Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: How to Install the FPV Start Button
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:23 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: BA XR6

New Zealand

Hello all...

I have fitted a genuine FPV start button to my XR6 and documented it as I went.

Contents in the packet are the switch assembly, various plastic connectors and a relay wiring loom.

***NOTE***
I have wired it up bypassing the relay in the loom (I don’t use any yellow wires or the relay attached to the loom) as my BA XR6 already had a starter relay in the system.

1# Firstly select a position where you would like to place the button. There is nothing behind where it goes so placement is not critical.

2# Drill a 28mm hole through the first layer of the dash, vinyl and foam. (BE CAREFULL)

3# Drill a 23mm hole in the plastic backing of the dash.

This is a tight fit and it will hold the button in place but if you want to secure the button with the nut supplied then you will need to remove the ICC unit. Use this link for that.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/vbportal/m ... cle&id=182

The wires of the button should go thru the hole and drop down by the driver’s footrest with a little patience and swearing. Secure the button into the dash then connect the 3 wires into the blank plastic connector so that it will plug into the new wiring loom supplied and the corresponding wires will match.

4# Remove the fuse box cover and the lower steering column cover.

5# Find the big WHITE Ignition plug connector from the Ignition switch at the bottom of the column and disconnect it. (Photo1)

6# Using a pick lift the top of the plug flap up and then using the pick again unclip the 2 wires RED/GREEN (Ign) and RED/BLUE (to starter). They are located in the middle of the block and you must note which hole they came out of. (Photo2)

7# Get the new loom and locate the RED/GREEN wire hanging by itself and Plug that wire into the big white Ignition plug where you removed the original RED/GREEN wire from. Push the top back down on the plug and refit connect it to the column.

8# Plug the RED/GREEN and RED/BLUE wires that you removed from the big white Ignition plug into the blank plastic connector that comes with the loom kit in the correct holes so the connections of these 2 wires will plug into the new loom and match the same 2 wires in the loom already. Plug all connectors back together. (Photo3)

9# Route the wiring nicely and connect the Start button wires (hanging by footrest) into the loom.

10# From the loom there are 2 GREEN/RED wires, connect anyone of these wires to Earth and this will make the switch light up.

That’s it, all finished.
The light on my button is RED and is powered all the time, just visible by day and cool look at night, would have been nice to be able to get a blue coloured one to match the rest of my lights.

The whole thing took me less than 1 hour including pulling the ICC out. (but I’m good, hehehee) it might take you a little longer.

Have fun.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hi-flow airfilter
Hi-flow cold air box
Mesh Grills
Lowered 45mm, Kings Progressive springs
FPV Start Button
Gauge pod with Glowshift Tinted 7 smoke blue backlit gauges
HPC coated Extractors with full 2.5" Rage system no cat.
Flashed ECU
19" 6 Spoke Zoom Hyper black wheels F19x8.5, R19x9.5

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

cool, nice work. good on ya mate

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

Awesome, thanks for that.. would like to fit something like this to my BA, even though the novelty will probably wear out in a week :D

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA XR8, XD Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

we supply instructions when we sell starter buttons so they fit up the same as FPV conect them. doesnt take long at all.

what happens when you push the starter button with the car running??
whith the factory wiring the button is disabled when the car is running.

t

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:20 pm 
Technical Contributor

New Zealand

Why would you push the button when the engine is running anyway? If you did the starter would turn on, no biggie thats what the pinion clutch is for.

Please people dont critisise this techo.

I put this up here for those that are interested in installing the button where no one else is willing to help unless you buy a button off them.

These forums are about helping other ford members, if your not interested in helping out, piss off!

Hi-flow airfilter
Hi-flow cold air box
Mesh Grills
FPV Start Button
Flashed ECU

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:31 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

ahh,
Well he's actually contributing, if you wire it this way.. he'll get more customers wanting starters and or ring gears.

Theres an issue that needs amending.

When was the last time someone sat in the passenger seat and didn't 'fidget'.

The forums here to help one another, and or open to others opinions.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA XR8, XD Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

Krytox wrote:
ahh,
Well he's actually contributing, if you wire it this way.. he'll get more customers wanting starters and or ring gears.

Theres an issue that needs amending.

When was the last time someone sat in the passenger seat and didn't 'fidget'.

