Fordmods Logo

Machining stub axles- BUDGET BIG BRAKE BUILD . BRAKES ON 

Page 13 of 41 [ 603 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 41  Next

Post subject: Re: Machining stub axles
Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

Yeah, one of my friends did a K frame change and was no hope of getting it engineered.

It sucks but not really avoidable as there is a good basis for making it hard to engineer changes - if you crash and hit someone they want to sue (particularly for injuries), if you have it engineered and that part was the cause of the accident the insurance company won't want to take responsibility, obviously you won't either, so ends up being the person who signed off and said it was safe to use. Luckily they have PI insurance, but then their premiums go through the roof and depending how negligent they were can be up for fines/losing ability to do roadworthy's. Gotta love today's society :roll:

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL xr6

VIC, Australia

what happens if lets say you you do this mod and not get it engineered then cop a canary for lets say bald tyres and some other random crap, so then you need a road worthy if this passes road worthy and the inspector doesnt notice it does it make it legal? i mean whats stopping some oe from saying i bought the car like that and thats how the insurance company covered it. i dont see why this wouldnt be some sort of a loop hole?

EL xr6,standard a** au motor,hi-tech headers, 2 1/2inch red back,,Tikky kitted and wingless,Black GT-P's,on ultra lows and still too high

My Build: the-garage-f53/daniels-el-xr6-build-t100586.html

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

No. There are no loopholes.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL xr6

VIC, Australia

fair enough

EL xr6,standard a** au motor,hi-tech headers, 2 1/2inch red back,,Tikky kitted and wingless,Black GT-P's,on ultra lows and still too high

My Build: the-garage-f53/daniels-el-xr6-build-t100586.html

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:35 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

the main issue would be depending on the type of accident, a side scrape or someone runs up your a** or a car park bump it wouldnt be an issue,
but a accident or a fatality caused directly by or claimed to be brake failure would cause a intense investigation...

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

My mates brother said he knows as engineer I could go to .
I just would just hate paying $500 for him to come out have a look an say "yup that's fine ". It would be good seeing its legal.
Heard a few stories where that happens . I guess it's like insurance , you never have an accident your whole life and you payed all that money for nothing , but if you do you'll be covered .

It's still early stages anyway . When I actually get the kit on and working I'll sort out the engineering side .
The bracket is the hardest part , eveything as to be spot on . It had to he a certain thickness so it's sits in the middle of the rotor , then the holes I the upright have to be in the correct spot so the inside of the caliper clears the top of the rotor .

Giving to my mate today for the machining , hopefully when I get uprights back the caliper goes through the bottom bolt and the caliper sits nice on the rotor .

Still have to get the nut and cap . It's hard turning it upside down , trying to keep it altogether .

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

When it comes to insurance the problem doesn't have to be directly connected to a 'non claim' type modification. i.e. people having accidents in broad bright daylight and having 'illegal' window tint and denied claim where it could have only helped in my opinion. many other examples. Like big brakes and being involved in rear end collisions etc.

The point is if you want it to be legal it will probably have to be engineered. At the end of the day it's the end users responsibility to ensure roadworthyness so as far as I can see it's not the OP's problem if it will be street legal or not, just appropriately stated so if anything.

The reason rules are so harsh nowadays is due to litigation and people who won't wear blame when they are at fault. Same reason the 'lebo back' has ruined workers compensation. If you own the car you own the responsibility of keeping it roadworthy, at least that's how it used to be.

Bottom line is keep at it. I think it's viable.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Last edited by low_ryda on Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

When the engineer says "yep it's ok", they will write up a report saying that it's OK. That is what is worth the money. That report says it's good enough to be in compliance with the rules of how car's are built & modified. That report says it's safe enough to use on a public road.......

That report is also your ticket to your insurance paying up in the event of an accident, or saying sorry that mod isn't engineered so we technically should not have covered the vehicle, we won't pay up.

Once you have an adapter made up & it all fits together, go pay the consult fee for that engineer, speak with him/her. Show what you have done, then ask what materials, bolts & so on they require you to use so they can engineer it. Then get the items made from those materials.

This really shouldn't be hard to engineer, as the calipers & rotors you are using are off the shelf items which are already adr compliant if ever used on a car here or made by DBA & PBR here. If you also use off the shelf bearings, brake lines, brake pads, there is only really a couple of things the engineer has to look at:

Modified stub axel - not weakened by correct material removal
    Hub material
    Bracket material
    Bracket mounting hardware (bolts)

Keep at it man, if you have to get it engineered, put together a couple of kits & spread the cost of that around those kits, they will still work out to be cheap brake upgrades!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I probably will get them engineered , if I can easily then I may think about making and selling the kits .
But if I don't make a profit then there's no point is there ?

I'll figure it out later , only early stages now

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
    Modified stub axle - not weakened by correct material removal
    Hub material
    Bracket material

This. It's what is holding me up. Well, the stub axle is right now, as it is a requirement to have them crack tested, which is where my stuff is failing at this point in time. I'm also aiming for ADR compliance, which is a BIG hurdle to face.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:25 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

67RCE wrote:
ToranaGuy wrote:
    Hub material
    Bracket material

This. It's what is holding me up. Well, the stub axle is right now, as it is a requirement to have them crack tested, which is where my stuff is failing at this point in time. I'm also aiming for ADR compliance, which is a BIG hurdle to face.

it makes me wonder if racebrakes and upc actuall crack test there uprights???

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
67RCE wrote:
ToranaGuy wrote:
    Hub material
    Bracket material

it makes me wonder if racebrakes and upc actuall crack test there uprights???

I'm not game to pull my uprights off and crack test them just incase. I'm getting minor cracks caused by casting issues, or so it seems to be. My engineer is quite willing to assist in getting these ADR approved, but that requires significant work. Something I'm doing for my own benefit legally, as I want to have my a*** covered for ANY issue that happens in the future.

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

i reckon they dont test them . i know someone who works at bluescope doing NDT when mine are all machined could probably get them tested for free . then get a report to show engineer

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

not much to update on, getting the uprights back this Friday, fingers crossed.
just had a thought, if i run into the issue where the rotor doesn't clear the caliper. i can use BF rotors, which are 322mm as where im using a 329mm rotor. my fault, but its hard to get the correct measurement when the rotor is on.

first one i maked may be out a few mm, but the second hole i got a small electrode dabbed it in paint, bent it the stuck it through the caliper bracket hole.

i can also get 355mm rotors for $350 a pair. think ill stick with the 329mm rotors first lol

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Uprights are machined , now need to make a bracket

Attachments:
IMAG0003-1-1.jpg
IMAG0003-1-1.jpg [ 401.95 KiB | Viewed 215 times ]

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Sort by  
 Page 13 of 41  [ 603 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 41  Next