Fordmods Logo

6cyl power steering rebuild, seems very easy! 

Page 2 of 4 [ 60 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: i6 power steering reseal kit from ebay any good?
Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

just watched a video on how to rebuild the pump on youtube, seems very easy and im 100% confident i wont f**k this up, altho if theres even a slight chance someone could you can bet ya balls ill screw it up :|

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Post subject: Re: 6cyl power steering rebuild, seems very easy!
Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

part 1 how to pull it apart:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5RaNn-fkQo

part 2 rebuilding:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj2Zw2vV7ZU&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

because im bored and always wondered how they work and if i buy another second hand one it may just leak just like the rest of them, keeping me busy at the moment

BF XR6

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:34 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

bry40l wrote:
because im bored and always wondered how they work and if i buy another second hand one it may just leak just like the rest of them, keeping me busy at the moment

keeps you clowns off the street too :P

In regards to the pulley. If it's still attached, you can still remove the shaft without removing the pulley. As snap said, remove the clip in the inside of the shaft...it is a pain in the a*** if you don't have a circlip remover (such as I) but a bit of patience it got off. The pulley would just slide right out.

Mine hasn't leaked for a year.

EDIT: also, when you put everything back together, lubricate the parts a little and when you tighten up the rear bolts up again, don't do it too tight, you might screw up the o-ring...especially at the high pressure outlet bit.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

phongus wrote:
bry40l wrote:

keeps you clowns off the street too :P

In regards to the pulley. If it's still attached, you can still remove the shaft without removing the pulley. As snap said, remove the clip in the inside of the shaft...it is a pain in the a*** if you don't have a circlip remover (such as I) but a bit of patience it got off. The pulley would just slide right out.

Mine hasn't leaked for a year.

EDIT: also, when you put everything back together, lubricate the parts a little and when you tighten up the rear bolts up again, don't do it too tight, you might screw up the o-ring...especially at the high pressure outlet bit.

oki doke thanks for the help, doesnt keep me off the street just keeps me from sleeping and eating everything in the fridge lol

BF XR6

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:36 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: na fairlane

QLD, Australia

this sounds interesting. is there a high pressure nipple on the power steering unit? just wondering how difficult it would be to replace it ? mines leaking. if i should make my own thread then let me know, n i will, dont mean to steal threads or anything, sorry if i have

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

got my reseal kit today so ill install it and fit the pump to my car and try it, hopefully no more drippy drip :D

BF XR6

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

there seems to be 2 rubbers the same size around but are thinner, and 2 rubbers the same size around as the before mentioned but thicker, either way there are 2 left over, are they for the earlier model pump i read about or do they go somewhere else once more of the pump is put together and do i use the thicker ones? thanks

BF XR6

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:25 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

bry40l wrote:
there seems to be 2 rubbers the same size around but are thinner, and 2 rubbers the same size around as the before mentioned but thicker, either way there are 2 left over, are they for the earlier model pump i read about or do they go somewhere else once more of the pump is put together and do i use the thicker ones? thanks

Just replace the ones that were on there previously...you didn't note down which ones were there did you?

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

phongus wrote:
bry40l wrote:

Just replace the ones that were on there previously...you didn't note down which ones were there did you?

nah but i sat them just off to the side, replaced it with the thicker ones which seemed to match the ones that were previously in it and it went back togther fine so if anything it will seal it better than the smaller ones.
It was only the small rubbers that go in the holes where the bolts go to tighten the tank to the pump, its all back together now, just need to put it on the car and test it out.

I just went to check the one on the car and its leaked the whole tank full of fluid out over the past 2 months and its only been started once a week or less because its out of rego parked in the shed, must be stuffed from sitting around for a few years before on my old spare car,it was empty when i went to remove the engine out of the spare car so it was well and truely screwed :|
as for the little metal vien things, it said in the instructions one side has a more rounded edge than the other so i when i put them back in i put them to the right way from what i could see with my eyes, i couldnt really tell much of a difference between sides

BF XR6

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ive put it on the car, filled it up and it doesnt seem to be leaking just from sitting on the car full, will have to start the car tomorrow as the battery isnt in it and im off to work now, seems to be a little tighter to spin by hand but not overly tight just like brand new tight, as opposed to the old one.

BF XR6

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:26 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Is the pump you rebuilt a factory one (cast iron body) or aftermarket (alloy body) ??

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

cast iron mate

BF XR6

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

so now its on the car, isnt leaking or making any noises...... but the steering is like the car is swtiched off, so the pump isnt pumping, is this because these stupid F*cking vien things are in the wrong way because the pump went back together the same way it came apart, and yes i did read the directions for assembling it and put it back together properly, the only thing thats got me stuffed is i couldnt see a difference in these viens and the directions said one side is more rounded than the other and i couldnt see the difference on between either sides :evil: :x

BF XR6

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

now that i have googled these vanes i find pictures where you can see in other pumps that there is a huge difference in the sides of thee vanes, i think ill pull it apart and have a fiddle, cant make it any worse than it is now i guess.

BF XR6

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next