Lowering - whats the deal 

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: XR6

VIC, Australia

data_mine wrote:
Whiteline have a full kits for Falcons, they've done the research, and my goodness does it ROCK.

I'ev got he full works superlow kit, sits low, handles like nothing else, and loosing the back end is a thing of the past, it just grips and grips.

what did that set you back sounds like a good setup i would like to do such a thing some day

BA XR8 BOSS 260
Winter White
18' gt-p wheels
Flash Tuned
2 jl 13.5' w3's
tv indash

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:53 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

$2200 fitted by Inline Steering and Suspension here in Canberra (they're authorised Whiteline disty/fitters)

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Manual

VIC, Australia

I got mine fitted by Wheelsworld in Osbourne park for $1290. But just shocks and springs not the swaybars yet.

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

sickd wrote:
i have superlows in my xr6 with the xr6 shocks and or uprights and the front has never bottomed out and if it ever does it will hit the boddy stops before the shock bottoms out, but yes it would be much better to have the shortened ones as the back of mine is a little bouncy but i rather that than hard thumps of shortened shocks cause with shortened shocks thay have a much harder dampening in them to stop the car hitting body stops

Ahhhh, no. It sounds like you're assuming that you can only get shocks in one configuration. Shocks should be tuned to match the springs.

It's the SPRING that stops the car bottoming out. The shock absorber does not affect the spring rate at all. If you want better ride quality, go to the expense of variable rate springs if you've only got single rate in ATM.

What people here don't seem to realise is that suspension is a VERY complicated thing. If it were so easy to just whack a spring in and bugger the shock then why do the Supercars spend so much time, money and testing getting suspension set-ups right?

I would love any one of your guys to walk up to someone who works on racing cars and tell them to their face how simple you think suspension is. It's like telling a brain surgeon that it's a simple 10 minute job to cut a tumor out of someone's brain.

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: XR6

VIC, Australia

i never said it was a simple job and i was also saying it is worth doing the whole lot if your gonna drive like a race car driver but if you want a low car that looks nice and does not cost you a fortune do it the cheaper way i drive mine hard and have had no probs been a good year and i can happily say it handles good definately better than before.

when i actually get a decent job i will be looking into the good setup.

BA XR8 BOSS 260
Winter White
18' gt-p wheels
Flash Tuned
2 jl 13.5' w3's
tv indash

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: au xr8 & 5.0 eb

VIC, Australia

unclewoja wrote:
sickd wrote:
i have superlows in my xr6 with the xr6 shocks and or uprights and the front has never bottomed out and if it ever does it will hit the boddy stops before the shock bottoms out, but yes it would be much better to have the shortened ones as the back of mine is a little bouncy but i rather that than hard thumps of shortened shocks cause with shortened shocks thay have a much harder dampening in them to stop the car hitting body stops

Ahhhh, no. It sounds like you're assuming that you can only get shocks in one configuration. Shocks should be tuned to match the springs.

It's the SPRING that stops the car bottoming out. The shock absorber does not affect the spring rate at all. If you want better ride quality, go to the expense of variable rate springs if you've only got single rate in ATM.

What people here don't seem to realise is that suspension is a VERY complicated thing. If it were so easy to just whack a spring in and bugger the shock then why do the Supercars spend so much time, money and testing getting suspension set-ups right?

I would love any one of your guys to walk up to someone who works on racing cars and tell them to their face how simple you think suspension is. It's like telling a brain surgeon that it's a simple 10 minute job to cut a tumor out of someone's brain.
i work with suspension all day everyday and we do set up quite a few race cars and everything you say is true but when your talking everyday road cars expsense seems to be the key word if i quoted every customer on the ultimate set up like coil over konis ect ect i dont think i would get to many p platers wanting it done also you need to take into account the stresses ect the a race car go through compared to a road car like 1/2 the young guys that come in have been to pedders had some lowered springs,shocks and a bit of nolathane thrown in and think its a race car suspension when 1/2 the time it would actully handle better standard on our roads that are differant to race tracks ie:pot holes ect suspension is a good thing but like all good things it costs money and you can spend a fortune when most wouldnt even notice the differance

Post subject: Re:
Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:57 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: Falcon BA 6 cyl

QLD, Australia

Spork wrote:
Option 3 is how I am going at the moment and I can say that after upgrading to the koni's and whiteline springs the car has BETTER ride (ie less bumps crash through the suspension) AND far far improved handling, I don't scrape on kerbs or bumps, I can put 5 people + luggage in the car without bottoming out and the whole 'feel' of the car is much improved. And not that it matters but the rear has gone down by about 1.5 inches and the front by 0.75.

But NO FAT Chicks,,,Right.....

This old thread just came up on Google & what you said about "Low & Super Low" is Right.
Most half done jobs with Super Lows end up handling like boats,, and they drag on everything ( saw a Super low,,lowered Holden stuck on a matchbox the other day).
Lows enhance handling & look good & legal too. Plus you can go do some bendy country driving ..away from the speed cameras..

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2