Fordmods Logo

axel tramp help 

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA 3v ute

VIC, Australia

Had some good news today, got a call from my suspension place saying that the redesigned king spring with rebound leaf works well. It was getting tested on a blown boss during the week. I have ordered mine so it should be here in 10 days with my Tein kit :) Will let you know how it goes if you haven't sorted it out by then.

Only thing is the redesigned leaf is through their Tein supplier so not sure if it can be sold separately and what pricing would be, but just a guess would be a bit more than a standard leaf. If you want some more info let me know and i'll find out for ya, but keep in mind this is only for Lows, not sure about Super Lows and stock height.

Mark

www.bseries.com.au/punktured

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:44 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: bf xr8 ute & 67 fastback mustang

Power: 294 rwkw

SA, Australia

Thanks heaps guys .I like the look of the mal wood i will give them a call and i will let you know how i go .cheers for all the imput :D

DRIVE HER STRAIGHT SIDEWAYS

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Best of luck with it. Might be an idea to go into a good suspension place and ask them how much to fit a rebound leaf on it, i'd dare say it'll end up cheaper than the Mal Wood tramp bar

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

I wonder if rebound leaves just reduce windup in one half of the spring and increase it in the other. I once fitted some to a vehicle at another's behest, but was not pleased and they were removed. They need to have just the right amount of camber otherwise they cause problems. They are also extra weight, which can actually factor towards more axle tramp.

They also have the effect of softening the spring rate somewhat, and lowering the car somewhat.

They are very cheap and easy for an aftermarket spring manufacturer to make, so beware of their profit motive.

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

These are not made by the spring manufacturer, they have been made to work with the Tein super street suspension which have been redesigned and tested in house due the the bad axel tramp which have plagued the King Spring reversed eye design.

As far as i know with the design they are a full sized leaf running across the top so if anything it'll stiffen it up a lil and i'd dare say offer more payload in the back because it wouldn't sag as much. I'll know more about it once my set comes in and will try get some pics to post up

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

punktured wrote:
These are not made by the spring manufacturer, they have been made to work with the Tein super street suspension which have been redesigned and tested in house due the the bad axel tramp which have plagued the King Spring reversed eye design.

As far as i know with the design they are a full sized leaf running across the top so if anything it'll stiffen it up a lil and i'd dare say offer more payload in the back because it wouldn't sag as much. I'll know more about it once my set comes in and will try get some pics to post up

Unless the rebound leaf wraps around the eyes, it has no ability to hold up the vehicle. And if it does wrap around the eyes and provide lift, it is no longer a rebound leaf because it functions similarly to a normal leaf, and should instead be placed in the pack as per normal.

Rebound leaves do not typically wrap around the eyes, and have camber reverse to the others which keeps them in contact with the main leaf under suspension compression. This camber works against what the other leaves are doing.

Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I don't think it wraps around the leaf. I see what your saying so now I'll just have to wait tip they come in and see what they're like

Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:29 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

I can't seem to see the pictures that Steady ED posted up (I just get the box with the red 'X' in it). Would really appreciate it if someone could email me them at illusion(at)tpg(dot)com(dot)au

I'm also suffering Axle tramp in a BA XR8 ute.... mainly under heavy braking on rough surfaces.

Part numbers for the RTV Diff brackets are Left: BA 5530A and Right: BA 5530B. Was quoted $82.50 each Retail Incl GST from a Ford dealer. Add in cost of four 1/2" Heim joints and some scraps of steel and you could put something together relatively inexpensively.

I've also been discussing this with Heasmans in Sydney and they have also suggested (and successfully added to a 400rwkw XR8 ute) a set of tramp rods in the form of revalved mono-tube dampers (like steering dampers valved up tight).

To ths end, a bit further research reveals that AFCO make a "diff-shock" for speedway use, for this exact purpose (i.e. controlling axle tramp). The AFCOs are $130 each, come in two lengths and already have heim-type joints on the ends. Cheaper than revalving a Bilstien steering damper and fitting it with heim joints, but AFCO are pretty crappy stuff compared to a Bilstien.

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

QLD, Australia

I had really bad axle tramp in my old XD, firstly with a 351C and then it got really really bad with a 429 in it. I tried tramp rods/slapper bars, different shocks, coil-overs on the shocks, stabilizer bars, etc. I finally got a set of ute rear leaf springs reset 3 inches lower and asked for them to be VERY stiff. Instantly the axle hop was gone, and the car hooked a lot harder, even with a 4 speed. The ride was firm, but not harsh. i didn't mind it, some thought it was too hard though.
Maybe that's what the BA/BF utes need, and it would increase the load carrying ability at the same time.

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I was only thinking about using steering dampers, i've seen this before, when i read the post two posts previous. Any steering damper(s) might do the job. Mounting a steering damper(s) at home would be easier than rigid rods, as geometry is basically irrelevant and the forces would be less.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2