http://www.racebrakes.com.au/

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Post subject: Re: Cebco brake upgrade
Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:04 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 18 images

VIC, Australia

Yeah sorry guys they must have changed the website. I havent been on it for some time so only had the old link.

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Bit of an update based on my ringing around today:

UPC - Hub Style, Mustang rotor, C5 caliper, $1000-$1500, close to AU offset

RBS - Hub-in-disc, Slotted EL GT Rotor, AU2 PBR caliper, >$2000, std offset

RBM - Hub-in-disc, Slotted EL GT rotor, C4 caliper, $2500, std offset

Hoppers Stoppers - Hub-in-disc, Slotted EL GT Rotor, AU type PBR caliper, $2500, std offset

All prices were changeover uprights and included pads, hoses, etc.

On the kits themselves...

The RBM / Cebco guys reckon the C5 caliper is one of the worst sliding calipers available and would not recommend using them. He also said he wouldnt budge on $2500. Earlier in the thread you guys mentioned a cheaper hub based kit but he didn't mention a hub kit being available? Looks like $1900 might have been a one-off?

Second, RBS said they use a AU2 caliper yet i've seen photos of their kit with a C5 -- or are they one and the same thing? This kit seems like the cheapest kit to keep standard offset at the moment.

Everyone I spoke to mentioned that the UPC style kit to push the offset out was cheap but put too much stress on wheel bearings and other components and used cheaper copy parts with questionable quality. I guess they have to justify price somehow.

Thoughts?

Jason

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:14 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Hi Jason

Yeah i was the one who fitted the Cebco kit. I did pay all up $1900 dollars. In saying that I am happy with the improvement in braking I got from my RBM kit. One thing I found though is that with any of these kits they are abortions on a production theme. From that I mean they were designed to work a certain way originally then someone took them modified to fit the e-series falcons. Do they work like the were originally intended? Not Quite! Are they better than the standard? In my opinion yes.

The biggest thing I found different is that i went from static mounted hub/disc to a full floating unit and also to a full floating caliper. tis means that there is a little extra pedal travel before the brakes bite. But on the other side I dont get any fade even on track day and chnaging pads can be done quite quickly along with rotor changes if I do track days.

The money justifies what i wanted to achieve. I now have a daily driver/track car for all under $12k including purchase of car. My mates all think may car is cool. To me to replace it with something that performs the way my car does and that is new would cost close to $60k. plus it is my hobby and I enjoy f@rt around with it on weekends.

RBM are correct in saying that the C4/C5 calipers arent the best on the market. But based on the time they were manafactured to what I had originally on the car it is a vast improvement.

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the reply. I agree with most of your points.

To be honest, if I could get either setup (C4 + floating w/ std offset or ELGT rotor) for $1900 i'd buy it tomorrow. A mustang type rotor sounds like it would be cheaper to replace, so that appeals to me more. I'm only after a mild upgrade, not interested in 4 pot or larger setups. However he was trying to sting me $2500 and said he couldn't budge on the price.

RBM seemed to think the C4 caliper was much better than the C5 one ?? They cant be too bad if they're on the VE.

Do you have the name of the bloke at RBM you spoke to (and when)? I wanted to get a kit delivered this week if possible. Failing that ill put another set of pads in it for a while.

I am waiting for RBS to come back with a final price but he said it would be "just over 2k".

Jason

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:45 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

The guy I spoke with was the old bloke named Harold. He quoted me a higher price too over the phone but when I stood in front of him I was able to talk him down. Als he is very quick to try to up sell you to updated componentry. Like I went for the std rotors but he wanted to sell me the upmarket DBA ones. he also wanted me to put in better pads. More cost!!

So I went with standard brake rotors and pads and I talked him down on the cost of the uprights. I didnt buy the kit but I bought the parts required.

The only diffenrce between the C4 and C5 calipers are the C4 is narrower but longer and the C5 is broader but slightly shorter pad. They both came off the corvette.

I have the hub and mustang rotor setup but if you could get the ELGT rotor setup for the cebco kit that would really enhance the braking as that is what was used on the ELGT originally. They just used the C4 caliper rebadged. If you check any of the brake pads companies the pad for the 94 corvette is the same for the early HSV's and ELGT.

If you like, just mention to the guy that I sent you. I have also been dealing with him as i am rebuilding Glenn Setons 97 falcon and am looking into putting 4spot AP racing calipers on it. Dont know if that will assist you but he may also give you a discount knowing he gave me one. I was also looking at buying a DeTomaso Pantera off him

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:53 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Sorry just checked the dudes name at RBM is Howard! I have to go out there as he has a set of 4 spot brembos that I was looking to put on my EL.

