Fordmods Logo

EF/L V8 vs i6 auto gearbox 

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: EF/L V8 vs i6 auto gearbox
Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:15 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Hanni - BA XR6T

VIC, Australia

going to ring that bloke in shepparton today about the v8 gearbox - tried to get one locally but theres no way im payin $770 when i can pick this one up in melbz for $400 with a warranty - sounds too good to be true but well find out i suppose . . .

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:59 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

What year model is the transmission he's selling from?

Falcons aren't exactly uncommon cars in Australia y'know so you shouldn't expect parts from 10 year old models to be that pricey at all...

JT

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:10 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

JT- wrote:
What year model is the transmission he's selling from?

Falcons aren't exactly uncommon cars in Australia y'know so you shouldn't expect parts from 10 year old models to be that pricey at all...

JT

yeah thats what i was thinking - i nearly died of shock when the bloke said $770 . . . im not sure what the one i found locally for $770 is out of but the one that im picking up from melbourne is im pretty sure is out of a 96 fairlane . . . but if i do have any issues with it ive got the warranty there . . . im happy with $400 coz to find one around my area is pretty hard as i found out after calling 12 differant wreckers and at the price they go for here is rediculous . . . i have been keeping my eye out on ebay but to no avail . . . and besides i want the car back on the road by the 30th and my chances of finding one cheaper between now and then are pretty slim . . .

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

JT- wrote:
The boxes from wreckers typically aren't tested either, so if you get one that has an issue, having a warranty is great, but swapping them out isn't exactly the smallest job.

also be aware that the "warranty" that some wreckers give (ebay for example), are a parts only replacement warranty.

eg. You install the box, box is f**k within 30 days, then you whinge to them, and they hand/post you a single part they think is f**k and your left with a f**k box, and good replacement part to fix it with and no knowledge how to pull it apart and fix it

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:50 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
JT- wrote:
The boxes from wreckers typically aren't tested either, so if you get one that has an issue, having a warranty is great, but swapping them out isn't exactly the smallest job.

also be aware that the "warranty" that some wreckers give (ebay for example), are a parts only replacement warranty.

eg. You install the box, box is f**k within 30 days, then you whinge to them, and they hand/post you a single part they think is f**k and your left with a f**k box, and good replacement part to fix it with and no knowledge how to pull it apart and fix it

thanks fordfairmont . . . the way i look at it though with only 177xxxkms how f**k could it be (then again i cant really know for sure the amount of kms it ACTUALLY has)? but thats ok i suppose its all i can really afford anyway as i am hopeless at saving cash and have dipped into my car account. this bloke on ebay has 100% positive feedback so i think im going to take my chance with it - like i said before i would really like her back on the road by the 30th . . . thanks heaps for the heads up though mate - much appreciated :p

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:48 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BF SR, ED XR8

NSW, Australia

Hey, I had an Au XR8 auto put into my ED 5ltr V8 Wagon. its still going. paid $500 for the box.

If you can't afford a FORD, Dodge a Holden

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:33 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

s**t that's pretty good 777fordv8 . . . Im hoping this one will be ok . . .

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:15 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

I picked up a gearbox from an el xr8 yesterday . . . Looks in pretty good nick so hopefully should be good - paid $400 for it . . . So since I picked it up so cheap this thread was probably pretty useless so sorry to all mods . . . And thanks heaps to all that posted and helped me out ;) will post update once its in and going

Cheers
Grant

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2