avoiding the armco 

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

deluxe lol

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 Au wagon

NSW, Australia

low_ryda wrote:
ea's are ridiculously tail happy. soft stockers are probably the best handling of the ea's :P i've got koni shocks n springs with full nolathane kit, firestone 235/17 rubber and in the wet the other day overtakin in a straight line at 90kays in 4th gear the rear started creepin, with no lsd.

constantly in 2nd and occasionally in third creeps just under hard acceleration in straight lines to the point where you have to back off.

fanning the clutch in 3rd at 80 can see you tank slapping two lanes everytime in the wet.

no launches or quick take offs in the wet.

thats funny,i've never had any problems with my ea and some times i've had to hook into it when respondingand never ever came close to loosing it wet or dry.

but it can depend on driver experience and skill level.

Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 Au wagon

NSW, Australia

bugger :oops:

Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

This is a really interesting thread. I have access to both an EF and an EL, both wagons, however, one is lowered using Whiteline stuff and King springs (the EL) and the other is stock height.

Recently, I put a new set of tyres on the EF. A set of Yokahama "A" drives. Prior to that, it had bridgestone RE8's. Now, the handling of the EF has altered quite a bit. With the Bridgestones on, it handled relatively neutral, but, with the Yokahamas, it has become "taily" as Sharpyelghia has so elegantly put it, particularly at higher speeds (100kph+) . In fact, I am a bit worried about it, as the person driving the car has little experience with oversteer/understeer, and may not be able to handle it if it gets out of hand.

I have a favourite corner that I punt the EL thro' and it goes thru easily, but the EF definitly tends to want to stick its tail out.

The EL btw has Yokahama "C" drives on it.

I believe that the tyres have quite a bit to do with the taily feel of the car.

Tyre pressure 34 psi f$r both cars. I may try upping the pressure a bit in the rear of the EF and see what happens.

Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

34 pounds is pretty low pressure IMO.

I run all my tyres as close to 40 as I can get it on the gauge..... better economy for me and better handling due to less side wall flex.

On a lighter note, I am not sure that anyone will be too surprised to hear that tyres have a significant effect on handling!! :D

Also, if you are getting the car sideways at 100kph on public roads, you are driving way, way too fast! I suggest slowing down.......

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Only thing you can do about tyres is to learn from experience whats good and whats not. Sometimes you pick a good'un, others a dud. :(

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:37 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 50 images

Ride: MYSTERY EL's & Maverick LWB

Power: 198 rwkw

NSW, Australia

basicly pick good tyres , keep presure's up . and a set of good shocks n sway bars wont go astray

Chance Favors The Prepared Mind !
For Sale : EL Fairmont 4L 5spd offers, AU Fairlane Ghia 4L vct Stock no mods $3.5k ono

Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

No, philaddis, I wasn't getting it sideways, it felt like it wanted to go sideways. This I did deliberatly on an empty backroad (that is 100kms from the city and 15 kms out from the town) that I do know intimately, having driven it anything up to 4 times a day for the past 10 years. No trees, only low shrubs and a wire fence. and visibility for a minimum of 2kms in each direction. Plus the road is very lightly trafficed. I also did it around a left-hand bend, which would allow me more room for correction if required. Plus the fact I was ready for any change in the attitude of the vehicle, thus it wouldn't catch me by surprise.

:lol: I might be silly but I'm not stupid. :lol:

Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

creeture3 wrote:
No, philaddis, I wasn't getting it sideways, it felt like it wanted to go sideways. This I did deliberatly on an empty backroad (that is 100kms from the city and 15 kms out from the town) that I do know intimately, having driven it anything up to 4 times a day for the past 10 years. No trees, only low shrubs and a wire fence. and visibility for a minimum of 2kms in each direction. Plus the road is very lightly trafficed. I also did it around a left-hand bend, which would allow me more room for correction if required. Plus the fact I was ready for any change in the attitude of the vehicle, thus it wouldn't catch me by surprise.

:lol: I might be silly but I'm not stupid. :lol:

My brother from another mother.......really, I was only being facetious......

But in all seriousness.....cars do roll over (even when there are only small shrubs around.... I know.... unbelievable!!)

Been to too many fatals not to care...... even about someone I've never met.....

:wink:

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

O k, philaddis sorry 'bout going off the deep end. Had a bad day and maybe had to take it out on somebody/something.

You are quite correct.

Truce.

Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Had one serious tank slap in the wet on an off camber corner when I was trying to do a big drift --- The rear just let go way more than expected and left a zig zag tyre pattern through the oil and water slick for about 50m up the motorway on ramp... Had no centre muffler on at the time and the families out for their sunday drives were all gobsmacked. Tail came within about 2 inches of the amco.

Anyways - That was with cheap, undirectional, rubber on rear. I've got good tyres on back now and have been playing with suspension quite a bit.

My car is a "Futuralane" Wagon 1995 EF.

It has XR6 low springs up front and 8 leaf 1 tonne rated springs in back, with new Monroes all around.

Have yet to lower the a*** end to suit the front since putting the stiff rear springs in - But they seem a really good match for the XR6 low's for stiffness. If anything I think the XR6 lows could actually be slightly soft for high speed braking and cornering, but admit to needing better rubber up front and also NEED TO LOWER THE REAR.

Run close to 40PSI on rears and 38 on fronts. 215/60/15's...

Also experimented with this set up by driving on a gravel road flat out. It was a stage of the Wairapa rally, but no, I was not timed... Reckon I got pretty close to the top speeds down a couple of the straights.... Luckily the slotted and dimpled front rotors work well!

Cornering on cambered but very loose gravel is a great experience in a wagon with a stiff a***. Leave it in 1st gear (good for about 85km/h - it is auto) and get it sideways.

Serious tank slaps once - couldn't pull it back in from about 60 degrees sideways. Didn't go around or loose it - just couldn't stop oversteering one way and then back the other. In the end just had to give up and back off as the bank was close on one side and the river getting pretty close on the other.

Real good fun anyway, and surprisingly fast. You just gotta get it out sideways well before the real nimble rally car would.

Going to have a go at fitting a rear sway bar once it gets lowered in back. Everything I've done is a noticable improvement - the pick of the bunch so far is definitely the 1 tonne leafs in rear.

And all this has so far cost less than $200NZ.

The thread of my learning efforts...
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/novice-g ... 05-40.html

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2