Fordmods Logo

EF v8 dropping out of gear randomly 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: EF v8 dropping out of gear randomly
Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

I rebuilt the motor in my ef 5 litre auto, out of car. Since putting it back in ive had some issues. Initially there was a fault where the car wouldnt start. I never found out what that was. But managed to get around it and get it started and running. But since then, it drops in and out of gear. Just like you stuck it in neutral. driving along, doing 60, and bam, no drive. So i thought fluid level. Checked that, its fine. Second thought was neutral/inhibitor switch. They seem to cause a lot of gearbox related issues. Just stuck one in this morning, but its made no difference. Doesnt matter what speed im doing, it just drops out of gear. The low water level light comes on a bit, sometimes when its just dropped out of gear, but the water level is fine. To get it to drop back in, sometimes it will do it at neutral, but most of the time i need to get the revs above 3000 to get it to come back in. When it does, it hits hard, so it doesnt feel like what a slipping band would be like, but i dont actually know. Any ideas? Im spent :(
Ta

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont

ACT, Australia

Mine does this from time to time too, so I'd like to hear the outcome of this. I once had to turn the car off and on again to get it going at a roundabout. I figure it's just having it's period, seeing as it happens about once a month. Might try changing the trans fluid.

Auto '99 AU Fairmont
--------------------------------------
Pacemaker 4499's, Hi-flow cat, 2.5" Redback catback
K & N Filter, NGK Plugs
Lows all 'round, Monroe's in the front, GSR's in the rear
Pioneer H/U
Tickford Bodykit
COMING SOON:
17's
30mm + 22mm adjustable sway bars.

Last edited by Airved on Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Mine happens every couple of minutes, i prefer your symptoms!

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Anyone?

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:20 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Have you turned on the the instrument cluster diagnostic (gear position mode 8) and seen what it reads when the issue happens?

My fairmont falls out of gear and the diagnostic shows that its going into N or R while the selector stick is still on D.

I havent had a chance to take a look at the inhibitor switch just yet, I think that's my issue.

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Seems the tech doco is down? How do you get into mode 8?

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

# 1) With the ignition key in the off position, press and hold the Odometer reset knob for 10 seconds.
# 2) whilst holding the button in, switch the ignition to the on position. (Note : It is not necessary to start the car).
# 3) With the ignition on, press the odometer button 3 times in quick succession.
# 4) On the third press, hold the odometer button down, until the Seatbelt lamp is no longer illuminated.
# 5) The Odometer should blank out. After a period of 10 seconds, the display will flash FORD

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Cheers for that. I ended up getting it sorted. After i asked ford to check the fluid, they got it wrong. Had it driving fine for a few days, and now its stuck in drive. No neutral, no reverse, no park. Diagnostic mode shows it selecting those gears. but it doesnt shift. I would have thought that the park detent, the pawl, would select via something solid, not a solenoid, so its like something has let go in the trans. What do you think?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]