Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Problems
Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: falcon V8

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Ok i have a EL gli, it was a i6 auto with the standerd 3.08 diff, now this is where i've run in to problems, I've changed it to a V8 manual with a 3.45lsd diff.

The first problem is only a small one but i think it's related to the second problem, when slowing down i seem to have a knock/bump comming from the rear left wheel, it dosn't seem to be a bearing knock but it is hard enuff to hear and feel when you know when it's going to happen.

Second problem. One I've never had before, on the odd ocation i don't mind lighting them up on take off, but since all the changes I'm getting axel tramp/bunny hopping from the left, now it might be happing on the right as well but me being a fat prick it's sticking to the ground and isn't as noticable.

we did re-use the xr's control arms and the alloy tail shaft when swaping it over, the Xr was a EF would this be the problem? and that i need a El xr control arms?

Any help would be great.

Thanks Sean.

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

WA, Australia

EF and EL suspension is different in some way. There was an improvement so going backwards with these models suspension is not the best idea. Probably was control arms. ELs had a little less oversteer/understeer than the EFs, again I'm not sure which. I would try and get some EL control arms. Take it to a suspension place and get them to check everything over for free or maybe a small fee.

Axle tramp can be overcome by harder shocks/springs better leaf springs I dont know which one but its one of those.

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Post subject: Re: Problems
Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 98 DL LTD | 71 XY

WA, Australia

ovo616 wrote:
Ok i have a EL gli, it was a i6 auto with the standerd 3.08 diff, now this is where i've run in to problems, I've changed it to a V8 manual with a 3.45lsd diff.

The first problem is only a small one but i think it's related to the second problem, when slowing down i seem to have a knock/bump comming from the rear left wheel, it dosn't seem to be a bearing knock but it is hard enuff to hear and feel when you know when it's going to happen.

Does it also do that knocking sound under very light feather like touches on the acelerator? Cause mine does the same... has done for the past 2 year's and i've given up trying to find where its coming from.

I've done rear bearings, even a tailshaft still no luck..

RIP Scotty
Still Doin It For Ya Mate

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:06 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA XR6T

VIC, Australia

SIM wrote:
Does it also do that knocking sound under very light feather like touches on the acelerator? Cause mine does the same... has done for the past 2 year's and i've given up trying to find where its coming from.

That sounds like backlash between the crown wheel and pinion in the diff assembly...pretty normal in a diff thats done several thousand hard Kms.

BA Mk1 XR6T Auto HgAg G&D Enhanced 232rwkw 18" ROH Strike wheels 245-40/18 Tyres
AU3 Futura Wagon I6 Auto Liquid Silver 17" BAXR6 wheels, PBR Performance brakes

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I'll get some el control arms see what that dose, It has super lows and gt shocks in it so their pretty stiff, i'll take it to a shop on saturday see what they have to say. Thanks all.

Sean.

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:02 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

The diff is an EF diff as well though isn't it ovo616?
The control arm mounting point to the vehicle would be the same EF/EL, it's the diff mounting point that's different I would have thought.
As long as the EF XR control arms are bolted to the right holes on the EF XR diff, it shouldn't make a difference, in theory?

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

ovo616 wrote:
I'll get some el control arms see what that dose, It has super lows and gt shocks in it so their pretty stiff, i'll take it to a shop on saturday see what they have to say. Thanks all.

Sean.

when you do (if hopefully) fix it, post up the results for someone else next time!!

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:38 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: Falcon EBII

SA, Australia

AU-Hog wrote:
SIM wrote:

That sounds like backlash between the crown wheel and pinion in the diff assembly...pretty normal in a diff thats done several thousand hard Kms.

I think i may have a similar knock in my diff.

Can the crown wheel be serviced at all? would a balancing correct this?

TwstdEB

EBII 4.0L GLi|XR interiors/dash|Auto|Wade 1004-12|3.45 LSD|Tickford ECU|XH Snorkel/Green Cotton filter|EA TB Intake|PH4488|RB 2.5" Zorst|DoofDoof|Gauges|Tint|KS Lows|PDW RIMs 18"|JMM Spark/leads|144+ rwkw|15.88@88.39mph|EF Mirrors|ED XR6 Spoilers F/R|EF-EL THERMOS|EF Alternator Mod|SEE PIC

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Steady Ed: Yes the diff is out of a Ef as well, so as you said in theory it should be right.

Yes when i have it fixed i will post up the fix.
dose any one have a money tree i can have???

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:28 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

ovo616 wrote:
dose any one have a money tree i can have???

Nah, but if you find one, give me some seeds!

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

SIM wrote:
ovo616 wrote:

This happened to both my ef's.
the shockie through bolt at the bottom was 1/4 of a turn loose, and under slight acceleration/deceleration it would knock. it took me ages to work out what it was.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 98 DL LTD | 71 XY

WA, Australia

smoke_rubber wrote:
This happened to both my ef's.
the shockie through bolt at the bottom was 1/4 of a turn loose, and under slight acceleration/deceleration it would knock. it took me ages to work out what it was.

Hmm I'll check it out thanks

RIP Scotty
Still Doin It For Ya Mate

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]