Ride: XH van

SA, Australia

cheers bro..

Post subject: Re: auto transission service
Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:14 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EL Falcon

WA, Australia

I'll be doing this tomorrow, I picked up the bits today. The car has 265k on the clock now and it's probably never been changed. They only had 12l of TQ95 so I'll see how I get on with that much. I picked up diff oil too so I can do that too.

As for the prices:
Transmission filter kit is $18 from Repco
Castrol TQ95 is $10/l in Supercheap

I'd imagine that if you were getting it done in a workshop, you'd be charged at least $15/l and $40 for the filter kit & an hour of labour.

Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

It takes abit more than an hour to do a flush properly.....believe me, i've done a few.
It is cheaper to buy a 20lt drum, than buying the ATF in 4lt bottles.
The last 20lt drum I bought was $165.....about 12 months or so ago.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:15 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Using a pneumatic brake bleeder the old man sucks around 8 to 10 litres of oil out of these without wasting any on doing flushes... Only bit you can't suck out is the bottom half of the torque converter... Lot better than just changing the 4 litres in the box itself... if you add 4 litres of new red stuff to is it like 6 or 8 litres of old black stuff... The new stuff goes black pretty quick...

I'm sure from Ford the filter and gasket are $40... No idea on the price of the oil though...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, NCII V8

SA, Australia

hey guys

every car i have had i have done the tranny service on them but so far i have found that if the car has not had it done in a long time DONT TOUCH IT.

i know its a commy but i had a vs calais with 232k on it and i gave the tranny a service and it died about 2 weeks later.

my dads el wagon had the tranny serviced for the first time at 183k and it died 3 weeks later

my step mum has a ef with 355k and had it since near new and never had the tranny done and its fine.

Up to you what you do but just in my foundings if a tranny has been a long time inbeetween servicing i wont touch them anymore

Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

How do you flush it? Just poor fresh fluid through it? And it cost me 100 bucks to ge mine serviced and the bloke put multi grade fluid in and pretty much stopped my trans from workin I had to put the right fluid bak in it and replace the filter

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:44 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

wtbdlltd wrote:
hey guys

every car i have had i have done the tranny service on them but so far i have found that if the car has not had it done in a long time DONT TOUCH IT.

i know its a commy but i had a vs calais with 232k on it and i gave the tranny a service and it died about 2 weeks later.

my dads el wagon had the tranny serviced for the first time at 183k and it died 3 weeks later

my step mum has a ef with 355k and had it since near new and never had the tranny done and its fine.

Up to you what you do but just in my foundings if a tranny has been a long time inbeetween servicing i wont touch them anymore

Little bro's broke the front band we think...

We got a second hand one and done the bands on it... sucked the oil out of the system as I mentioned above... new filter and gasket... new selector shaft seal... Runs like a brand new one...

It wasn't something weird like you've filled them with the wrong oil or something strange? Not taking stabs... But it seems coincidental you've done two and kill both a few weeks after?

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EF GLi

WA, Australia

Is there a tech doco on this? Would love to do my trans...

EF2 Fairmont Ghia. AU2 engine running EF gear. Intake, exhaust, injection etc; 8" rear stockies with 265/50R15 rubber. Shiftkitted auto, J3, custom grille and dash cluster and lots of other useless crap...

Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:31 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL Fairmont

QLD, Australia

I service the transmission on my EL fairmont about 8months ago. It's a piece of piss takes about an 1 hour. 4l of Penrite atf_95le http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/automatic-transmission-oils/atf_95_le. And a filter/gasket kit. All up it was about $80 to do myself.

Made the auto shift like new again.....

BTW make sure you have a fluid hand pump or something to top up the fluid into the tranny filler plug(it's up on the side of the tranny behind the cat). EL falcon's onwards don't have dipsticks...

Cheers...

Current ride 2007
ML GLX Dualcab Triton 4x4

Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The e series transmissions only like the correct fluid put anytbing else in ive found that they heat up slip and eventually blow up if you thrash em like my mate did, mine had multi grade fluid put in it at a mechanics and it went crap and got wirse until I changed it to the correct fluid

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

wtbdlltd wrote:
hey guys

I always get mine done once a year, and granted it might be stuffed now but that's because a hose came of the cooler 6 months ago. Transmissions should be serviced regularly, particularly if towing.
Now If a tranny has been neglected for 100s of thousands of k's then it probably needs more than just a standard service.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

to flush it the way i do is change the filter. top it up. then remove a trans cooler line and put a catch container under it. start it up and let the trans oil pump do the work. it'll push the oil stuff out. but then it'll run dry so turn it off. top it up again etc until the fluid is flowing a nice red. once it is top it up one last time. run it through the gears while parked. check it again. then your done

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 92 EB s

NSW, Australia

Won't hurt it to "run it dry' tho so get as much out as you can.
Make sure you drive it and then recheck. Not just slap it through gears on the spot.
I hate changing trans fluid on cars that havnt been done in ages. Stinks.

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:29 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

87SIlude wrote:
Make sure you drive it and then recheck. Not just slap it through gears on the spot.

We had it on a hoist so you stick it in drag and rev it up until you get 4th gear and then into reverse and its super easy...

87SIlude wrote:
I hate changing trans fluid on cars that havnt been done in ages. Stinks.

haha Amen to that... Smells burnt... I work for Country Energy... Try changing oil in high voltage circuit breakers after they have had lots of big faults through them... That s**t stinks...

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ok mite flush mine next week

BF XR6

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next