Machining stub axles- BUDGET BIG BRAKE BUILD . BRAKES ON 

Page 1 of 41 [ 603 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 41  Next

Post subject: Machining stub axles- BUDGET BIG BRAKE BUILD . BRAKES ON
Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

Can el stub axles be machined to suit a au2 hub ? I don't see why not as long as the el stub axle is bigger than the au stub axle. Then I could buy these cheap as au te50 330mm rotors then make up a bracket to suit a au2 twin caliper .

Or

I have also contacted a machine shop and they said they can make me a custom hub . So I get a hub made to fit on my stub axle which will fit the te50 rotor.
What would be offset be ? I suppose I can tell them what offset I want .
If the machining is over $1000 I'm not going to worry about it .

Thoughts?

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Last edited by ef_falcon_95 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Machining stub axles
Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

AU stub axle is completely different to an EL one.
Go visit a wrecking yard, and have a look for yourself, and you will get an eyeful of what is what, and see with your very own eyes......there's nothing like eyeing it for yourself.
You will see how an EL wheel will fit an AU, but sticks out the guards a bit, and how an AU wheel will NOT fit an EL.....and then you will see whats going on......and study the brakes and caliper mounting points, and the slight differences in the calipers too.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:52 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

ef_falcon_95 wrote:
Can el stub axles be machined to suit a au2 hub ? I don't see why not as long as the el stub axle is bigger than the au stub axle. Then I could buy these cheap as au te50 330mm rotors then make up a bracket to suit a au2 twin caliper .

Or

I have also contacted a machine shop and they said they can make me a custom hub . So I get a hub made to fit on my stub axle which will fit the te50 rotor.
What would be offset be ? I suppose I can tell them what offset I want .
If the machining is over $1000 I'm not going to worry about it .

Thoughts?

I can lend you 2 TE50 rotors if you want.. I do need them back eventually. But just let me know.

Dave

I have a car.

Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Thanks Dave I'll get Back to you on that when I decide what to do .
I plan on going to a wreckers and getting measurements of el and au stub axles .

Basically have came up with these solutions

1 . Machine el stub to fit au hub and te50 rotor

2. Machine custom hub to fit on el stub which will suit a te50 rotor

3. Machine down el rotor which will give me a hub, then make up at hat to mount te50 rotor to hub.

Going to draw up a few sketches of each option and give them to a machine shop .

Then depending I price I'll go with one .

Going with a au2 caliper which shouldn't be too hard to mount with a custom bracket .

Is there any brake upgrade kit that has the stub axle machined ? Or do most make a custom hub ?

Trying to keep pre au offset .

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

If your going to be putting the time and money into doing this Corey I reckon you are better off using a BF caliper. Cheap as chips , available anywhere and they take an 11mm bigger disc then an AU2 one.
If you can pull this off and make a kit that will actually work at a reasonable cost you will have people lined up at your place wanting one.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

EVL098 wrote:
If your going to be putting the time and money into doing this Corey I reckon you are better off using a BF caliper. Cheap as chips , available anywhere and they take an 11mm bigger disc then an AU2 one.
If you can pull this off and make a kit that will actually work at a reasonable cost you will have people lined up at your place wanting one.

Reason Im going with te50 rotor is they are cheap as chips . $137 a pair in eBay . And a au 2 caliper is cheap aswell .

If I go with a BF caliper will I be able to use a te50 rotor ? Or will I have to use a bf 330mm rotor

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

BF 322mm rotor and caliper would be the way to go .
Both are cheap to purchase . Just need to sort out a custom hub to get them onto a e series .

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:32 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

NSW, Australia

TE50 rotor is 330mm, you can actually use a VS commodore caliper or Corvette C2 caliper. VS caliper needs to be the big variety though, same as whats on senators and the like.

I have a car.

Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

It all sounds easy but it isn't. I'm going through it trying to machine the stub axle to allow larger rotors yet not crack. On the 8th set trying to get it sorted to release my kit.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:46 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

NSW, Australia

67RCE wrote:
It all sounds easy but it isn't. I'm going through it trying to machine the stub axle to allow larger rotors yet not crack. On the 8th set trying to get it sorted to release my kit.

And you have been trying this for how long now as well Brett? I am happy to lend a few bits everynow and then to help guys like Corey along, But I know its certainly not an easy task either of you is trying to undertake.

I have a car.

Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

dc_todd wrote:
TE50 rotor is 330mm, you can actually use a VS commodore caliper or Corvette C2 caliper. VS caliper needs to be the big variety though, same as whats on senators and the like.

Do you mean C4 caliper ?

C4 caliper is the same a el gt caliper , TE50 caliper , vn ss caliper , AU2 caliper and corvette

I know it seems easy to type but if getting 2 hubs custom made to fit on a el stub axle which will suit AU -BF rotor, is fairly cheap then I'm half way there . Just have to mount a caliper .

Does the bf caliper has a larger surface area than AU ??

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:59 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

NSW, Australia

Yeah C4.. my bad.

I have a car.

Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:00 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

NSW, Australia

Buy an AU S II onwards, the world of brake upgrades is plentiful. or convert your front end the AU II onwards. Option and decisions.

I have a car.

Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Well either going with a bf xr8 322mm rotor and bf caliper or te50 330mm rotor and au2 caliper .both I can get pretty cheap .
Which will be the better combo?

I'll make up a few drawings, talk to machine shops and hopefully get custom hubs made up in e-series off set .
Then cut off the "ears" on the uprights , grind flat . Drill and tap holes , Make up a bracket to mount caliper

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

dc_todd wrote:
Buy an AU S II onwards, the world of brake upgrades is plentiful. or convert your front end the AU II onwards. Option and decisions.

Wouldnt buy a AU, and au front end conversion would be a big job . Just for brakes lol

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 41  [ 603 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 41  Next