Loads of rattles in neutral 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Loads of rattles in neutral
Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: DCII LTD V8

New Zealand

Well, started the car up for the first time today, car started first pop which i was stoked with. But the gearbox on the other hand, In neutral it has a loud rattle to it, but it appears to go away once it's in a gear. Can anybody tell me what this is? I'm f**k p****d off now, really don't want to have to take the box out again and spend more money on it. I need to buy a plane ticket to OZ to go pay the guy i bought it off a visit, eric-eb. Good thing i kept his address and work contacts.

Man did i get shafted.

Any help on what this rattle is would be great guys.

1993 LTD V8 Oregon 5 speed "click me"

Trick Flow Heads/Cam/Intake, Crane Ignition, T5Z Trans.

Post subject: Re: Loads of rattles in neutral
Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I know i get rattles in neutral while the clutch is out. tell me, if you put the clutch in while in neutral does the rattle mostly go away? Im pretty sure its the thrust bearing. will know in a few months when I get a new clutch and thrust bearing lol.

also I found putting tranzmax z instead of penrite gear oil really helped quieten the overall harshness of the t5.

tremec themselves recomend ATF with additive, as gear oil can result in blocking ring damage (too thick for the box). Which is stupid because if you go to an auto store, in their books the recomended stuff is gear oil. Disregard the auto store advice if you have put gear oil in it. Go to tranzmax z its heaps better. even add some lubrizol (easy to find) or microglide (better but harder to find).

enough isn't enough

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

The rattle only goes away when i put it in 1st. it's bloody loud. It has a brand new thrust bearing,spigot bearing, brand new Syntrax gear oil etc etc. Haven't been able to test drive it yet as i have a wrecked mazda sitting behind it that is waiting to be collected by the council.

it's a weird rattle, doesn't go away when i put the clutch in either.

I posted this in my build thread but here it is again:

http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c364/ ... V01406.flv

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: f6 rspec

NSW, Australia

i get a rattle when i let the clutch go in nuetral as well, not really that loud though. Goes away when i push the clutch in.

it was installed 'professionally'* with new clutch kit and bearings..

*not a place i would recommend for t5 conversions.

but anyway, if anyone has a fix for this i would be interested to know. Im running nulon atf with the nulon additive.

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

is the noise similar to the video i posted up? sounds like all yours is is a throw out bearing.... When i start this thing up, it's almost like i traded my LTD in for a caterpillar with big a** tracks lol

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:14 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: BF F6 Typhoon. XP Van.XF Hearse

NSW, Australia

If you have a rattly T5 when it is in neutral, It is usually a loose fitting brass syncro ring - usually caused by wear & tear with a box thats done a few KM's or somebody has not replaced them when they have done a rebuild.

With the engine running & the gearbox is in neutral, the only thing turning in the box is the input shaft. When the clutch is depressed, the drive is taken off the input shaft so nothing is turning - the noise goes away.

If the noise bothers you - Pull the box out & replace them.

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Did you check out that video clip i posted? at first i thought it could have been that, but it is seriously loud and sounds quite bad. Noise does not go away when i push the clutch in, it is always there....... When the box first landed from Aussie, it had a snapped shifter bushing inside the shifter housing (the plastic seat the shift stick sits in) almost like it had a bad knock on the transport flight over here...it is quite hard to select 4th and R, so i'm wondering if the knock also pushed the shifter rail too hard and broke off a selector fork? Maybe it fell down and is hitting against the gears and is what is making the noise? I should really re-label the title from RATTLES to "Big f**k off noises"

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

hmmm sounds like this t5 i picked up needs a load of work. Im back to square one lol... was always a risk, but was hoping fate would throw me a slightly better card.

I find with my t5, if im doing 60 in 4th, then gear down to 3rd and release the clutch to engine brake, I get the shudders for about 3/4s of a second. also, If i reved it out in 2nd, to about 5k rpm, and when i clutched in for the change, the shudder and vibration was biblical.

could my input shaft possibly be loose?

enough isn't enough

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

That sounds dodgy, are you running a manual ECU? As i know of people that have done the resistor trick complain of those issues when slowing down.

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yeah its a manual ecu, and its definatly box related.

according to the auto elec its not really feasable to resistor trick an au series gearbox.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:02 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

NSW, Australia

Grimketel wrote:
Go to tranzmax z its heaps better. even add some lubrizol (easy to find) or microglide (better but harder to find).

Transmax z and microglide eh? Cheers.

'97 V8 EL Ghia Webasto 400 sunroof, Tint, Parnell VSI LPG, UPC 330mm brake upgrade (drilled), Pacemaker twin system, T5 conversion (Billet Products shifter)

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:15 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: BF F6 Typhoon. XP Van.XF Hearse

NSW, Australia

XFWAGON wrote:
Did you check out that video clip i posted? at first i thought it could have been that, but it is seriously loud and sounds quite bad. Noise does not go away when i push the clutch in, it is always there....... When the box first landed from Aussie, it had a snapped shifter bushing inside the shifter housing (the plastic seat the shift stick sits in) almost like it had a bad knock on the transport flight over here...it is quite hard to select 4th and R, so i'm wondering if the knock also pushed the shifter rail too hard and broke off a selector fork? Maybe it fell down and is hitting against the gears and is what is making the noise? I should really re-label the title from RATTLES to "Big f**k off noises"

Have you tried it with that aftermarket shifter removed - so there is no load at all on the shift forks? Does the noise change with engine RPM's? Heard a noise similar to that once when somebody put a clutch plate in back the front & the damper springs of the plate were hitting against the flywheel bolts.

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Crane wrote:
Grimketel wrote:
Go to tranzmax z its heaps better. even add some lubrizol (easy to find) or microglide (better but harder to find).

Transmax z and microglide eh? Cheers.

you dont add additives to transmax-z..... its already forumlated with all that crap, tis why it costs so much too :)

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:06 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Well, not much point speculating - pull the box down and check insides.
Most manuals including Gregory's have reasonable guides on stripping down the T5 box.
Read up first.
Bearings can be expensive - the mainshaft is the biggest, then followed by the front countergear, as it has a cup with an o ring. Small nicks, etc on gears can be touched up with a sharpening stone, check bearing races for case hardening damage, etc.
I've done a couple of T5 boxes, and I wouldn't fit one to my car without knowing what it looks like inside.
If you can, get a second box for spares - I picked up a spare box where the owner sold the input shaft separately (silly boy), for cheap - buying spares separately can be expensive.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Cheers Snap, pulled it out today, it's rooted, absolutely stuffed. Im f**k p****d off to put it lightly, i paid this prick 1800 for basically an alloy T5 housing and a few teeth at the bottom of the box. I will upload some pics later, 2nd gear is stuffed and the lower cluster is totally shredded, theres nothing left on it. i pulled out a big bowl full of teeth with a magnet. This guy is lucky he ain't in NZ or he wouldn't not have many days left breathing. I took out a loan for this one cause in NZ dollars plus freight it cost me close to 3G. looks like i will have to take out another loan to either get a new one or fix this one. s**t there are some wankers out there, it's a small world though. We WILL meet someday :twisted:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next