Post subject: Re: Auto vs Manual
Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: ef futura/ef fairmont

NSW, Australia

FORDom wrote:
gasdea wrote:
i would say auto, and i say this because in my opinion, a worked auto is a s**t better, stronger and more fun than a dirty old t5!

more fun?? pffft

Mate you have never been in my car then! My auto is fun as to drive much more over a T5.

And i'd say a fresh auto will out live a fresh T5 any day!!!

custom airbox,custom intake
paccie comps,lukey 2.5 cat back,high flow cat
CMS stg2 head,CMS stg2.A. cam,CMS hybrid auto with mod shift,3.9 lsd
custom 3500rpm hi stall
ANZ mayhem 18's,custom interior,venom body kit,xr wing,jumbo 2' low springs
143rwkw and 407rwnm on CMS dyno

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: f6 rspec

NSW, Australia

hard to believe..but thats just me..i prefer manual cause the 4 speeds in falcons suck! ive been driving my tow vehicle (jeep cherokee 4.0 i6 4 speed auto) and the kickdown on that is about 5 times faster then the falcons..now that would be fun to drive as it will outshift me anyday in the manual..if only the same box was in the falcons..

but yeh i gotta agree its how they're treated and the only reason why a auto will outlast the manual is because of the driver..

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

shifting up through gears a manual wont have a chance in shifting quicker than auto with a shiftkit. Kick down isn't quick enough though.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

GeZza200 wrote:
FORDom wrote:
gasdea wrote:
i would say auto, and i say this because in my opinion, a worked auto is a s**t better, stronger and more fun than a dirty old t5!

more fun?? pffft

Lol yeah, i think auto's are pretty boring too, nothing worse when you boot it when the auto isn't ready and you have a 1-2sec kick down delay.

Thats why you select the gears so they are there when you want them!

Auto=stronger, faster, longer life, better for towing
Manual= fun, roll starts, better fuel economy.

But i prefer a built auto.

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:36 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 16 images

Power: 165 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I would vote for the T5 has last 2 years of every day abuse, I killed 2 btr auto's in a matter of 5000kms, one stock, one was a $2700 worked rebuild with big oil cooler fitted.

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

GeZza200 wrote:
shifting up through gears a manual wont have a chance in shifting quicker than auto with a shiftkit. Kick down isn't quick enough though.

GeZza200 wrote:
FORDom wrote:
gasdea wrote:

more fun?? pffft

Lol yeah, i think auto's are pretty boring too, nothing worse when you boot it when the auto isn't ready and you have a 1-2sec kick down delay.
Troy wrote:
i agree with smithykicks85.
but the auto will take more power then the manual. i like my auto but the 2 sec delay on kickdown does suck

If you want faster kickdown, try it with the power button on.

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

dosn't matter what mode its in, kick down isn't fast enough. i doubt the auto's would last all that long if your constantly using the gears to select.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Futura

TAS, Australia

GeZza200 wrote:
i doubt the auto's would last all that long if your constantly using the gears to select.

Why's that?

As long as you're not continuously shifting gears of select a low gear at a high speed (e.g. sticking it 2nd at 90k..).

I often select a lower gear just it time for when I want it to get around the delay, it doesn't make any difference to the box as it's the same gear it would have shifted to it left in drive anyway.

I remember having a 3 speed auto in my DA LTD without an oil cooler, I used to use that on and off and sometimes nearly continuously at full throttle for hours without any trouble.

I also used to spin the wheels a fair bit, it never delayed engaging any gear or had rough changes either.

Having said that I did look after the car and drive it hard too, it all depends on how well it's maintained and there's also a line between driving it hard and driving the life out of it.

DCII LTD V8 - leather - low k's
1978 XC '1/2' 500 project 302C
BA Futura wagon
P38 Range Rover HSE

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

GeZza200 wrote:

I dunno man, I reckon my busted a*** t5 with the el cheapo short shift could bring you a suprise with its shift speed.

Still busting for a peek at your car, really wanna see how that cam goes. Come to Bacchus!

enough isn't enough

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Iv been in a T5 with short shift, they do shift quick but i reckon the auto with the shiftkit turned up very quick. Bacchus Marsh is a fair drive from where i am, maybe meet half way one day.

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

GeZza200 wrote:
.. i reckon the auto with the shiftkit turned up very quick

I second that, an auto with an adjustable electronic shiftkit turned up to between 3/4 and full = instant neck snapping gear change/thump :lol:

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:13 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

other than the strength differences! keeping in mind that both auto and manual can be strengthend

i look at it this way..
most drag cars are auto of some sort, can be faster in gear changing and acceleration.

and curcuit cars are.... manual! for choosing the right gear braking into and accelerating out of a corner.
this is where the auto kick down would suck..

so it depends what you want? do you want a car that just drags off the line?
or a car that has a sporty nimble acceleration in and out of corners aswell as being competative in acceleration??

i know what i would choose... :)

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:23 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BA MKII DEVIL R XR8

Power: 257 rwkw

NSW, Australia

na unless it's 4 the drags or sitting in peak hour traffic thats the only reason i would choose an auto they just don't create that driving excitment manual does :twisted:

If in doubt, rev it out

542rwhp of forced V8 goodness

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

now i know autos will shift gears quicker than a manual but it all really depends on the drivers pro-ness lol.
My EB has done 290,***kms and it is on the original auto. two weeks after i bought the car it did start to flare first gear but i did an old school mechanic mates trick. change filter and do a full flush but ad DexronIII Holden fluid not 95LE Ford Fluid. works every time. i did that at 252,***kms and i have had no troubles since. except the damn slow kick down. or another thing i've noticed if my floor mate is under the accelerator pedal and i put the foot right down it doesn't downshift to first below like 50km/h of course.

i did the same oil trick on my XF with a 3 speed with 320,***kms on it. it'd drop into neutral when taking of at the lights and then like a second later drop back into gear and make a horrible clunk.
after i did the fluid trick on the way home it did it again once and then never again. i sold the car with 350,***kms and still shifting fine

i'm in the progress of pulling a T5 conversion out of a wrecked EB so that be put in my EB. i want a manual Falcon and then once i put my AU motor in it'll be good fun

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

I've had standard auto, shift kitted auto (good fun - For those not aware I had it switched under my left foot so I could turn it on or off whenever required...), T5 and now T5 with short throw shifter.

Which is most fun?
    For completely scaring you in wet weather
    Auto with shift kit engaged and LSD. Gawd help you.

For driving aggressively in any weather
    T5 with short shifter and Exeedy Heavy Duty clutch, LSD.

For getting from zero to twenty
    T5 with short shifter and good clutch work

For getting from 30km/h to end of quarter mile
    Auto with shift kit engaged and LSD.

Which is going to last longest?
    Grandma driving
    Auto

Race car driving
    Manual (do you downshift with an auto to get engine braking... I do....)

Drags
    Auto (ain't no way your T5 is going to cope with your 400kw car week after week... Which brings me to suggest the TKO... Am I getting out of the scope of this thread here?.....)

As for slow kick downs -0-0- Put the selector in the gear you want WELL before you actually need it... Just be careful in the wet, going down hills etc. And be prepared to use twice as much petrol as you're sitting around 4,000 rpm a hell of a lot.

As for TURBO AUTO's.,.... Vomit.

TURBO REQUIRES MANUAL.

My three cents.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next