Fordmods Logo

Different Diff Types Explained 

Page 9 of 14 [ 203 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next

Post subject: Re: Different Diff Types Explained
Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:02 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 1996 ford el futura

NSW, Australia

awsome rite up man that cleared up a couple of things about full spool and mini spool diffs for me cheers :mrgreen:

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:23 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Just curious...

For me, someone who has never driven something with LSD... You guys talk about LSD's being tight and backlash, what exactly is this and how does it feel? Is this a wear factor of LSD's?

Do LSD's (clutches) just wear out over time? Driving them hard contributes to this? And when they do wear do they just become single spinners?

Viscous (hydratrak) diff's, they are dearer than LSD's yeah? Are they better, more reliable, less prone to wear, stronger or better in some other way than a mechanical LSD?

Any help on this would be much appreciated...

Thanks,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Last edited by TimmyA on Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:48 am 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

timmytimtim wrote:
Just curious...

For me, someone who has never driven something with LSD... You guys talk about LSD's being tight and backlash, what exactly is this and how does it feel? Is this a wear factor of LSD's?
backlash is how much 'slack' there is between gears. jack your rear end up, put the car in neutral and turn the tailshaft. you'll notice that you can turn the tailshaft a bit before it starts to actually turn the wheels. thats backlash. It's not a problem that only happens to LSD's. All diffs. Also can happen with manual gearboxes. Basically anything with a pair (or more) of gears meshing together.
Tight in reference to LSDs is usually talking about how easily they unlock. An LSD that doesn't unlock very easily, to the point of skipping tyres a bit around tight low speed corners would be considered 'tight'. An LSD that singles when you try and do a donut would be 'not tight' :lol:

Do LSD's (clutches) just wear out over time? Driving them hard contributes to this? And when they do wear do they just become single spinners?
Yes, yes and yes if it's really f**k. Good oil can help prolong the life of an LSD, but it won't save it from abuse

Viscous (hydratank) diff's, they are dearer than LSD's yeah? Are they better, more reliable, less prone to wear, stronger or better in some other way than a mechanical LSD?
I've never had a hydratrak, but a mate has (VS Stato, from a Senator, same centre as EL GT basically) and he reckoned it was s**t. Would single when the fluid heated up, and was never as tight as a mechanical LS centre.
I know SFA about the actual mechanics behind them.
Other manufacturers do viscous diffs as well

Any help on this would be much appreciated...

Thanks,
Tim

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:17 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

oh ok thanks steady... :D

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr6 turbo

SA, Australia

Just curious if there is a write up somewhere on changing a single spinner to lsd.
I have a 3.23 ss in my fairmont but have access to 3.45 lsd but with a bent axel
Am I able to change the lsd and 3.45 gears out of his and put them in mine with ease

there are a few falcons in my drive way, some of them are turbo charged and some arent, some have big engines and some are small but they all have one thing in common and that is the blue oval on the front

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:36 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

James,

From what I can gather there is a bit of work in it... Esp if you want the gears to last and not wear each other out...

There is shims on the pinon gear and n the planetary system (or something of that nature) and you have to adjust the shims to get the gears to rub each other in the right spot so they don't wear out...

I don't think its that hard, just have to know what your doing and have access to the different sized shims and that I spose...

Someone else might be able to help you more, but thats my understanding of it...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

i may have to break out the good ole ford workshop manual and give it a crack. i dont know much but very willing to learn and work it out maybe if i can do it ill do a write up

there are a few falcons in my drive way, some of them are turbo charged and some arent, some have big engines and some are small but they all have one thing in common and that is the blue oval on the front

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:05 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Ford AU series 2 Wagon

VIC, Australia

im getting my 3.73 dif in a fortnight thanks for the info

wagoff

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Let us know what it costs

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon GLi

SA, Australia

Thanks man that helped :)

Now, I've got a message for all the other drivers out there. If you smell a delicious, crispy smell after the race, it's not your tailpipe. It's just a little of Shake...and Bake!
SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:13 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: ED Falcon Classic (project)

VIC, Australia

Ill stick with my mini spool had three weldys and broke every single one of them. Although the mini spool chatter turning corners is quite annoying and wrecks you rear end bushes quick

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

gday, i have a 3.08 EL single spinner diff that has been shimmed up so both wheels spin. Im wanting to get the diff rebuilt with 3.9 gears and a proper LSD center. I have been looking around and there are 25 and 28 spline diffs? Which one is mine and with a rebuild can i change that or will the diff have to be replaced?

Cheers

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

GeZza200 wrote:
gday, i have a 3.08 EL single spinner diff that has been shimmed up so both wheels spin. Im wanting to get the diff rebuilt with 3.9 gears and a proper LSD center. I have been looking around and there are 25 and 28 spline diffs? Which one is mine and with a rebuild can i change that or will the diff have to be replaced?

Cheers

Being an EL, your's will be a 28 spline

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

ok cheers, were earlier models 25 spline?

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

GeZza200 wrote:
ok cheers, were earlier models 25 spline?

Pre EB were 25 spline 28 is stronger

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Sort by  
 Page 9 of 14  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next