Fordmods Logo

The Routine Oil Change 

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: The Routine Oil Change
Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:15 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford EB II Falcon

SA, Australia

I have seen someone somewhere on here saying that we should have some threads on how to perform your simple service jobs, but i as yet could not find it so i decided to change my oil today and document it. (If i have missed something feel free to add something. Also i was going to email this to a mod first but my "Painting Rocker Cover" tech doco was emailed quite some time ago and no response.)

Changing your Oil is a simple and extremely effective way to maintain your vehicle, the car i have done this oil change on is my 1993 EB Series II Falcon ! In this oil change i decided to try 2 new things, using a "Motocraft" Oil Filter and some Mitsubishi 15w-50 Oil (Which i have heard good things about from others on this site)

Things you need !

Motor Oil (I paid $34 for mine, but its good stuff, or so ive heard)
Oil Filter (Ryco, Repco ones can be had for $5 I spent $14.90 on a Motocraft one)
Oil Filter Removal Tool (About $12 From Autopro or elsewhere)
19mm Socket or Spanner (To remove the sump)
Drain Pan (The sump can hold 5.5plus liters so get at least a 6 litre one)
Engine Flush (Optional but allows for better results i paid $13)
By peaandham, shot with FinePix A600 at 2010-01-18

First step i did was drive the car down the Ford to get my Filter and then elsewhere to get what ever else i needed, once home i poured the whole bottle of Engine Flush in the Motor and let it idle for about 10-15 minutes !

Once the car is nice and warm (some people will say that when the car is cold is the best time to do the oil, but that is wrong the warmer, the better all the old oil will flow out better, my was scolding hot but i wanted great results, just make sure you dont burn yourselves) get under the car with the drain pan and spanner or socket and undo the sump/drain plug. once the plug is loose the oil will pour out into the drain pan (see image)

I waited about 30 Minutes to have all the oil drain out of the sump (waiting this long isnt necessary but the more you can drain out the better) hell just go have a beer while you wait (FM or myself do not accept responsibility for any alcohol related injuries incurred during this task, or any other injuries for that fact).

Once done get under the front right of the car and locate the Oil Filter (a jack may aid this process) and grasp your oil filter tool onto the filter like the diagram below

Turn to the left while tightening the grip and loosen, once loosened it'll just come off with turning it by hand. Once separated from the car tip the oil out of the filter into the drain pan.

The reason why i spent so much on a oil filter is that the Ford Branded "motocraft" filter on the left in the image has larger breather holes and supposedly yields better results !

put a film of your new oil around the seal of the new filter and screw it back onto the car (by hand only) until secure. Once secure screw your sump plug back into place and then it is time for your to pour your new oil into the hole that is presented when the Oil Filler cap is removed (i used a big mouth funnel to aid me in this step)

Run the car and if all done correctly your car should run a bit smother and there should be no oil on the floor where you worked on the car !

OLD CAR: EB II Falcon, Everglade Green, 250thous (Rough Guess), Wildcat Extractors, 2.5 Exhaust with Muffler + Hot Dog, 18 Inch Rodney Jane Mags, XH Snorkel, EA MPEFI Tubing !

NEW CAR: 1996 TE Magna...Mods Soon To Come

Last edited by peaandham on Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: The Routine Oil Change
Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Very well done matey, I am sure that there are guys/girls on here who are too afraid to ask how to go about this and you have helped them and also some guys who only have some of the answers. :D

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:22 pm 
Technical Contributor

SA, Australia

My favorite part of this was seeing how the oil performed after reading this thread

off-topic-f6/the-reason-i-don-t-like-penrite-oil-with-pics-t85833-40.html

(ingore all but the last two pages where Cjh and uniacidz mentioned the Mitsubishi Oil) and after putting the oil in i have no complaints car is running really nice now (except for the brakes, but Motor oil cant fix that). I will not just have to wait till the cars cold tomorrow morning to see how the 15w-50 holds up in cold weather ! I had an issue with Penrite in cold weather, but engine Armour was good and at $34 a bottle i hope this is better !

OLD CAR: EB II Falcon, Everglade Green, 250thous (Rough Guess), Wildcat Extractors, 2.5 Exhaust with Muffler + Hot Dog, 18 Inch Rodney Jane Mags, XH Snorkel, EA MPEFI Tubing !

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:29 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: ED GLi

QLD, Australia

i hope you replaced the sump plug :oops: you didnt mention doing that if someon follows your doco step by step they might forget to do it :lol:

and on the eighth day God created the Falcon

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:38 pm 
Technical Contributor

SA, Australia

I thought about it while i was writing and thought i did ! Time to fix then !

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:48 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

There was a thread that was started...but noone else continued on with other general maintenances.

fordmods-technical-documents-diy-f38/general-maintenence-docco-t23004-20.html

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:15 pm 
Technical Contributor

SA, Australia

Also i plus the Motocraft filter comes already lubed around the seals !

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:26 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Good work mate.

Got any more docos lined up?

Cheers

Josh

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:28 pm 
Technical Contributor

SA, Australia

If i try something new soon i will take photos and upload ! Im not mechanically gifted so thats a bit of an issue !

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:08 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Eb2 ghia

VIC, Australia

so its ok to replace the filter hand tight and leave it at that? and at the risk of sounding silly do u tighten the sump plug as tight as it will go?,....

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:24 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Yeah the filter should only be tightened by hand, as it will become tight over time anyway. But not too lose, Just not over tight :wink:

With the sump plug, dont tighten it as tight as it will go mate, you will risk stripping the thread. Do it up with a spanner until it starts to get tight and then go half a turn more with the spanner.

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

I normally do the filter up hand tight, then give it a tweak with wrench, like 1/4 turn.
Like XR Lane said, sump plug you do up with your socket/wrench until it bites, then you just make sure its firm, which is like half a turn or so.
I also fill the filter up with oil prior to fitting to the car, about 1/2 to 3/4 full (not so much that it spills out when tipped on an angle). That way you dont have a big air lock in your oil system.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:48 pm 
Technical Contributor

SA, Australia

I've really only heard that filling the new filter with oil, is only really necessary for a new car to prime the oil filter/pump, where as just a film of oil around the seal on other cars is fine ! I was happy to see that the Motorcraft filters already have oil on there, pretty handy !

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:44 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Eb2 ghia

VIC, Australia

so no need to fill the filter? just lube the edge and screw on?

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:23 pm 
Technical Contributor

SA, Australia

Yep !

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next