4.11's 

Page 2 of 5 [ 64 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA Falcon Suzy Across

Power: 178 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I've turned around with spools. When I was up at philip island, a guy had an ef with a minispool in it. The car did go sideways very easily and didn't sound healthy but he just said you have to drive it right, keep load on it to eliminate backlash.

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

bushman wrote:
but during a burnout a open diff is more dangerous than a car with a spool/lokka doing a skid, my reasoning for this go check out the vn owners with open diffs doing donutz now thats scary

how the f**k can you say that, seriously?
doing a burnout in a car that will sit in the spot and bake em (open wheeler), or doing a burnout in a car that crabs out, aka LSD/Locker/spool.
its clear cut, the spool would be worse.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:31 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: el gli manwel

QLD, Australia

thats what the steering wheels for to add on opposite lock evan with the lsd in my diff it didnt crab much, and according to aussie diffs the lsd is the most prone to crabbing because of the spider gears, and the mini and full spools not haveing spider gears crabb no where as much

THE LOOSEST MUTHA FUKA YOU'VE EVER MET

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:45 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

but those of us who understand physics know that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, for example with a car is crabbing to the left with 30kgs of lateral forces and ccording to newtons laws of physics theres 30kgs pushing in the oppsite direction, before you say well y doesnt it stay straight think about all of the rotating inertias in the car spinning in the same direction,
crank shaft, tailshaft, gearbox input and output shafts. but i have learnt to drive in cars with lsd's and my cars have had lsd's and i can say that they are very predictable and after not being able to find an lsd at the wreckers i settled for a single spinner and i can say that they are unpredictable and dangerous, doubles nice and sideways pulling out of corner from stand still then pulling a single throws the car straight and nearly snaps my neck

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Mitch_ wrote:
its when your not doing skids with a spool thats the problem. your only 18, you have sfa experiance on the road. the a*** end might step out when you dont expect it. and you'll end up in a tree... hey brett!
can i shot gun the good part on your car for when you write it off in 3 months?

it was a sound barrier thank you very much... 18 + spooled falcon = sideways into something hard

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

bushman wrote:
thats what the steering wheels for to add on opposite lock evan with the lsd in my diff it didnt crab much, and according to aussie diffs the lsd is the most prone to crabbing because of the spider gears, and the mini and full spools not haveing spider gears crabb no where as much

The spool crabs easier and further than an LSD, when i had the spooled ED XR, i had to hold it a full lock to keep it straight while doin a line-lock

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

i have a locked diff in my EA (not spooled, and not lokka either lol) and i regret putting it in there. i chewed up a set of rear tyres in about 2000km (yes with a couple of burnouts thrown in) and it sounds horrible turning slowly, not to mention having to take corners reeeeeally wide and slow with a cop car in the vicinity so id dosent go Chirp Chirp Chirp... and parking is an absolute nightmare. (servo's and carwashes with concrete floors are worser still)

sure they do awesome donuts etc, i can do one thats not 1m wider than the length of my car (but cant everyone? :P) but yeah, normal driving is a nightmare.

i might be 18 with a falcon with a locked diff but i do know how to drive with it, i dont go do stupid s**t in town (60 sideways sound corners etc), i save that for paddocks and stuff. like everyone here said, the tail end can step out when you least expect it, its happened to me a couple of times, and ive spun out a few times because of it.

so yeah, i think you should take all our advice and steer away from a spooled diff.

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

67RCE wrote:
bushman wrote:

The spool crabs easier and further than an LSD, when i had the spooled ED XR, i had to hold it a full lock to keep it straight while doin a line-lock

you'll find an lsd will crab more.

seriously though, if you really think an open wheeler is more dangerous, you are missing something in the brain.
the only time i can think where it would be dangerous is if you stabbed it in the wet and hooked it and it would kick in and out, which might give an unpredictable sideways kick-out.
i've had my share of lsd cars and open wheelers, and i've done my share of stupidity.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:02 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

my ea had a cig lokka and i learnt to live with it i know wats it like to drive but i want to be strong and cheap and this is wat i want i cant afford a detriot locker i dont evan knowif their made for the btr and not going to a nine inch. but im gettin a run around car any way so its not like its gunna be a daily driver anymore

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon

WA, Australia

on the lighter side you may be replacing axles every week.... 28spline standard on a standard spool, u better have some hard compound.

Plus your a f**k wit, your going to kill someone and u will never live it down. you sound like the kinda bloke that needs to go buy a vl... haha. no offence

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:07 am 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

non taken but like i said before im getting a new daily driver so its only guna get driven about once or twice a week

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

mate your 18 and you say you can drive... you cant just cause you can 'rip a skid' doesnt mean you can drive... what happend to the EA with the CIG Locker??? Pole? Tree? you cant predict a spool, or LSD, just save some money and stump up for a 4WD Systems Lokka, im gunna be gettin one for my AU, i had a spool, wont be doing it again for ANY car that gets driven on the street

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Agreed with all the negatives for a spool. They are a pain, and they are ILLEGAL,END OF STORY.
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

the Terrorist has a spool doesnt it Brett? but then again, it isnt always driven because of work, and the spool is mainly a drag use isnt it?

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Yes yes and yes. It has a spool, but spends little if anytime on the road
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 5  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next