Fordmods Logo

3.7 Diff gears 

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: XR6 Turbo, XR8, Transit

VIC, Australia

I have an electronic speedo adjustor in my XR8.

its basically just a little box with 8 dipswitches in it. Its piss easy to setup and use. all you really need is a basic understanding of binary.

I got mine for free, so I am not sure how much they are. speak to mall wood - he organised mine (it came from a company in melb)

1993 ED XR8 - Poly Green
2006 BF GT - Silhouette Black
2011 FG XR6 Ute - Nitro Blue

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: MY06 REX

WA, Australia

downingj wrote:
Has anyone got any time slips with their 3.08's etc etc, then again with their 3.45's / 3.7's???

It would be very interesting to see the difference...

I dont have time slips on me, but I went from 13.9 down to 13.5 with a change of ratio from 3.08 to 3.7 (but keep in mind my torque curve will be a lot different to your inline 6's)

The Evil Strawberry

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EB GLi 4.0L

SA, Australia

danbode wrote:
so is it as easy as just getting the gears and pulling the 3.45 out and putting the 3.7 in?

it isnt just that easy. guys with 25 spline EA diffs can use their housing to fit R31 gears(3.7, 3.89, 4.11) in but all you other guys EB (onwards like myself) have to get yourself an EA 3spd/25spline diff housing. then put the pinion (ie. 3.89) into it (the R31 stuff doesn't fit EB onwards housings). and your current 28 spline carrier and axels but stick the corresponding crownwheel onto it (ie. 3.89) and put the diff together. then your next problem is that EB onwards use fatter lower trailing arm bushes then EAs so you either need to:

1. get EA lower trailing arms and use shims at the front (washers or something)
2. get any e-series arms and have EB -> bushes pressed in one end and EA ones in the other (this will be more expensive)

then your diff will bolt straight into the car and give you have more pickup. i definately recomend this to anyone looking for a big increase in acceleration. this is pretty hard to do yourself though and i wouldn't recomend anyone try it at home unless they know a bit about diffs. also the diff's in R31s have a common problem: the upper trailing arm bushes wear and the diff rolls forward which wears the gear funny and causes them to make noise so its gonna be hard finding a a*** in good condition. i got my 3.89s for free and they are quite noisy (most of you guys would probably swoon at the thought that its my daily driver 8-) )

so in conclusion you can do it cheap like i did (free gears, $30 housing from u-pull-it, $15 trailing arms from u-pull-it and some oil) but my diff is very noisy however it works and it is fun 8-)

otherwise if your car isnt a hoon-mobile like mine then get a shop to do it for you and it'll be shimmed properly, quiet and hopefully have a long life. if you live in Adelaide then Boss Racing Differentials at Lonsdale are the people to see.

EBII 4.0L GLi | T5 | 3.27 Spool | POD | KKK K27 Turbo | 600x300x76 FMIC | 40mm Wastegate (dead) | RPD Stg1 Cam | B&M Launch Control | Thermos | 3" Dump | Twin 2.25" Zorst | 197kw@3500rpm, 7psi LEAN!

To Come: Hydraulic Handbrake | Coilover Springs | Fuel Pump | Microtech MT8 | 455cc Injectors

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB GLi 4.0L

SA, Australia

also you can buy a*** for the newer falcon diffs lie 3.73s but they cost about $300-$400 for the gears then you need them fitted (professionally) which will prolly cost about $1000

EBII 4.0L GLi | T5 | 3.27 Spool | POD | KKK K27 Turbo | 600x300x76 FMIC | 40mm Wastegate (dead) | RPD Stg1 Cam | B&M Launch Control | Thermos | 3" Dump | Twin 2.25" Zorst | 197kw@3500rpm, 7psi LEAN!

