Fordmods Logo

18in FG Wheels on BA Ute 

Page 3 of 4 [ 46 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: 18in FG Wheels on BA Ute
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:14 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

If that's what it is I'll owe you a beer, mate... and myself a slap on the head!

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:17 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BA XLS Ute

VIC, Australia

ED77 wrote:
If that's what it is I'll owe you a beer, mate... and myself a slap on the head!

Hahaha I'd put a slab on it! :D All good dood, if i'm ever in Sydney i'll drink that beer and slap you myself!!! :lol:

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:22 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

hahaha I'll pay the beer but put the slap on the tab...

On another note, I just realized the XLS ute with a nice interior I saw ages ago is yours! Congrats mate!! It looks tops!

Mine is bone stock except for the wheels now... I got some DBA slotted disks + some new pads and that will probably be it. Just trying to get her to behave more like a safe car! hahaha Everything else is in top order though.

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:28 am 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

ED77 wrote:
hahaha I'll pay the beer but put the slap on the tab...

On another note, I just realized the XLS ute with a nice interior I saw ages ago is yours! Congrats mate!! It looks tops!

Mine is bone stock except for the wheels now... I got some DBA slotted disks + some new pads and that will probably be it. Just trying to get her to behave more like a safe car! hahaha Everything else is in top order though.

Yeah thanks mate, I'm thinking about doing a bit of a brake upgreade at the moment, was just waiting till i need new disc's.. Just fitted a genuine Pursuit body kit (minus the front bar), looks pretty sweet i think. Need to stop wasting money on pretty bits and add some go fast bits! :lol:

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:36 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

If it's the set I saw on ebay, it looks tops! I wanted get them myself 'cause the XLS looks like it's missing something with no side skirts... Problem is I tend to spend my cash on my race bike and the ute only gets good maintenance! hahaha

I haven't fitted the brakes yet... bought them 3 months ago when they were on sale but now I sort of regret it 'cause I could have gotten the larger discs but decided against it when I learned the stock 16in wheels wouldn't fit over them.

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:43 am 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

ED77 wrote:
If it's the set I saw on ebay, it looks tops! I wanted get them myself 'cause the XLS looks like it's missing something with no side skirts... Problem is I tend to spend my cash on my race bike and the ute only gets good maintenance! hahaha

I haven't fitted the brakes yet... bought them 3 months ago when they were on sale but now I sort of regret it 'cause I could have gotten the larger discs but decided against it when I learned the stock 16in wheels wouldn't fit over them.

Ah yeah fair enough, i'd be spending coin on a race bike too... If i had one. :lol: You'll be amazed at the difference the wheels will make to the feel of the steering, when i put the 18's on mine it felt so much more direct and stable. I wouldn't worry about having the smaller disc, from what i hear slotted discs and some good pads are all you really need...

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:58 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

I hope so... my ute doesn't have traction control/ABS/slip diff so the tires do get their work cutout hahaha Main problems I have are the front pushing wide on roundabouts and the stupid brake shudder... I'm hopping to at least improve those 2 areas with these new parts. I read about getting new wheel hubs as well to help with the shudder... not sold on the idea yet but at $50 a pair it's not that bad.

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:17 am 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

ED77 wrote:
I hope so... my ute doesn't have traction control/ABS/slip diff so the tires do get their work cutout hahaha Main problems I have are the front pushing wide on roundabouts and the stupid brake shudder... I'm hopping to at least improve those 2 areas with these new parts. I read about getting new wheel hubs as well to help with the shudder... not sold on the idea yet but at $50 a pair it's not that bad.

I put superlow king springs, GT monroe sport shocks (i think) and a caber kit because i lowered it... And it felt like i was driving a completely different car when i chucked the 18's on... No sidewall roll, was heaps nicer to drive instantly. I've never had any issue at all with brake shudder, but i hear that getting your discs machined on the car is the best thing you can do for that. But like i said, never had a problem so don't really know.

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:28 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

I thought about lowering it a bit... I do wonder if it would cause any issues when carrying the bike though. I only drive maybe 10K a year (prob less) and never carry anything else on the ute other than the bike and race gear (total 230Kg max! Bike is around 160Kg) but I do need the ute to be able to carry all that plus the occasional passenger.

I saw some lowering kits on ebay (leafs and springs) but they would set me back around 1.5-2K all up from what I can understand... not really worth it for the amount of K's I do a year.

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: "08 XR6T Ute

QLD, Australia

It can be lowered for less then that, you can have a little fiddle with the leaf arrangement and also shouldn't affect your load carrying ability... Then just replace springs in front and of a*** shocks. I lowered my fg, springs/shocks/struts(sedan) for $670 from stock to ultra rear super front gt Monroe all round.
Check out BenJ's thread on how he did his EB wagon leafs, and he still tows decent loads and at legal height. Pretty cheap really... Compared to my research (used to have a AUii xr6 ute).

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:09 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Hmmm I may have to look into that. I mean, it would definitely make loading the bike a bit easier right... (that was never an issue but I need an excuse to get this through my penny pinching brain hahaha)

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: "08 XR6T Ute

QLD, Australia

Haha yeah sounds like a good 'reason' to me... But it will actually make it a fair bit easier, amazing what a few inches will do...
But yeah can be done to a good standard for fairly cheap...

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:50 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

Got those wheels on yet? I got new springs and shocks all round fitted for less than a grand.

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:52 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Now correct me if I'm wrong but you guys suggest I put superlows on the front and that would make it 50mm lower, right?

I know it's not the best picture but I reckon 50mm would be touch and go with the space I have left... and that's with the car empty. Throw in the driver (80kg - sort of) a passenger and some groceries and things could get tight.

Btw, thank you all for the replies!! Especially BAXLS03 for pointing out my stupidity! hahahaha The wheels do fit and there's maybe a full cm between the tire and that bit of suspension that "no-man-knows-the-name"! I almost feel like I should add some 10mm spacers anyway just in case... hahaha and maybe 20mm spacers at the back cause there's PLENTY of room for more there. At a guess I'd say you can fit a 9.5 rim there, that's how much room there seems to be!

Ps: I know... car is filthy! It's been parked on a carspace for since May 'cause I was overseas. Less mileage on the odo, I guess...

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:59 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

One more for good measure...

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next