a J3 chip installed and running a modified Tickford Manual tune. I have also used the NF ecu in it, with chip installed, same-same.

Someone on here will know for sure if it's the ecu change that has caused loss of cruise control.

Ported ED XR6 head shaved too much, AU gasket, custom Crow Cam, Pacemaker 4480's, 5-speed conversion, billet aluminium flywheel, GT clutch, T.I. Performance J3 chip, custom water/methanol injection, modified BA throttle body. Paint&Panel by Barbed Wire Fence.

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:30 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

cruise control has nothing to do with the engine ecu. it has a module of its own.
I would be checking the brake light switch as you would have been down there fitting pedal or pedal box.
no brake light=no cruise control..
another thing is your car wont have the wires for the cruise control clutch switch.
your cruise control can still work but if you push the clutch in while using cruise control you car will rev its nuts off lol

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
your cruise control can still work but if you push the clutch in while using cruise control you car will rev its nuts off lol

you only tend to forget about it once! well for me anyway. haven't forgot about it since! lol

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:56 am 
Parts Gopher

TAS, Australia

:lol: yea I have done the usual checks and the cruise was working fine before the conversion but now, when I press "on" the "cruise" light dosnt even come on. :roll: I already miss using it :cry:

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:11 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 1997 Ford El Falcon Gli Wagon

SA, Australia

You're a life saver, mate. Thank you, so much. This is an incredibly detailed document. The coloured pictures make it so much easier to follow than any workshop manual, too! I really appreciate your work and have saved and printed a copy for future reference! :D

Turns out my timing chain or some other timing element failed as my cam no longer rotates when cranking the engine. So my first major mechanical job is removing my engine to diagnose/replace the failed timing components.

Wish me luck, fellas and If I need any help I will be sure to post a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Ride: '97 EL Falcon GLi Wagon
Mods: 2.5" Redback catback, 6000k HID, Blue LED Trip Computer, Blue LED dash, LED Audi Style Parker Lights, Footwell Lighting, White interior door handles with fade in and out with parker lights, Fairlane rear courtesy lamp.

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:07 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ed futura

VIC, Australia

I have downloaded this document but it wont open! I just want to know hoe to trick an el auto ecu into working with a manual box in an ed falcon. Ive now wasted over 2 hrs on this so just gimme a straight answer to how its done. Thanks.

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:21 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

eddy the ed wrote:
I have downloaded this document but it wont open! Ive now wasted over 2 hrs on this so just gimme a straight answer to how its done. Thanks.

have you downloaded Adobe Acrobat as its an adobe document?

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:31 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ed futura

VIC, Australia

I only have a mobile to view & download documents. I even used my friends high end samsung & no luck. I just want to know how to trick the ecu into working with a manual. Can someone just copy & paste the relevant info here?

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:43 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF XR6/EL Fairmont GHIA

VIC, Australia

--Going to try 'roughredXR6' method on this page (21) and will update as to whether or not it is the solution to my problem--

Basically I converted my EF XR6 to manual with the auto ECU and didn't do any resistor trick or anything. Just disconnected an old loom and plugged in this one (pictured) and it has worked completely fine apart from some idling issues such as it ranging from 900-1200rpm then sometimes it will sit at approx 2000RPM and wont drop back down. It started up first go etc though completely fine.

Currently installed: Image

So I recently purchased an EF XR6 manual ECU and connected that and power windows etc work but the car won't start. It attempts to for about a second and then dies. I assume this is a wiring issue of some sort and I've missed a step in the conversion guide.

This is the loom which I removed when I converted the car and has run fine (apart from slight idle issues): Image
It is currently in the shed (just took the pic a few minutes ago).

Could somebody please suggest what I am supposed to do to get the car working completely normal (like if it were a manual from factory) with my manual EF XR6 ECU and those wiring looms that I have?? Or do I need something else? Cheers!

EDIT: Auto ECU back in for now, car turned on first go like always.

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:59 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

you have done everything right, I would say your manual ecu is stuffed..

the only things required to make auto ecu work in manual correctly is the resistor required on the loom for trans temp, this allows the fans to operate correctly and a resistor for gear position, this tells the ecu its in neutral and this should fix up the high idle....

pretty sure all the details to this are in this thread...

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 96 EL XR6

QLD, Australia

If it runs fine with the auto ecu, I'd say your manual one is cactus. You couldn't have messed up the wiring just by plugging in the manual box loom.

So it either has something todo with your wiring on your windows, or its your ecu.

But you just proved that it's not your window wiring by switching back to the auto ecu.

EL XR6, T5 Speed - Full Factory Fitted Tickford Body Kit, AU Engine, Billet Camtech 845 Cam, J3 Chip, MLS Gasket, Intake, Extractors, High flow cat, 2 1/2in exhaust, K&N Air Filter, 3.45 LSD, - My Pride and Joy

Sort by  
 Page 21 of 24  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next