Fordmods Logo

BORG WARNER T5 ThrowOut Bearing Shaft munted - HELP & IDEAS! 

Page 3 of 3 [ 34 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:12 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

I take it your documentation details how to disassemble/assemble the transmission, along with preload figures, etc.
Surprisingly, the humble Gregory's has decent writeups.
You'll need a DTI (dial test indicator) to measure the input shaft/mainshaft preload, and you need to install the input shaft without shims to get this figure, then add the shims to suit, and then remeasure.
Normally if you reused the front bearing, you'd probably find the existing preload to be within limits. In your case, good idea not to mix new/old bearings and cups.

EDIT: The input shaft retainer (that the TO bearing slides on) needs to fitted in correct orientation - there are two oil drain holes at 180 degrees to each other, the larger is at the bottom, so oil from the bearing drains into the gearcase.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

TWASON buddy... I did read that section a few times before putting it together as I wasn't convinced I had the bits around the right way, etc etc etc. I am 95% sure it's under control. There's always that nagging doubt tho. Is there a way to check it before putting it behind the engine? Can simply turning the input shaft and seeing if it selects gears nicely tell me anything?

Thanks for the EDIT Snappage dude. I was wondering about that as, simply put, I did NOT put a mark on the thing to define orientation before pulling it out. That's what happens when you're an overly keen novice with no cash!

Hah. Poor old me..!

Yeahp, have been looking at various documents - The first being the T5 manual from the Tremec site. Will have to borrow an accurate tool or two, or take the whole lot to Mikes garage when stuck...!

Anyways - Still awaiting all the loverly bits ordered from Ausland and Stateside to show up.

I honestly could do with a tame Snap or two tied up out back.......

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

The main point is the 'C' springs face in opposite directions one clockwise and the other counter clockwise and the hook ends fit into the same synchro key.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Thanks for all your help guys.... Image

Am still awaiting for the parts to arrive and not without disappointment that my credit card wasn't billed anything today. Although sometimes this is purely a banking hold up - so maybe THEGEARBOX.ORG has taken my money already. Hope so...!

Anyways, thanks for your help again Snap and Twasonbrother. Will be back to ask more or show you the success photos!

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3