Fordmods Logo

EF Fairmont Ghia Lowered Suspension Trouble 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: EF Fairmont Ghia Lowered Suspension Trouble
Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:11 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

i have a 95 Ford Fairmont Ghia running on LPG Gas, a fair few months ago i needed to get the back shocks done on the car so i got that while they did that they checked the rest of the suspension and found i needed the front done, so i decided to look into getting it lowered, got a price said yeah lets do it.

Went to pick up my car to park it at work suspension place and work was right next to each other so i went around the corner and heard a noise. Took it straight back, they told me the 17inch wheels i got are not the right ones for my car, they are too wide, so they gave me a number to contact to get the guards rolled and go back to the tyre place to talk to them about it.

So i did talk to them and they told me that they are the correct ones for the car.

So now im still having trouble with my wheels scrapping on the guards not so much as before but still enough to be needing to get it fixed.

i have a 17x8 inch ROH wheel i got the wheels done before the suspension but got told at tyre place i shouldnt have any problems lowering it just need to get a caster/camber kit which i did when got it lowered.

What can i do to fix my problem?

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

roll the guards.
i haven't done mine and they don't scrub at all, but i have 15's on it at the moment.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Do you know what the offset of the wheels are. I have problems with the front wheels on my car 94 ef ghia with 17x8 finding the guards when turning in or out of a drive way but the rear is ok

ef fairmont ghia 5.0L
classy cruiser

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

i have rolled both front and back guards, the guy who did it for me was surprised that i had to do the back.

Pretty much sometimes when im just even in the car i sometimes scrap the exhaust, but generally cant have anymore than two people at a time, and sorry cant remember off my head the offset i got.

But getting really annoyed when i go take it places and people say they are the right wheels and shouldnt have a problem but yet im having these problems, currently i have got someone who has a contact in the roh wheel company who says they are they right wheels but checking as to why i am scrapping.

At the back of the car the right hand side wheel is the only wheel at the back thats been dug in by the guards but the left is fine which is strange

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:52 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

I have 18s, superlows and LPG tank in the boot, no issue at all with it.

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

twirqurky, thats interesting, maybe i should look into superlows, i have been told the problem that i have at moment is a very common problem and that i should of got the lowered suspension first then the wheels, also been told that i can get harder springs but pedders tell me i have hard ones already, also from another pedder place there, a guy said him and his bro did wat i did and rolled the front guards and that was it didnt have any other trouble, im getting sick of spending money trying to fix this problem that everyone is pretty much telling me i shouldnt have a problem

Post subject: ??
Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1990 EA Spac

NSW, Australia

You must remember that cars like everything else have tolerances and this applys to body panels. If you were to measure wheelarch width on 20 cars they would all be different and occasionally you get one that is quite a bit different. You can sometimes stretch the wing out carfully as well as rolloni the guards.
Measure the wheelarch width at the rear and see if the one that rubs is narrower. Also look to see if the wheel is sitting the same distance from the guard, maybe the axle has moved due to worn bushes etc.

Hope this helps.

Drive safe, arrive alive

EA Spak EL dash and interior, thermo's,BBM, EF head and cam, superlows,

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

the whole suspension is new, everything has been changed, everyone who has looked at my car says it fine, pedders has had it 2 times having it the whole day and is pretty much telling me it was the wheels now on the second time they are telling me its all good the wheels are correct, but this time someone from the wheel company is looking right into it so hopefully they will tell me as soon as possible even the roh guy was surprised

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA MkII XR6 Ute

VIC, Australia

Do you drive it like a lowered car?

You would scrape the right rear tyre more than the left, as most of the time you turn into a driveway etc from the left lane, and therefore the right hand side suspension compresses = tyres on guards. Before you say that you turn right into driveways just as much, remember that when you do that you cross a lane of traffic and therefore hit the driveway head on, rather than on an angle.

Saving a lowered car from scraping on tyres/exhaust/ground comes down mostly to driving style. You will see people with non-lowered cars scraping on things that people in lowered cars can get over, solely due to different driving styles.

We'll keep our cow s**t in the country, you keep your bull s**t in the city.

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:44 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF Farimont

NSW, Australia

look ati t this way lowered car = guard is closer to wheel. when u turn wheel is sticking out you get body roll guard touches wheels. every lowered car will do this if their lowered enough. no matter what wheels you have

8 inch wide thats 2 inches wider than stock. its $80 to get the gards rolled
that gives you more clearance

1997 Ford EL Fairmont
Blue Dash Mod
Red LCD mod
Full Alpine Sterio
Pedders Super Low Sports Rider Suspension
CSA avenger 17x8 (235/45 front) (255/40 Rear)
DBA slotted Rotors (front & Back)
EBC Greenstuff pads (front & Back)

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

deano i have rolled all guards yet still have a problem, they are the right wheels for the car, as even the roh contact from pedders said they are right. but now i think im better off just getting new wheels again, i only lowered it because i had the money and when looking at the gas tank at the back empty looked way to high up.

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

can ya get some photos of the wheels for us.. close up's of the hub. maybe some pics of the wheels at full lock etc so we can get an idea of how low your car is and the clearance you have?

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:11 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

Find someone you trust (ie local mechanic) and get their opinoin. It seems everyone is telling you something different.

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF wagon & EF fairmont wagon & M

VIC, Australia

never had a prob on mine. 17x8 235's 255's would probably rub I expect.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]