Fordmods Logo

Machining stub axles- BUDGET BIG BRAKE BUILD . BRAKES ON 

Page 8 of 41 [ 603 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 41  Next

Post subject: Re: Machining stub axles
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

Its a good idea ay, surprised no one else thought of it . Probably because it was to crazy enough to actually work lol

Should be some good results , going to the wreckers this sarvo to see if I can get some cheap au twin calipers , I seen some there but they may have been from a vx

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

The only worry I see is will the hub engage in the wheel enough to offer it support so the weight of the car isnt just sitting on the wheel studs?

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

EVL098 wrote:
The only worry I see is will the hub engage in the wheel enough to offer it support so the weight of the car isnt just sitting on the wheel studs?

I'm not sure what you mean , with the stock braking set up the weight of the car is on the studs ?

Or did you mean rotor ? I'd you did the hub will sit inside the rotor .

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I think i know what your saying , the weight of the rotor and wheel won't be on the studs , the rotor slips over the hub and sits in there the depth of the hub offset which is around 40mm.
Just need to machine the back of the hub so it sits in there an extra 8mm and will be flat against each other .

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

ef_falcon_95 wrote:
Its a good idea ay, surprised no one else thought of it . Probably because it was to crazy enough to actually work lol

It was discussed a few years ago on boosted, but I don't think anyone actually tried it.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

skidder wrote:
ef_falcon_95 wrote:

It was discussed a few years ago on boosted, but I don't think anyone actually tried it.

somebody on boosted made a hybrid uprite from memory, was between an e series/au onwards
but it effected the way the car drove and was useless, im sure it was tman who pointed it out on here with a link,

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

It was actually a hybrid lower control arm, with E Series inner, and AU outer, used AU uprights and upper control arm.

The problem with this design is that the E Series steering rack mounting position created unsuitable angles for the Tie Rods to the upright, creating uncontrollable steering bump.

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Well got some calipers , found them sitting next to a AU2 , so I assumed they were.
But put them next to rotors on a ba and I think they are ba . Also found another caliper which I think is the au2 but it didn't have the bracket so I was like wtf . It was smaller .

I test fitted the ba caliper on a au2 with au rotor and it sat on the disk fine .
Worst case senario I go back and swap them for au2 if I can find any .
They are dusty but hopefully work . Got them for $40 .

Anyway pics

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Found a part number
K247063C-5

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

benj hit the nail on the head in respond to my last post, wasnt too sure what they had done but you reminded me.

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

bry40l wrote:
skidder wrote:
ef_falcon_95 wrote:

somebody on boosted made a hybrid uprite from memory, was between an e series/au onwards
but it effected the way the car drove and was useless, im sure it was tman who pointed it out on here with a link,

I think it was just AU uprights with custom LCAs? Regardless, around the same time there was a thread with discussion regarding grinding the disc off to effectively make a floating hub set up. No one ran with it though, I assume because there is no way it could be approved by an approved person or whatever they are in other states.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

bry40l wrote:
benj hit the nail on the head in respond to my last post, wasnt too sure what they had done but you reminded me.

Ahh yep...saw it after I posted above, whoops.

EVL098 wrote:

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Had a look on eBay at au calipers and they are similar to mine .
Except my caliper looks long where the pad goes , where as a au one is shorter , can't see too much difference between the two any way .

Hub is getting machined tomorrow .

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:44 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 1991 eb1 fairmont

QLD, Australia

if all else fails race brakes melbourne do the hub to suit 330mm mustang rotors to e series as part of their saloon car brake upgrade, maybe they would supply them on their own.

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I asked them what they run, they said they either do a rotor like el gt or floating hub and rotor . I asked about prices but he kept rambling on lol probably won't sell them separate .

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Sort by  
 Page 8 of 41  [ 603 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 41  Next