Fordmods Logo

gearbox issues yet again 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: gearbox issues yet again
Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: fairmont

QLD, Australia

hey all, my gearbox seems to playing up yet again, i wont go into details about other issue but old members will know, now it seems that the car has trouble going into gear, and occasionly slips outa gear i was thinking it wsa the srynchos, if so how much roughly are they or it is better to get a reco box from somewhere, coz i found out the one i bought wasnt reco'd

Now i have a EF XR8 5spd.........mmmmmm 5L

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: XH B&S ute, Navara 4x4

Power: 202 rwkw

SA, Australia

If you can afford it mate reco is always better than repaired. A problem like that isn't generally syncros.

BTW I do remember your "issues" with the box supplied by the "other" fella :evil:

You'll ride a black tornado across the western sky

You'll rope an ol' blue norther and milk it 'till it's dry

Bulldog the Diamantina pin its ears down flat

Long before you take this cowboy's hat

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

lol yeh i know, but i am looking at a new car at end of year so i dont know wat to do lol

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:45 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Is your clutch pedal adjusted correctly, i.e. 140mm+- 3mm travel to the floor ??

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

will check that snap so the clutch pedal should be from bk to floor 140mm?? sweet might do it later, thanx for that, it sux having floor mats to coz they push up under clutch pedal

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:36 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

No probs dude - measure from the top of the pedal pad to the factory carpet - if there's any mats, etc, pull them aside when doing this.

It won't cure the jumping out of gear, but should sort out difficult gearchange (if this is happening in most gears). You can slightly adjust to lower/raise the friction point to your liking - don't go overboard, as it will overtravel the pressure plate fingers if adjusted too far.

I remember those pics you posted with the clutch fork, etc - I do believe the cause may have been the cable was done up too tight, as it looked the similar to pics that voxace posted. This means the throwout bearing will be very tight up against the pressure plate, it may get hot and seize, meaning it will break the 2 TO fork tangs and spin. Eventually they can shatter.
Since both g/boxes were fitted by a former site sponsor, I tend to think it isn't a coinicidence, that both had similar damage.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

snap your a legend mate, it has solved 95% of the problems, yeh the other stuff ay. haha cost me a fortune to get fixed but meh it happens, learn from mistakes, i am looking at getting it reco'd again shortly, just to be safe, it still has a little bit of troule going into gear but i may adjust it more

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:37 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

That's good to hear. You'll probably find that the friction point when adjusted correctly may be a little close to the floor, so you can adjust it up so the gear is completely disengaged when changing.
It's quite normal (from what I've found) that the clutch pedal will sit higher than the brake pedal.
Yeah, I suppose put your g/box install down to experience.
I stripped my g/box down before fitting it, it wasn't too hard (and I'm no mechanic), so might be an option to DIY.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]