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

I think you will find the ELGT calipers are the same as a Mustang Cobra also, which were made by PBR here.

1993 ED XR6 5speed Polynesian Green. Project car.

1998 EL XR8 Auto Hot Chilli Red. New daily and project

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:41 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Hi All

Here is a list of the cars that use the C4 caliper that is a part of the Cebco upgrade.

Chevrolet
Corvette C4 1988 - 1996
Ford
Falcon 1997 - Jun-97 EL GT
Falcon Apr-00 - Sep-02 AUII, AUIII XR6, XR8 (Tickford)
Mustang Cobra 94-04
Holden
HSV 1989 - 1997 VN, VP, VR, VS PBR Caliper
Pontiac
Fiero Oct-92 - Apr-93 2.8, 3.8, 4.1, 4.4
Firebird 1989 - 1991 Firebird
GrandAm 1989 - 1998 Grand Am
TransAm 1982 - 1992 Turbo
TransAm May-88 - Oct-92 2.8, 3.8, 4.1, 4.7, 4.9, 5.0, 5.7

When buying the caliper it is best to get the PBR C4 as opposed to anything from overseas as there are so many variants available and the caliper bracket also varies. If buying the corvette style or mustang calipers make sure you have a set of C4 brackets from Australia to suit the caliper. You cant buy the brackets from PBR they will not sell them separately

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

Has anyone here had any bad experiences with the Mr Spares kit? Only because I read a build thread on here where it was said to not fit properly and be s**t (they then went with RBS kit I believe?) On the other hand I have seen a few other cars that swear by them for the price?

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont Sedan

Power: 180 rwkw

VIC, Australia

skidder wrote:
Has anyone here had any bad experiences with the Mr Spares kit? Only because I read a build thread on here where it was said to not fit properly and be s**t (they then went with RBS kit I believe?) On the other hand I have seen a few other cars that swear by them for the price?
The Thread your talking about is from XH5LWEPN - yeah he had some issuse due to wrong parts being supplied but that issue was corrected.

Thats when I bought my set, I have had the UPC - MR-Spares kit fitted since October 2008 - have not had one issue with them what so ever on my daily driver - not some Trailer Princess or Parked in the Garage for Sunny Days

There is another guy who goes by the Forum Name Crane on AFF has had them fitted for 8 months and he swears by them.

Another Member also has just had the Kit Fitted and he loves it, there are 100's of cars with the MR-Spares-UPC Kit fitted - another car is vermiltina's car

I work in the hills, I take corners hard, no so called issue with Wheel Bearings...........

At the end of the day which has been covered 1,000s of time - you pay for what you get - if you want the STD offset then you have to pay for it

Whats has been missed is that UPC - MR-Spares include the Upper and Lower Ball Joints - the others dont so you have to add that to your costings

PROEF 13.46 @ 105.78mph - 1994 Ford Fairmont EF NA 6cyl Man 3.9 diff Sedan
Stock Fuel Pump, 29lb Injectors, JMM Street Series Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, 205rwkw

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU2 75th Anniversary Futura

SA, Australia

SVO_EB - Good write up you have on these brake kits.

What options do you recommend for an AU2 falcon?

My driving style is for Heavy street use in the hills with daily usage in peak traffic. I want to be able to brake later in the hills. I dont do any track work.

Currently, I have RDA slotted rotors all round with Bendix HD pads. They are an improvement on stock, but I reckon they could be better based on the way I drive. I find after some really hard braking, some fade does set in, and I need to back off a little. I hate when that happens. lol

Should I upgrade to say a slotted & cross drilled pair of rotors for the front, and go a more race inclined pad?

What brands do you recommend, and what kind of $$$ roughly would I need to invest?

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Arent you mates with the UPC guy DRHEMI?

http://www.effalcon.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 6ae7a00088

Biased advice on forums ftl.

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:20 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Hey Shav

As you have an AU you are a bit better off than us E-series owners. the problem for us is the upright and the way in which the caliper can attach. For the AU there is alot more stuff on the market which is a straight bolt on upgrade. There is the brakes that were on the XR's as well as the upgrade for the TS and TE series cars. I think you can also put the BA turbo brakes on. (I could be wrong). UPC also do an upgrade which I think is under a grand.

Cross drilled and slotted are not the right option for heavy braking. Their life is shoterned by cracks appearing between the cross drilling. Next time look at the brakes on pretty much any true race car. They are slotted only. If you can spare the money larger rotors are the best. they absorb more heat and dissapate it better. this means less fade. Which when you are doing heavy driving is what you are after most

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 6  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next