Fordmods Logo

Camber angles??? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Camber angles???
Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:19 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: EB2 Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Does anyone know what sort of l/h and r/h camber angles to set on a lowered EB2.....I'm assuming the left will have more than the right to compensate for the low side of the road???

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:29 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

cambers would normally be set around the 1/2 deg neg, plus or minus 1/2 deg.

Casters should be set slightly higher on the left side as this will compensate for the camber in the road. So you might have 4.5 on the left, and 4 on the right.

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:16 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

O.k cos i just got new tyres and the olds wer wearing the insides (too much neg) and i have to wait to get a proper alignment...Have got the front up on stands and the left camber shims are fully stacked with no room for more wer as the right is only half!!! I may have to fit the eccentric lower control arm adjuster to the left side only...I have a couple spare....then i can half the top shims ???

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:05 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

i've never heard of an eccentric lower control arm bush, but you should easily be able to adjust by shims to get the correct camber / caster angles. I assume you have a camber / caster kit?

If you are unable to get satisfactory angles (with a kit) then i would say that something is bent.

Also, when you say the left side is stacked with shims, is it both sides of the upper arm that is shimmed, or just one side?

And if you are adjusting the cambers yourself, id suggest wasting no time in getting an alignment done as you will throw toe out big time.

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:20 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Yeah i have the shim stack for the top control arms and they have the long flat shims so the stack are even.....The thread on the lock nuts is flush with the end of the nut so NO more room for more shims.....It probaly only needs 1-2 more shims.....Wonder if i could replace the lock studs with longer bolts just to allow the extra shims.....I don't want to chop the new tyres out??? :( And i just tried to fit the eccentric adjuster and they're a nightmare to fit and adjust as they have plates that need to be welded to the sub frame so the cam plates can push the arm around etc etc ,Arrrrgh...Bloody lowered suspension!!!

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:59 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

My King Springs are only Normal lowered types not the Super lows so what do people that have the Supers do cos they would surely be alot lower than mine therefore much more neg camber to remove??? After a bit of thread searching it appears there are a few different manufacturers of these shim kits ie Nolathane.....Will have to find some with longer threads to fit more shims!!!!

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:43 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

something in your car is bent, or lower bushes are fukced.

My car has superlows, and then a lowered spring seat on the strut to lower it even more - so its super super low. My camber angles are .25 deg neg, and casters are 4.5 on the right, and 5 on the left.

What brand of camber caster kit do you have?

Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:22 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

I can't even remember where i got them! Will have to put it on a hoist and do a few measurements i think....i just don't wont to wear out my new tyres? Geez how did you lower the spring support on the strut???

Last edited by BlkEB2 on Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:24 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

its a strut i got from pedders. Its made like that so that you can lower a car while keeping original spring or if you want to dump you car!

Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Check to see if the stub-axle isn't bent. An easy way to see if its bent is when the tyre is still fitted, see if the inside edge of the tyre is under the centre of the top balljoint.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:16 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

or just get some wheel alignment figures and post up the figures... mainly sai

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]