Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: 3.9 gears
Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

gday im gonna go from 3.08 ratio to 3.9 and i was wondering will the 3.9 gears fit straight into my diff. Does anyone know where i could get them aswell

Cheers

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:32 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Yeha i was just about to post basically the same thing I've got an EB sII with 3.22 gears and i was quoted $1200 by preston autos and they said i would have to change my housing!

I've got a 28 spline spool ready to go but am unsure about diff gears@!

Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: A massive sideways utensil.

NSW, Australia

Gezza, my original diff was a 3.08:1 which is in a 94 I6 EF gli.

I have gone from that to 3.73:1, and now
im on 3.91:1 ratio and i havent had any problems
fitting the gears to the housing.
I cant see why you wouldent be able to either....

I get all my diff stuff thru G&J Differentials in melbourne, they are incorperated with Street&Strip gears, who make most of there gear sets and axels.
There stuff is made strong.

XR6 conversion, CAI, 3inch intake, modified intake plenum, polished TB, 2.5inch exhaust, modified cat, pwr radiator and expansion tank, BTR, kevlar bands, JMM 3K converter, shiftkit, 3.91, 31spline spool, 31spline billet axel$, Nolathane, RDA golds, Custom interior, genuine GT's

Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:36 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF XR6

QLD, Australia

Not nessicarily every gear will fit it does depend on the particular centre you have ther are 78 series gears and 75 series gears (78 series gears being the better ones, you will find 75 series gears in a pintara borgy). some centers only take 75 series and some take both. to know for sure you would have to know what the number is on your centre. If it is the stock diff centre a good diff shop should be able to tell you what centre was the factory fitment and intern which gears you need. Send Mall Wood a email he will explain it better for you

EF XR6 Manual 271RWHP/199RWKW N/A using Stock manifold with dual plane runners still operating. EFI Hardware 6TBM to come mid year.

Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BF GT, EL Xr, Xp mont, 4runner

Power: 137 rwkw

NSW, Australia

if your on the cheap, then scout the wreckers for pintara and early skyline diffs. the pintara is 4.11 and the skyline is 3.9. its all borg warner stuff and goes straight in.

84 4runner.......needs boost
El xr6.....needs dohc boost
Xp fairmont......needs boosted 8
Bf GT......cant afford boost no more

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:06 am 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

with the pintara gears there are 3.90 and 3.89 ratios. These are actually the same gear size what happend was that the original gears, which i think was the 3.89 ratio, were failing during the original warrenty period of the cars (excessive noise). So to know which diff gears had been changed the new ones fitted under warrenty were stamped with 3.90 and were slightly better with respec to the noise. but dont worry about there strength they are both comprable. a mate of mine used to use them in a twin turbo vp and he only broke one set and that was because of a locker. they are a good cheap option

EF XR6 Manual 271RWHP/199RWKW N/A using Stock manifold with dual plane runners still operating. EFI Hardware 6TBM to come mid year.

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: ef futura/ef fairmont

NSW, Australia

i got the r31 series 3 skyline 3.89 fits in no probs but grab the axle shims just in case you might need them. picked up the gears for $80.

custom airbox,custom intake
paccie comps,lukey 2.5 cat back,high flow cat
CMS stg2 head,CMS stg2.A. cam,CMS hybrid auto with mod shift,3.9 lsd
custom 3500rpm hi stall
ANZ mayhem 18's,custom interior,venom body kit,xr wing,jumbo 2' low springs
143rwkw and 407rwnm on CMS dyno

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:44 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

wholohan123 wrote:
Gezza, my original diff was a 3.08:1 which is in a 94 I6 EF gli.

I have gone from that to 3.73:1, and now
im on 3.91:1 ratio and i havent had any problems
fitting the gears to the housing.
I cant see why you wouldent be able to either....

I get all my diff stuff thru G&J Differentials in melbourne, they are incorperated with Street&Strip gears, who make most of there gear sets and axels.
There stuff is made strong.

where are these guys situaited in melb? do u know how much off the top of your head?

