Fordmods Logo

Nankang tyres 

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:07 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

sound like the tyre is out of round.. it will still balance up correctly, but get a bit of speed into it and it vibrates.. I know a guy who had a set on his Clubby, same issue, but it was a new car and knew that it had to be the tyre. turns out the tyre was slightly egg shaped but enough to get a vibration.. how much weight did they use to balance the wheel? also in the shop they only spin the wheel to about 20km/h or so as well. get em to redo it, and take em for the first run init to make sure the issue is solved.. my money says there is a tyre out of round somewhere.. You have an egg..

I have a car.

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:37 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

everyone seems to love Nankang's. WE've got them on our work BA (245/40 R19) or it might be 35R19 not sure, and theyre the noisiest tyre ive dealt with in a long time. Not real crash hot in the wet either

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 34 images

Ride: BF MK11 XR 6 TURBO ZF 6spd

Power: 225 rwkw

NSW, Australia

ive had nankangs and found them alright when driving sensebly...

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EL XR6

VIC, Australia

Hey guys,

when i was buying my el gt copies - i was getting prices and one of the prices was with nankings!! i spoke to my mechanic - and they said they just cheapand nasty's - in hte dry good - but in the wet average - so i went with Marshall's! they are fantastic good alround tyre, and they are about 17- a tyre - when i priced them!!

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EL XR6

VIC, Australia

170 a tyre sorry left out the 0

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:36 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: XF Wagon

VIC, Australia

G'day

Ok i have been to the tyre factory on monday morning and had all 4 wheels off the car. They balanced up all four wheels and put the front to the back and back to the front.
Down the eastern freeway i go, still shaking at 100kays. I went back to the tyre factory only to be told that its not the wheels its something else on the car. They said that it could be the tail shaft.
Its not the tail shaft cause its been balanced less than a month ago and when i put it back on the car the vibration hadn't changed.

So, i rang widetread in lilydale cause i had a wheel alignment last monday and now the camber bolts have slipped. I told them my issues with the tyres and they said they would take a look when i brought the car down.

I get there this arvo and they looked at the wheels first. They said that both the fronts were out by a mile. I believed what they said cause i watched them do it. The problem is that they do the balance differently to the tyre factory.
They tried to balance them the best way they could. I dont know what its doing as yet cause i haven't had a chance to drive it at 100.

Before they tried to balance them up myself and the chief tyre dude watched the rim and tyre. It appears that the rim is fairly close to being perfect. The tyre however looked all over the place. It appeared to go up down while it was going around.

When i got home i took the wheel off the car and put it on a jig i made for my drop spindles and new brakes. I spun the wheel up and my father and i watched intently. The tyre definitly goes up and down but it also seems that the edge of the wheel where it meets the tyre moves around aswell. I rang the tyre factory and they claim that this is normal for any wheel.

So now i'm stuck. All 4 wheels make the vibration on the front. 2 appear to be an oval shape and the wheel rims (where it meets the tyre) appear to move around aswell instead of being a perfect circle.

I went back to widetread and got them to take the 2 front tyres off the rims and spin them on the balancer. The are slightly out but they said that this is in the tolerance for any wheel. They now think that its the tyre.

What should i do? Go and get 2 new tyres fitted and put them on and see if they do the same thing? or should i sell the wheels without the tyres? The tyres can go in the bin. Ive spent enough money on getting them balanced to do nothing. If i get 2 new tyres i can take them off and put them on the next set of wheels anyway.

What do you guys make of all that.

Cheers

If its too loud your too old!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:06 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EBII XR6 /ED XR6 /EF XR6

Power: 154 rwkw

QLD, Australia

so your problem as it sounds is that the tyre has not seated properly on your rim. it is quite normal for this but if it is causing a vibration your local tyer bloke should be able to break the bead and apply plenty of lube and get the tyre to seat properly and then balance them, and this will tell you once and for all if it is your tyres. but instead of balancing them today when they dicovered this problem they should have done it then especially if you told them it has been a problem.