The forums here to help one another, and or open to others opinions.

this is exactly what i was pointing out.

the button is to the LH side of the driver and within reach of passengers ect.
it should be pointed out that this wiring will work but is not to factory specs.

i wasnt discouraging you from putting your doco up here i was pointing out an obvious problem with the wiring.

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:45 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

is it possible to wire up the button in a way that will still allow the key to start the car as well. i find it the most annoying thing at work that u have to use the starter button, and i drive these cars on an almost daily basis

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:54 am 
Technical Contributor

New Zealand

Ive just finished wiring up the other part of the loom that I didnt connect at the start of this post, the Yellow relay wires.

Ill make up diagrams and post up here by ammending my original post if I can.
This way it will all be factory!!!!

To keep you idiots happy that have passengers leaning over and pushing the button whilst the engine is running.

If any passenger leaned over and pushed my button, id give em a smack in the chops.

Hi-flow airfilter
Hi-flow cold air box
Mesh Grills
FPV Start Button
Flashed ECU

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:30 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: xr6

QLD, Australia

MATTATHM,

CHOICE ARTICLE ON HOW TO INSTALL THE STARTER BUTTON, I AM LOOKING INTO BUYING ONE FROM EBAY HOW MUCH DID YOU PAY AND WHERE DID YOU BUY IT FROM???

ALSO YOU SAID YOU HAVE REWIRED IT SO IT IS NOW FACTORY WIRED,IE SO THE PASSENGER CAN'T ENGAGE THE STARTER WHILST THE ENGINE IS RUNNING.CAN YOU POST THIS UPDATE FOR ME.IT WOULD BE AWESOME BRO.

i WAS ALSO WONDERING DO YOU HAVE TO REMOVE THE ICC OR CAN YOU TAKE THE INSTUMENT CLUSTER OUT TO GET ACCESS BEHIND THE DASH.OR IS IT JUST AS EASY TO REMOVE THE ICC.
ALSO COULD YOU PLEASE TELL HOW TO QUICKLY REMOVE THE ICC.

i HAD A LOOK AT YOUR GALLERY,SWEET LOOKING RIDE BRO!!! i HAVE A BA MK11 VELOCITY XR6 TOO ONLY HAD IT SINCE FEB SO LOOKING FOR MODS.CAN YOU EXPLAIN YOUR GUAGE SET UP WHERE YOU GOT IT FROM AND IF IT WAS A PAIN IN THE a** TO WIRE UP THE OIL PX AND WATER TEMP

CHEERS FLESH :lol:

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:03 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: xr6

SA, Australia

a fpv starter that would be really cool, factory wired, even beter

xr's always

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

mattathm wrote:
Ive just finished wiring up the other part of the loom that I didnt connect at the start of this post, the Yellow relay wires.

Ill make up diagrams and post up here by ammending my original post if I can.
This way it will all be factory!!!!

To keep you idiots happy that have passengers leaning over and pushing the button whilst the engine is running.

If any passenger leaned over and pushed my button, id give em a smack in the chops.

don't take constructive criticism of your doco personally .. we're all here to make them better, and if someone finds something that isn't quite right then it gets improved!!

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:09 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Doesn't look too bad at all.. I installed one on my EF, but for a completely different reason.. My immobiliser computer under the dash crapped itself and wouldn't let me start the car with the key, so i bypassed it with a push button... was gunna grab a new computer this week but i kinda like the button so i might hold out for a while... LOL... The novelty of its still there, its funny watchin idiots try and start my car...

Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: FG XR8, F6 F6 ute, XR5T, Capri

WA, Australia

nashy, could you give some info how you installed/connected yours?

Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:02 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Its pretty simple to connect.
1)Go up under your motor, find the solenoid connection, connect a seperate wire to it, just a bypass, no need to disconnect the original wire, i think i used 12 or 14 gauge, somethin pretty thick to carry current.
2)Run your wire back into the cabin. Go to repco and pick up a push button, around $10-20 depending on how fancy you want it
3)Sort thru your ignition wires til you find the one that only carries crrent when ignition is swithced to on, otherwise you'll be able to kick the car over without the ignition even being on
4)Tap into that wire and run it to the push button
5)Hook it all up, find a nice spot on your dash for the button an bobs your muthers brother...

Its not exactly the most proffesional job but it works, and if all the wires are hidden and the connections good, no-one will know a thing. I think it cost me around $20-30 and only to an hr or two to hook up

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next