Ive lost second gear in my auto?still beat a rice lancer lol 

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Ive lost second gear in my auto?still beat a rice lancer lol
Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:31 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

Well, Im driving along, down hill, light goes green ahead of me, and I floor it in first, I go to second, free rev... I was like what the f**k?
So I change to third.. all good, keeps going..

It KINDOF grips in second, but only till like 1900RPM, then it caves in and starts free reving. I filled up with a bit of auto fluid, and didn't make the smallest difference, I filled it up quickly and without checking levels, but yeah.. it happened all of a sudden, oh and no leaks.
The same day (today), this morning actually, my temperature gauge did a funny thing, went to MAX red, for like 2 secs and then came back after I gave it a bit.

Also, I seem to have lost 4th aswell... goes it revs to high on 80, and it changes into 4th, and as soon as I touch the accelerator back into 3rd.
First works fine.

Here's the strange part:
My car seems to go better - maybe its lighter if its lost tranny fluid? :lol:
I beat a riced up lancer by about 5 car lengths if not more, and he was flooring the s**t out of it... I normally only beat them by about 2 cars max, and sometimes get beaten by the ones that actually have stuff under the bonnet that actually helps performance.

I use my car daily, so I need to fix this ASAP, also my budget is pretty much 0, so yeah.

Thanks in advance.

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:13 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

mm thats weird
kidna sounds like limp home mode...

clean the the selctor shaft thingo
big plastic plug on the passenger side of teh box

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

If youve lost both fourth and second, im fairly confident it will be a broken band in the gearbox. limp home mode just chucks it in third. Definately get it checked out

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

No money, do you have time? Perhaps we can work on it.. FM work on justfordima's car day lol.

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:22 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF Gli

WA, Australia

Interesting, i don't really have any suggestions at all, but yea my car did the same thing, the free revin part but that was becos me fuel pump relay decided for sum fukin reason it didn't wana make contact anymore on the me home from perth.

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Here's a question for you, if it's an auto, how did you change it to third? I mean even if you have the shifter is 1, 2, 3 or D, when you take off the car will actually always be in 1st. And say your driving along and you had the shifter in 2nd, and you knock it up to 3rd, it doesn't mean that it has now changed into third gear, it'll only change when the auto decides to based on the revs and speed and mode (power/economy)...

By the way Andrew J, I don't know much on the internals on gearboxs, but I did read once that the 4 speeds don't have bands, but the older 3's do. May or may not be true!

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
Here's a question for you, if it's an auto, how did you change it to third? I mean even if you have the shifter is 1, 2, 3 or D, when you take off the car will actually always be in 1st. And say your driving along and you had the shifter in 2nd, and you knock it up to 3rd, it doesn't mean that it has now changed into third gear, it'll only change when the auto decides to based on the revs and speed and mode (power/economy)...

By the way Andrew J, I don't know much on the internals on gearboxs, but I did read once that the 4 speeds don't have bands, but the older 3's do. May or may not be true!

well if he backed off, it would think it was time to change gears, and would therefore do so accordingly. And about the bands, im not 100% sure either, but from memory, i think they do. Another thing, one of our friends EA had an auto in that, and it used to jump straight from second to fourth in about two seconds, even if it was held flat. Just turned out to be something small, but cant remember what.

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

i drove a lancer today...bloody cold a/c...
it the driving school's car...
i'm learning to drive a manual...
lancers are easy to beat in falcons tho...we alway beat one near our house

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:04 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Falcon EL XR6

WA, Australia

well i think that is shame if u get beaten by a lancer, dont give them things any credit, ever since i beat one in my 1986 ford laser against me mate i have no respect for those things at all

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:01 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

I doubt its limp home mode.. cos I still have first???

It is an auto, and I dunno about the bands, I know that the 4 speed does have bands, cos my manual shows how to adjust them.

As for changing, I was going down a hill, and I was driving auto-manual... meaning, I kept it in first until I hit around 5, and then I pushed it up into second, and since the car is in economy mode (was at the time), it was meant to change at like 2500-3000 so it changes straight away.

And that FM work on justfordima's car sounds good....lol

So, get it checked out.. thats good lol, but what can I do for now?? maybe its something simple? I can afford something simple like a dunno maybe a tranny service kit? but I dunno if thats the problem... if its something serious Ill have to go bugging my parents lol

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

justfordima wrote:
It is an auto, and I dunno about the bands, I know that the 4 speed does have bands, cos my manual shows how to adjust them.

Unless you have the Genuine Ford Manual, you can't trust them, I mean in the manual I bought there one thing were theyre actually showinga Torrana or somthing.

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:04 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Ive got the gregory's manual, and so far, every picture they have had has been exact, and what they describe it all matches...

Maybe there aren't bands, but according to the manual there is, so if its worth doing something with them, Ill go for it...

Are they meant to be tightenened? or what? in the manual it just says Adjust accordingly or soemthing, it just tells you how to get to them.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon EGas

WA, Australia

There are bands!!! I know for certain that there are. and it sounds like you need to get your band that goes from 2nd to 4th adjusted (not 1st or 3rd) You might even need a new one. it happened to fast futura on FM and it was the signs of the box dying and he bought a manual box about 3 months later....to many burnouts.

BA Falcon Futura on EGas. Stock as...

EF 5 speed manual; PH 4480 Pacemaker Headers; 2 1/2" Lukey Mandrel Bent System; Hi Flow Walker Cat; Stage 3 Crow Cam; ChipTorque Chip; 3" Mandrel Bent Intake; K&N Pod Filter; Low Pedders Suspension; 17" EL GT Champagne Rims; RPM Series Clutch

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:57 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Smackdown wrote:
....to many burnouts.

yep, sounds like my problem.. lol

I was looking at getting a manual anyway, but for now until the end of the year I need my car to get to school and back.

So can someone like me fix these bands?
Where do I get spare ones from?
how much?

Ive recently accuired some funds, so let me know if it will be easier to let someone do it for me?

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon EGas

WA, Australia

I don't know too much about them but it cost him about $100 to get the bands adjusted. This is only a temporary fix though so keep that in mind. Manual is so much fun tho.

BA Falcon Futura on EGas. Stock as...

EF 5 speed manual; PH 4480 Pacemaker Headers; 2 1/2" Lukey Mandrel Bent System; Hi Flow Walker Cat; Stage 3 Crow Cam; ChipTorque Chip; 3" Mandrel Bent Intake; K&N Pod Filter; Low Pedders Suspension; 17" EL GT Champagne Rims; RPM Series Clutch

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next