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:37 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

G'day

OK back to the tyre factory for some new tyres. They spun up the wheels with the nankangs on and we watched the tyres. Both fronts went up and down.
They took the tyres off the 2 front wheels and spun them up. Both wheels appear to run out of round. The bead where the tyre sits on both wheels moves up and down to match the tyre. So we decided that it probably wasn't the tyre but the wheels.
We put new toyo tyres on the 2 wheels. Balanced them up and i went for a drive. Sure enough the vibration through the floor is still there.

I went back and told them what went on. They weren't surprised. The deal is now that they are getting another set of ssa 17" wheels and fitting the original nankang tyres to them. I'll take them for a drive and see what happens. If it drives fine then ive found the problem, its the wheels. If not and it still does it, ive got to look else where. Maybe the shaft hasn't been balanced they way they said it had been done.

If its proved to be the wheels i should be able to get some sought of warranty. Which will be a good thing.

Cheers

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Both rims out of whack sounds funny! but I guess stranger things have happened...

On a semi-related note, how much are you guys paying for the NS2's ?

ImageImage

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

interesting story Pane ... at least the tyre guys are helping you investigate this one. Keep the story coming!!!

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:09 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Ed falcon

NSW, Australia

I paid 127 a tyre for 235/45/17 2 weeks ago

Neil

HSV I JUST BEAT ONE !

AFF 05 NSW DYNO DAY STATE CHAMP

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:50 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

Where? Tempe tyres?

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:57 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

G'day

Another fun afternoon at the tyre factory!!!!!!!!!

Turned up this arvo to try the new set of wheels. They had already put the old nankangs on the ssa 17" 5 spoke things. Before they put them on the car i got them to spin em on the balancer. The drivers side had a slight bump on the inside of the tyre and so did the passenger. The wheels however are perfectly round with no visible movement. We put the reason for the bump on the inside down to the uneven tyre wear casued by the rooted mayhems.

The owner of the franchise this time is getting stressed (rightly so) so he wanted his mechanic to come with me. The mechanic turned up and asked all the same questions as every one else. We went for a drive (he drove) down the eastern freeway. The vibration was nowhere to be found at 100kays, by 105 there was a slight vibration, at 110 the vibration was as bad as the mayhems when they were at 95. At 115 it was the same, same at 120 and same at 125. The mechanic put the vibration down to the uneven tyre where as did the 2 tyre fitters.

When we got back to the tyre factory the head bloke spoke to the mechanic. The mechanic told him the same thing he told me. So now the head bloke rings up the supplier and has a discussion with him. He told him the story so far. The supplier rattled out all the other things he could think of what would cause the problem. In the end the decision was that all 4 wheels need to return to the surplier for them to check.

So now i'm about to buy 3 au xr8 copys from ftgautosalvage and put 2 on the front and run stockies on the back until i get an answer from the tyre factory.

So afterall its the wheels and not the car or the nankang tyres. So ive decided that nankangs arn't as bad as i thought and probably are very good for there price. I must say that after driving home from the tyre factory in the wet last night the toyo tyres are great. The nankang tyres used to understeer something shocking in the wet but the toyos didn't do it at all.

I'll let you know what happens with the supplier.

Cheers

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:07 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Ed falcon

NSW, Australia

No Jax's tyre's next to my work :)

Neil

HSV I JUST BEAT ONE !

AFF 05 NSW DYNO DAY STATE CHAMP

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Oettinger Golf GTI

NSW, Australia

xpression wrote:
everyone seems to love Nankang's. WE've got them on our work BA (245/40 R19) or it might be 35R19 not sure, and theyre the noisiest tyre ive dealt with in a long time. Not real crash hot in the wet either

i agree! they are 'good value for money' cheapo on the low profile for 17-19" tyres. i personally dont like them, i'd rather go second hand that last the same and actually hold the road. good value for money and dont wear out as uneven as a falken, but for a lil more u can get kumho's or silverstones which i think are much better imo!

currently i have bridgestone 245/40/18s on front and pzero 265/35/18s on the rear, all bald now and i still held fine around thru the last cruise without a problem! lol

--

toyo, kumho, silverstone are great for cheaper tyres, from there u go wanli, falken and nankang.. comes down to money i spose. but also a cheaper tyre weighs more as well. i think some falken was 13kg for eg to a pirelli pzero at 9kg in weight ..

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next