To Come: Hydraulic Handbrake | Coilover Springs | Fuel Pump | Microtech MT8 | 455cc Injectors

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: 1999 XHII XR8, 2002 AU Fairmont

Power: 236 rwkw

WA, Australia

i got brand new 3.73 gears fitted with all new bearings for $1100

STREETBUILT RACING
1999 XHII Falcon XR8 Ute 5.0L, TKO600 5spd, KB 2.1L Blower, 6.5psi, 12.2@113mph!!

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

I paid for a 9" LSD packed with 4.11 for $1000 (or something close to that, it was a few years ago now)

I couldnt fix your brakes so I made your horn louder

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

MikGan wrote:
I paid for a 9" LSD packed with 4.11 for $1000 (or something close to that, it was a few years ago now)

hey dude id be lookin at somethin similair where bout did u get it done...was it in ACT ?

Cheers
Kev

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

Nar was in melbourne, at a mob called Preston Auto and Diff, ppl pay em out for being on the chap side, but I beat the crap outta mine and I think the LSD has only just paid out, so got a good 4 years outta it behind my 351, so for the price I think its good kit.

I couldnt fix your brakes so I made your horn louder

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Slabz wrote:
danbode wrote:
so is it as easy as just getting the gears and pulling the 3.45 out and putting the 3.7 in?

it isnt just that easy. guys with 25 spline EA diffs can use their housing to fit R31 gears(3.7, 3.89, 4.11) in but all you other guys EB (onwards like myself) have to get yourself an EA 3spd/25spline diff housing. then put the pinion (ie. 3.89) into it (the R31 stuff doesn't fit EB onwards housings). and your current 28 spline carrier and axels but stick the corresponding crownwheel onto it (ie. 3.89) and put the diff together. then your next problem is that EB onwards use fatter lower trailing arm bushes then EAs so you either need to:

1. get EA lower trailing arms and use shims at the front (washers or something)
2. get any e-series arms and have EB -> bushes pressed in one end and EA ones in the other (this will be more expensive)

then your diff will bolt straight into the car and give you have more pickup. i definately recomend this to anyone looking for a big increase in acceleration. this is pretty hard to do yourself though and i wouldn't recomend anyone try it at home unless they know a bit about diffs. also the diff's in R31s have a common problem: the upper trailing arm bushes wear and the diff rolls forward which wears the gear funny and causes them to make noise so its gonna be hard finding a a*** in good condition. i got my 3.89s for free and they are quite noisy (most of you guys would probably swoon at the thought that its my daily driver 8-) )

so in conclusion you can do it cheap like i did (free gears, $30 housing from u-pull-it, $15 trailing arms from u-pull-it and some oil) but my diff is very noisy however it works and it is fun 8-)

otherwise if your car isnt a hoon-mobile like mine then get a shop to do it for you and it'll be shimmed properly, quiet and hopefully have a long life. if you live in Adelaide then Boss Racing Differentials at Lonsdale are the people to see.

perfect example of some one who should not be working on cars

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL Futura

SA, Australia

I was under the impression that R31 gears would fit. I didn't know there was a difference between crown and pinon wheels for the 25 and 28 spline centres.

5 Speed EL Futura
Stock as a rock*
A1 Oils - Synthetic lubricants: www.a1oils.com.au
* A rock that has been Alted

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

Slabz wrote:
danbode wrote:

it isnt just that easy. guys with 25 spline EA diffs can use their housing to fit R31 gears(3.7, 3.89, 4.11) in but all you other guys EB (onwards like myself) have to get yourself an EA 3spd/25spline diff housing. then put the pinion (ie. 3.89) into it (the R31 stuff doesn't fit EB onwards housings). and your current 28 spline carrier and axels but stick the corresponding crownwheel onto it (ie. 3.89) and put the diff together.

not sure if this is entirely correct....there r 2 different sized crown and pinion gear setups (78 series and 75)...
EF/EL 3.08 housings r 75 and cannot accept 78 stuff without machining...
fairly sure everything else is 78 stuff which means compatable with R31

anyway ill be doing a diff gear swap on an EF 3.23 diff using 3.7 R31 gears shortly so ill let u know how I go

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2