Fordmods Logo

ea sedan T5 into Auto EL wagon 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: ea sedan T5 into Auto EL wagon
Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:32 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

hey guys, recently wrapped my T5 EA around a light pole, so plan is now to put the manual coversion into an EL wagon i recently have been throwing money at. but, like always there is a few thing i am unsure of, which is when i jump on this website lol.
-i cant seem to find a clutch grommet on the wagon, is it located behind the sound deadener? if so, Where is it??
-will the tailshaft off the EL fit onto the EA t5??
-the pedal box in the EA has been welded, due to the previous owner bending the pedal box back in 1993 (got the receipt lol). it has been re-welded. will the whole unit fit in the EL? or will i need to get an EL pedal box.
-will the ECU be ok, the thing i am worried about is that they have a trans temp sender to the ECU dont they? correct me if i am wrong, but will this throw out sensors and put my engine light on? what can you do here? bridge the plug? or perhaps chuck a resistor in there?
thanks guys

Post subject: Re: ea sedan T5 into Auto EL wagon
Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

gasdea wrote:
hey guys, recently wrapped my T5 EA around a light pole, so plan is now to put the manual coversion into an EL wagon i recently have been throwing money at. but, like always there is a few thing i am unsure of, which is when i jump on this website lol.
-i cant seem to find a clutch grommet on the wagon, is it located behind the sound deadener? if so, Where is it??
Same place as in the EA Sedan
-will the tailshaft off the EL fit onto the EA t5??
Yes
-the pedal box in the EA has been welded, due to the previous owner bending the pedal box back in 1993 (got the receipt lol). it has been re-welded. will the whole unit fit in the EL? or will i need to get an EL pedal box.
With alot of angle grinding, yes
-will the ECU be ok, the thing i am worried about is that they have a trans temp sender to the ECU dont they? correct me if i am wrong, but will this throw out sensors and put my engine light on? what can you do here? bridge the plug? or perhaps chuck a resistor in there?
Do a search through the Technical Documents, you will find what resistors you need
thanks guys

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:42 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

thanks bud, what do you mean by alot of angle grinding?

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:52 am 
Fordmods Junkie

gasdea wrote:
the pedal box in the EA has been welded, due to the previous owner bending the pedal box back in 1993 (got the receipt lol). it has been re-welded. will the whole unit fit in the EL? or will i need to get an EL pedal box.

Actually, it wont fit properly because the EA has the umbrella style hand brake. This is mounted to the pedal box. The other problem with this is the way the brake pedal is connected to the brake booster is different between EA and EL.

You will need a EF or EL pedal box, if you cant find one or your handy with a welder try this out.

fordmods-technical-documents-diy-f38/auto-to-manual-pedal-box-conversion-new-design-t77110.html

While doing the conversion, you might consider doing this aswell.

fordmods-technical-documents-diy-f38/firewall-re-enforcment-plate-manual-e-series-t66746.html

Cheers.

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:58 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

so el tailshaft is ok?

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:59 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Yes

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: BA Ford Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

What you propose is possible. I have done the same thing but in reverse.

You will need to grind the captive nuts out of the EA pedal box and then slot the holes for the EL dash and steering column to mount on/into. Disregard the above comment on the EA handbrake. Also, not sure whether the EA booster is any different to any other E series, perhaps it is an orphan, I can't comment but I can say that I've used my ED V8 booster on a ED auto pedal box, an EB manual pedal box and finally a EL auto pedal box.

Interested in a fair go for the Hunter-New England area of NSW?

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

banarcus wrote:
What you propose is possible. I have done the same thing but in reverse.

You will need to grind the captive nuts out of the EA pedal box and then slot the holes for the EL dash and steering column to mount on/into. Disregard the above comment on the EA handbrake. Also, not sure whether the EA booster is any different to any other E series, perhaps it is an orphan, I can't comment but I can say that I've used my ED V8 booster on a ED auto pedal box, an EB manual pedal box and finally a EL auto pedal box.

samftr put an EA pedal box that was attacked with an angle grinder into his old EF.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:00 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

banarcus wrote:
Disregard the above comment on the EA handbrake.

Yes you are right, this would only be an issue if trying to use a EF or EF pedal box in a EA because there would not be any means to mount the hand brake on the EF EL pedal box.

gasdea, has mentioned the EA pedal box has been welded, and I would suspect this has been done in the car. This being the case, I would not be trusting this pedal box at all.

To save having to rip the dash out of the EA for the sake of using a dodgy pedal box, I would get a EF or EL manual pedal box, or an auto one and performing the suggested mod to it as I have suggested above.

Doing this will save you two jobs.

1. save you the hassle of pulling out 2 dash boards.

