Fordmods Logo

Machining stub axles- BUDGET BIG BRAKE BUILD . BRAKES ON 

Page 25 of 41 [ 603 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 41  Next

Post subject: Re: Machining stub axles- BUDGET BIG BRAKE BUILD . BRAKES ON
Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

I'll see how it goes after I trim the shims , the clearance between the side of the rotor and anchor plate is 3 mm on both sides top of rotor is around 1-2 mm

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:07 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

ef_falcon_95 wrote:
Thanks for the info ToranaGuy .

The brakes are getting better now they have bedded in more . Au2 master cylinder would be something to look into..

You will need to fit an AUII Booster as well. The AUII Master Cylinder does not work well with an EF/EL Booster.

Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

SWC wrote:
ef_falcon_95 wrote:

The brakes are getting better now they have bedded in more . Au2 master cylinder would be something to look into..

You will need to fit an AUII Booster as well. The AUII Master Cylinder does not work well with an EF/EL Booster.

Yeah someone was saying the bolt holes dont line up ? I'll need to also use au2 brake lines or get adapator fittings . Seeing as the theads a JIC I'll stick with the el lines and use fittings .

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:18 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

ef_falcon_95 wrote:
SWC wrote:
ef_falcon_95 wrote:

Yeah someone was saying the bolt holes dont line up ? I'll need to also use au2 brake lines or get adapator fittings . Seeing as the theads a JIC I'll stick with the el lines and use fittings .

Master Cylinder will bolt up but the rod on the Booster is diferent to the EF/EL, needs the AUII to match with. AUII Booster needs 4 holes to bolt up, very much like the EB/ED Boosters. Only the EF/EL AUI were 2 bolt.

Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:50 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

SWC wrote:
ef_falcon_95 wrote:
SWC wrote:
ef_falcon_95 wrote:

Master Cylinder will bolt up but the rod on the Booster is diferent to the EF/EL, needs the AUII to match with. AUII Booster needs 4 holes to bolt up, very much like the EB/ED Boosters. Only the EF/EL AUI were 2 bolt.

actually the bolts holes on the au master cyl are wider/further apart than the e series and wont bolt up, i was going to try the au one on my booster and it was not going to fit... but as a unit the booster and master cyl can be made to fit...

Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:22 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

AUII master will bolt up as mentioned to an EF/EL booster. The AUII snout is about 4mm longer, but the EF/EL booster recess is deep enough for it to fit. The EF/EL master cyl has a deeper recess for the booster pushrod than the AUII, so you'll need to adjust in the screw at the pushrod end. A bit of depth measuring should see you have it sorted.
Check at a brake place, but I'd think you'd need to adjust it to have a slight gap with the piston at rest. Brakeline fittings look the same.
The EF/EL piston stroke is about 2-3mm longer than the AU, but I'd doubt that it would provide an issue. Boosters seem to all be 230mm single diaphragm, so I'd think there'd wouldn't be any assistance differences.
Correct me if I'm wrong . . . .

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Isn't the au2 brake booster twin diaphragm , therefore better than el single diaphragm ?
Tomorrow I'll be swapping rotors so the slots face to the rear , so who knows it might brake a lot better then ?

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:35 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
AUII master will bolt up as mentioned to an EF/EL booster. The AUII snout is about 4mm longer, but the EF/EL booster recess is deep enough for it to fit. The EF/EL master cyl has a deeper recess for the booster pushrod than the AUII, so you'll need to adjust in the screw at the pushrod end. A bit of depth measuring should see you have it sorted.
Check at a brake place, but I'd think you'd need to adjust it to have a slight gap with the piston at rest. Brakeline fittings look the same.
The EF/EL piston stroke is about 2-3mm longer than the AU, but I'd doubt that it would provide an issue. Boosters seem to all be 230mm single diaphragm, so I'd think there'd wouldn't be any assistance differences.
Correct me if I'm wrong . . . .

without getting to far into it, if the au2 master fits e series booster as mentioned, wtf is on our au? it wont bolt up to my ed booster, there is about 20mm diference in bolt spacing...

Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Is there a difference between the boxcar and EF/EL master cylinder bolt spacings?

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:29 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

ef_falcon_95 wrote:
Isn't the au2 brake booster twin diaphragm , therefore better than el single diaphragm ?
Why don't you 'Ask Papa Smurf' ?? Be good to know for sure.
TROYMAN wrote:
without getting to far into it, if the au2 master fits e series booster as mentioned, wtf is on our au? it wont bolt up to my ed booster, there is about 20mm diference in bolt spacing...
I'll check the other AUII master I have, but I'm assuming I'll find the same.
BenJ wrote:
Is there a difference between the boxcar and EF/EL master cylinder bolt spacings?BenJ
Beats me - EF/EL master holes centre to centre are 90mm in a straight line.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

According to this au2 brake booster is twin diaphragm

gearbox-suspension-brake-driveline-f4/au-brake-booster-into-e-series-upgrade-t76571.html

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:35 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Good pickup.
Ash's comments in that thread are consistent with what I said about pushrod lengths.

Might have to investigate feasibility of swapping booster internals - mainly for convenience of running EF/EL booster body.

Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I would rather the au2 booster because its metal , I've had the plastic ones crack and its not the best thing when your going down jamberoo pass and have to the hand brake to slow down lol

Anyway my stickers finally came .

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:18 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

ef_falcon_95 wrote:
I would rather the au2 booster because its metal , I've had the plastic ones crack and its not the best thing when your going down jamberoo pass and have to the hand brake to slow down lol
Yeah, I meant for my use - I'd think changing internals is not a popular option, provided it's possible that is.
Yeah, I'm aware of the issues with plastic, but I've never had any issues TBH.

Manual transmissions make good brakes also - especially down steep hills.

Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Found out why the shim was rubbing on the rotor , it wasn't the rotor moving it was the shim sliding . I still trimmed it down and bent the tabs over so it couldnt move , that should fix it.

Swapped the rotors over and twisted the brake lines so they don't touch anything and sit up high

,, Image

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Sort by  
 Page 25 of 41  [ 603 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 41  Next