Fordmods Logo

Machining stub axles- BUDGET BIG BRAKE BUILD . BRAKES ON 

Page 12 of 41 [ 603 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 41  Next

Post subject: Re: Machining stub axles
Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:17 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Ford EL XR8

NSW, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
I wonder what's wrong with using hex head HT bolts ??
Be aware too that dye penetrant only shows up surface cracks.

I guess nothing but i think it's a visual thing, he could see they were HT by looking at them....Ori could be totally wrong all together

EL XR8 II Manual, Ported GT40P's, E303 cam, Au220TB, 70mm MAF, HiFlo Cats, Tune (215rwkw) and some bigger brakes

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

what size wheels would need to be used with these suckers?

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

$500 :shock: , the kit is going to cost be about that .

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:40 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

This is a 16inch FTR with an EL GT disk 330mm, i did try to fit the wheel over when it was all bolted up and no chance, i would assume this will be the same

EL XR8 II Manual, Ported GT40P's, E303 cam, Au220TB, 70mm MAF, HiFlo Cats, Tune (215rwkw) and some bigger brakes

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Minimum 17" , hence el gt running 17"

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL xr6

VIC, Australia

That ftr with that disk behind it looks awesome!!! You'd best stick with the 19's corey.

EL xr6,standard a** au motor,hi-tech headers, 2 1/2inch red back,,Tikky kitted and wingless,Black GT-P's,on ultra lows and still too high

My Build: the-garage-f53/daniels-el-xr6-build-t100586.html

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

ef_falcon_95 wrote:

If you could get the engineer to write up reports saying the kits are compliant, and supply that with a few kits, spread the cost out over say 5 kits, then it's only $100 a kit. A $600 brake upgrade that has a certificate to take to your local RTA is cheap as chips, I'd be scraping up my spare cash to get one!

I already run 17's so no big deal there lol.

In regards to the cracking, I wonder if smaller cuts could be used? Say a .5mm cut. Would take longer, but results would be worth it.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:17 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
ef_falcon_95 wrote:

If you could get the engineer to write up reports saying the kits are compliant, and supply that with a few kits, spread the cost out over say 5 kits, then it's only $100 a kit. A $600 brake upgrade that has a certificate to take to your local RTA is cheap as chips, I'd be scraping up my spare cash to get one!

In regards to the cracking, I wonder if smaller cuts could be used? Say a .5mm cut. Would take longer, but results would be worth it.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

unfortunatly its not as simple in nsw, to get a brake upgrade complient/engineered it has to under go a proper braking test, which involves a racetrack and about $2000 just for the test...
i wouldnt worry about it, afaik none of the brake upgrade kits are engineered to be adr complient anyway...

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Well here's a pic of the upright modified . Hardest part was figuring out where to drill the hole .
The hole will have to be re-drilled with the mill a it's not very square lol and made slightly larger .
All faces will be milled flat then holes drilled . Then just have to make a bracket .

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:05 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
ToranaGuy wrote:
ef_falcon_95 wrote:

Cheers

ToranaGuy

unfortunatly its not as simple in nsw, to get a brake upgrade complient/engineered it has to under go a proper braking test, which involves a racetrack and about $2000 just for the test...
i wouldnt worry about it, afaik none of the brake upgrade kits are engineered to be adr complient anyway...

Mine never went on a race track, he did he's calculations and took it for a spin with some heavy braking, all signed, though my disks were proper ones not a cut up hub so that could play on things i suppose

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:33 pm 

NSW, Australia

alby1 wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
ToranaGuy wrote:
ef_falcon_95 wrote:

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Mine never went on a race track, he did he's calculations and took it for a spin with some heavy braking, all signed, though my disks were proper ones not a cut up hub so that could play on things i suppose

im going off what my engineer said when i asked about adding a brake kit and also terroristghia has a custom front brake set up that his engineer wanted the $2000 brake test before he would sign off on them..

i guess it depends on the engineer...

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Does terrorist ghia have his engineered ?

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:58 pm 

NSW, Australia

ef_falcon_95 wrote:
Does terrorist ghia have his engineered ?

afaik not yet, i think he is in the process of getting it done, i know he did an emission test recently....

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

It will depend on the engineer, but I can't see any being willing to sign off on the hub you've used without significant testing - most don't want to sign off on things unless they have done the machining or it is through someone they recommend (i.e. a professional with PI insurance). If they are willing to sign off on it they are likely to require a heap of crack/stress testing.

If they sign off on it without this testing and it later fails they are up for big negligence payments and big fines.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Last edited by skidder on Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:46 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

^^^^ Yep, most certainly - mention welding and they'll scamper :D .

It has been mentioned on Aufalcon and FF that you don't need to change the master cyl.
There are a few differences on primary/secondary piston capacities, and most significant, split points - particularly with wagons.
Probably not noticeable with moderate braking, but might be significant with hard/emergency stops.

A guy on FF noted that you need a 3mm spacer plate for REAR brakes to swap pre AUII calipers to AUII units. But from what I can find, the only difference in the rear is thicker discs (around 5.5mm)- so a caliper change isn't necessary - as the FF guy says too.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Sort by  
 Page 12 of 41  [ 603 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 41  Next