2. save you the messing around of slotting the holes out in the EA pedal box to suit the EL brake booster.

There is no need to do more work than you have to.

EL auto pedal boxes are a dime a dosen and if you cant weld, it should not cost you more than $50 to have that pin welded in the auto pedal box. You can use the clutch pedal from the EA on your modded EL box.

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

MAL WOOD AUTO (Mal Wood Clutch Pin http://www.malwoodauto.com.au/innovations.htm) or try the FIEND alternative... the-garage-f53/futurlane-ultimate-budget-build-t69180-341.html

The hole for the clutch pin (the thing the pedal pivots on) is there, it's just a matter of making something up to stick a pin on. You do not have to remove your dash, nor the pedal box to do this (as per links above)

The actual pin itself can be the identical pin as used by the EF / EL to support the brake pedal. You can go to a wreckers and smash on out (without having to remove dash) and then find a way of mounting it properly... Or you can remove your EL dash and have a look.

It is far better (in my humble opinion) to re-work the EL box than use the already dicey EA. You can have a look at the pedal box, guess where it may fail, and improve it's design somewhat.

Absolute must do is cut some steel to suit the left hand arm that supports the clutch pin and fix the pin to this... That's where they all fail in the end...

Joshies (XR-Lane's) example of using a brake pin and welding it to the back wall of the pedal box is good, if you have the technology and the time...

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:18 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

dash is already out of the EA, the main reason i am doin this is the auto is on its way out and i have the manual sitting there, so i may aswell put the manual in the wags.
it should love the manual box. i cant wait to do it!

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:06 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Well you might as well use it now lol.

As it is going into a EL anyway, you could possibly cut off the bracket the EA hand brake mounts on, just to clean it up a but.

And while its out get a solid plate welded where the clutch pedal shaft is, on the inside. Might as well make sure your not taking it out again later on down the track, because it breaks :)

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: DCII LTD V8

New Zealand

The Mal Wood pin, as Fiend said, is a great alternative, they have revised the design so it now includes a massive brass plate that supports the whole side of the pedal box, you will never ever have a cracked pedal box with this thing on it. So easy too, and works identical to the real box, only better 8-)

1993 LTD V8 Oregon 5 speed "click me"

Trick Flow Heads/Cam/Intake, Crane Ignition, T5Z Trans.

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

XR-Lane wrote:
Well you might as well use it now lol. As it is going into a EL anyway, you could possibly cut off the bracket the EA hand brake mounts on, just to clean it up a but. And while its out get a solid plate welded where the clutch pedal shaft is, on the inside. Might as well make sure your not taking it out again later on down the track, because it breaks :)
And this is better than using a reworked EL one, how? I'd go with using a newer and self improved EL one over a dicey EA one that has cracked and been fixed multiple times.

As stated in my original message - strengthen the left hand side where the pin goes through. Anyway, if he is pulling the dash out and doing all this then he'd be more than able to see and make his own decision.

I have fixed old EA / EB ones before that have also cracked multiple times. You really do need a solid bit of metal welded around the whole area. Ideally drill a big hole and fit a plate over the pin and change the bush / washer arrangement to keep pedal sitting in correct place. So you end up with a steel sandwhich with the original pin supported to Harbour Bridge tollerances.

XFWAGON wrote:
The Mal Wood pin, as Fiend said, is a great alternative, they have revised the design so it now includes a massive brass plate that supports the whole side of the pedal box, you will never ever have a cracked pedal box with this thing on it. So easy too, and works identical to the real box, only better 8-)
Dead right there...

And, yes, Mal Wood did see my FIEND WOOD design before changing theirs...
Bloody Fiend :roll:

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:06 am 
Fordmods Junkie

fiend wrote:
XR-Lane wrote:
Well you might as well use it now lol. As it is going into a EL anyway, you could possibly cut off the bracket the EA hand brake mounts on, just to clean it up a but. And while its out get a solid plate welded where the clutch pedal shaft is, on the inside. Might as well make sure your not taking it out again later on down the track, because it breaks :)
And this is better than using a reworked EL one, how? I'd go with using a newer and self improved EL one over a dicey EA one that has cracked and been fixed multiple times.

As stated in my original message - strengthen the left hand side where the pin goes through. Anyway, if he is pulling the dash out and doing all this then he'd be more than able to see and make his own decision.

I have fixed old EA / EB ones before that have also cracked multiple times. You really do need a solid bit of metal welded around the whole area. Ideally drill a big hole and fit a plate over the pin and change the bush / washer arrangement to keep pedal sitting in correct place. So you end up with a steel sandwhich with the original pin supported to Harbour Bridge tollerances.

I never said it was any better :P , But it looks to me he has made his mind up. I still say mod a El one as I have done with mine.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]