Fordmods Logo

Billet axles for E-series diff. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Billet axles for E-series diff.
Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:35 am 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Anyone with experience in getting these made? Looking to upgrade from the standard arrangement.

Have heard that the quality of some of these made in Australia is not as good as those available from the US.

Any thoughts, comments, advice, tips appreciated.

Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA 3V Tunna

VIC, Australia

what sort of power are you looking at putting through the diff? coz from what ive heard the E series axles are real tough.. correct me if im wrong but i dont think ive heard of anyone on this forum needing stronger axles

Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:57 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Not sure of the actual amount of power, but sufficient to break two in the last couple of years. Have tried replacing them periodically to prevent this but they will still break even after a short amount of time in the car....

Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA 3V Tunna

VIC, Australia

wow thats unreal.. i've never heard of them breaking so much.. what sort of car and wat mods have you done??

Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 2:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Where did the axles break?

I find it unusual to break the 28 spline axles as well (basically 28 spline 9" size), you either have enormous power (everything else would be failing too) or you have other problems like a bent diff housing or someone is welding the retainer onto the axle etc.

Give us details of your car, engine, transmission and differential, plus what you do with your car i.e. off road, drift, drag racing or it is a daily driver etc.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:44 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

What car?
Spool?

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:14 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Car is a V8 Falcon, quite modified, obviously. Currently running a standard B/W 28 spline LSD rear end.

Failures are happening at the splines end where they exit the centre. Failures are definitely being caused by HP and rough treatment.

Have established today that the standard LSD centre can be machined to take 31 spline axles. thinking about heading down that path for teh moment.

Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: F350

QLD, Australia

slacker wrote:
Car is a V8 Falcon, quite modified, obviously. Currently running a standard B/W 28 spline LSD rear end.

Failures are happening at the splines end where they exit the centre. Failures are definitely being caused by HP and rough treatment.

Have established today that the standard LSD centre can be machined to take 31 spline axles. thinking about heading down that path for teh moment.

I think you may have other problems, like a bent housing mate, which is not uncommon. E series axles are stronger than the old 9" axles, and will fit in the 9". When you get a 9" made for an E series car, you can use your existing axles. My XA runs 12's on 28 spline axles no worries at all.

Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

347stroker wrote:
I think you may have other problems, like a bent housing mate, which is not uncommon. E series axles are stronger than the old 9" axles, and will fit in the 9". When you get a 9" made for an E series car, you can use your existing axles. My XA runs 12's on 28 spline axles no worries at all.

Yeah I would agree with this, I would get the housing checked out first, you haven't told us what you have done to this V8?(it must be s**t of work) We have a few very abusive members with high power on here :twisted: that haven't complained of axle failure.

Graeme's EB has 440RWKW(with enormous torque from low rpm) and he hasn't done an axle yet, but then again Graeme managed to nurse the T5 without it failing with about 267rwkw, and I T5 would fail before anything else in a 28 spline BW rear end.

If your housing it bent, it will still wreck a 31 spline axle, just it might take a bit longer, plus if it is made of better material the centre's splines will be destroyed too.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]