OH and totally willing to pay some one to provide me with a set of those pintara gears like what ever you pay plus $100 in melb tho :P

Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:51 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Go to www.gjdiffs.com.au.

Give them a ring,.. i get all my stuff posted to me in Wagga Wagga (is fairly cheap to!)

A set of gears will set you back about $450-$500
(yer there not cheap) :( But worth it!

And if you want fairly unbreakable Borgwarner, 31 spline billets ($950 :shock: ), and a spool to suit ($250)..... the only thing you will break or bend is the housing itself :wink: lol

XR6 conversion, CAI, 3inch intake, modified intake plenum, polished TB, 2.5inch exhaust, modified cat, pwr radiator and expansion tank, BTR, kevlar bands, JMM 3K converter, shiftkit, 3.91, 31spline spool, 31spline billet axel$, Nolathane, RDA golds, Custom interior, genuine GT's

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:55 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Ok well i got the info basically obviously being a borgy that anythin that fits in a como diff will fit in a 78 series. now my only problem is whats the difference between a 78 and a 75 like identification wise? is there a difference between splines etc?

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:55 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

[JETEB6] wrote:
Ok well i got the info basically obviously being a borgy that anythin that fits in a como diff will fit in a 78 series. now my only problem is whats the difference between a 78 and a 75 like identification wise? is there a difference between splines etc?
If you put 75 series gears and 78 series gears side by side they are visually different the 75 series crown wheel is slightly thinner and they are not made out of the same quallity of seel as the 78 series gears. The number on the pinion will also tell which series they are, the first four digit number will be ##78 on 78 series and ##75 on 75 series. 75 series are sill strong the can hold around 200 RWKW as long as they are lapped propperly and the gears them selves are not worn to the s**t. 78 series gears are more robust and are usually made of a harder steel. Mall Wood told me that he finds the 78 series, especiallly with 3.90 and shorter, lap in easier and don't wine as much as well. Basicly a 78 series is a better and stronger gear. They will set you back maybe $350 - $400 for 3.90 new or you can get a second hand set for around the $150 - $200 if you are lucky.

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:53 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

xr6eat 50 wrote:
[JETEB6] wrote:
If you put 75 series gears and 78 series gears side by side they are visually different the 75 series crown wheel is slightly thinner and they are not made out of the same quallity of seel as the 78 series gears. The number on the pinion will also tell which series they are, the first four digit number will be ##78 on 78 series and ##75 on 75 series. 75 series are sill strong the can hold around 200 RWKW as long as they are lapped propperly and the gears them selves are not worn to the s**t. 78 series gears are more robust and are usually made of a harder steel. Mall Wood told me that he finds the 78 series, especiallly with 3.90 and shorter, lap in easier and don't wine as much as well. Basicly a 78 series is a better and stronger gear. They will set you back maybe $350 - $400 for 3.90 new or you can get a second hand set for around the $150 - $200 if you are lucky.

Thanks xr6eat 50 makes sense and was pretty much the answer i got when i called transdiff in bayswater. i was qouted $500 for 3.9/4.11's if i supplied my own minispool.
lol and i always wonderd why i didnt see half as many falcons running around with 411's like every VN / VP in my area!

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

I just had 4.11;s fitted and supplied for $380 last week is that pretty good?

ED Fairmont, Ghia mock DOHC-T 11.6 @ 118 Trying to get back to the 1/4!

Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

^^ thats heaps good if the gears were included??

Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

Yep but I made it cheaper for myself i took the housing in BARE with only the centre left

so all he had to do it fit and line up the gears. Its worth saving some dollars i still thought that was a good deal. ohhh and he had to clean it out
as well it was full of metal shavings :P

got it home. put the rear plate on sealed it with goo, chuck the axles in brake assembly and bolt it in easyyy as. :wink:

ED Fairmont, Ghia mock DOHC-T 11.6 @ 118 Trying to get back to the 1/4!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next