Fordmods Logo

Have i been screwed by Pedders? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Have i been screwed by Pedders?
Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5lt Turbo NC, TE V6 Gemini

VIC, Australia

BA Fairmont Ghia...was already lowered when we bought it, and on the stock 17's didnt sit much lower than stock, went to pedders today and asked for 'ultralows' in the rear. Took the old spring out and noticed the new and old springs are the same part number! Have i been screwed?!

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Go there and whinge to them first instead of talking about it. It could simply have been a mistake. People make them.

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EAII Falcon S

QLD, Australia

if you allready had king ultralows in they would have replaced them with new ultralows.
"the customer wants ultralows" so thats what they replace, been there before.
you should be able to sell the old ones if they are ok.

pedders have competitive prices with springs, but installation costs are allways overpriced imo
but they do a good job.

Speed Safely! ;-)

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5lt Turbo NC, TE V6 Gemini

VIC, Australia

Ok ill clear this up...Not complaining bout Pedders in general, more curious as to what the equivalent of a King Springs SSL is in Pedders with regards to ride height? I always assumed that SSL's sat a car very low...so if my car already had SSL's in it there is something very wrong, it sat maybe 10mm lower than a stock BA XT?

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EAII Falcon S

QLD, Australia

i got new king superlows all round and i dont think think its all that low, im happy with the front but the back is a bit high, its probably only twice the height of the front but if i had the originlal springs in the rear it would raise it another 2-3 inches (seriously).

your black ba in your sig looks like a good height. i reckon it comes down to what spring manifacturers decide on how low you can go with the legal height limit. altho all the cars ive seen with ludacris low-low ride height usualy have adjustable airbag suspension installed.

Speed Safely! ;-)

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

I used to work in the suspension business but it was a little while ago. From memory back then low springs were usually 1 1/2" lowered and super low springs were 2" lowered. This tied in with the fact that many passenger cars have around 6" of ground clearance when standard and by law must have at least 4" of ground clearance. All parts of the vehicle except the wheels of course must be at least 4" off the ground, equivalent to a cigarette packet on it's side i was told.

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Furthermore . . .

Sometimes the spring manufacturers got it wrong (even the catalogues), sometimes the retailers, sometimes the customer. Just got to work through each situation.

One problem was when people fitted tyres with a lower profile on the front compared to the back on vehicles that had higher guards on the front (to clear the wheels when turning). The wheel-to-guard heights ended up very different. The situation was typically worse because when wide tyres are fitted they come closer to the guards and the gap is more noticeable. The best solution was to fit the same profile tyres, and sometimes lower springs on the front.

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EL Wagon, Honda CBR600, The Wife

VIC, Australia

ring them and ask what the lowest coil they list is, they only have 2 low coil part numbers listed for the rear, if thats your part number youve got their lowest, super,ultra & what ever arn't Pedders terms anyway, these terms have stemmed from Kings mostly.

"In my opinion, my opinion is better than yours"

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:52 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

pedders are re painted munroes

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:30 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

s**t xfman, they make their own coils at their own plant, their shocks are assembled at Munroe plants but are to their own spec and design, put a set of munroe gt gas on a shock tester and compare the gsr, you should look into things like that before making these statements, not that there is anything wrong with monroe lol by the way since when did monroe make coils ???

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:57 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

Pedders springs are King springs, unless otherwise specified, ie you want a progressive wound spring, king only offer static, pedders shocks are manufactured by monroe and in some cases are monroe items other times are monroe items with pedders spec rates.

That is a FACT

I have a car.

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:52 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

DC i'm not going to get into a tit 4 tat , post count upping argument on here about this but i think you have been mislead, the pull apart a monroe, and pull aprt a pedders , and pull apart a kyb, bet u they are all different, correct in saying they are assenbled at monroe & may use monroe bodies but they are not monroes, the coils are not kings & are made here in victoria by pedders sister company next to their wharehouse, ive been there.

That is FACT.

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:05 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

yep my mistake i meant kings....

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

When i was in the industry Pedders shocks were American Gabriels, and i know this for a fact. Gabriel shocks are rebadged a lot.

I vaguely recall Pedders changing their spring supplier back around 1994 to a mob in Melbourne, or at least Victoria.

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:33 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

all i will say for now, pedders dont rebadge anything, they may use the bodies of the company they subcontract to assemble their shocks for tooling purposes thats it, they dont repaint springs,all springs are made by pedders(manufacturing company has different name but owned essentially by pedders) Newcom, pedders outlets may order coils from other manufactures if they dont have a product for instance, or a special build that cant be done as quick, maybe many moons ago this may have been the case but not now (last 10 year approx). Gabes were the assemblers of shocks approx 10year ago,munroe previous to that, and now back to munroe. Long story short, Pedders shocks are Pedders shocks & Pedders Coils are Pedders coils no rebadge or repaint.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next