Fordmods Logo

Shift Kit - Do it yourself 

Page 9 of 53 [ 785 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 53  Next

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

dont worry grasshopper you will learn

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:48 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EBII Falcon & BF Falcon

WA, Australia

least u can wire yours in!
mines crappy! wat kind of EBII doesnt have pins 38 n 57...i'm being lead to believe that the early models have the tranny module from a seperate loom or something behind where the handbreak is...it best be there tomoro wen i look...plus if it is how am i to determine which wire is what :? not cool! anyone kno the colours of the wires i should be hunting?

EB2 Turbo & BF Wagon

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

cominthru wrote:
least u can wire yours in!
mines crappy! wat kind of EBII doesnt have pins 38 n 57...i'm being lead to believe that the early models have the tranny module from a seperate loom or something behind where the handbreak is...it best be there tomoro wen i look...plus if it is how am i to determine which wire is what :? not cool! anyone kno the colours of the wires i should be hunting?

Ah.. cominthru.. we meet again :)

Yes there's docos on mechanicalforums.com which show you the pins on the TCM loom. Remeber to check the resistor values (1ohm and 20ohm IIRC) and new pin numbers... pin 29 and pin 7 on the TCM...

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:17 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: FG MK 2 XR6

WA, Australia

I get mine put in the ole EF this Saturday by Bluefalc...looking forward to it. All I need now is a high stall and quicker diff. :D

Too many Fords and too much cash "invested" over the years.

New Project: Daily Cruiser, FG Mk 2 XR6 NA , headers, CAI, tuned, 238rwhp and counting.

Engine build in progress.....

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

just a quick question where abouts is the TCM located on the ea's and that (could prob search somewhere but im lazy :P )

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

shoey50 wrote:
just a quick question where abouts is the TCM located on the ea's and that (could prob search somewhere but im lazy :P )

Pretty much just above the driver's left knee, under the dash....

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

EFFALCONMAN wrote:
I get mine put in the ole EF this Saturday by Bluefalc...looking forward to it. All I need now is a high stall and quicker diff. :D

Does anyone else want a shift kit in their car as i think i will start doing them for all models (e series). I will supply and fit. PM me if interested.

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

just did my EA and EFFALCONMANS EF today and it took a bit longer than i would have liked but i couldent get the LED to work. In the EA the only difference was at full throttle in the EF it made a big difference to every change (down and up). None of the changes are jarring they are just quick and sporty so people shouldent be put off by this because they think it will be too harsh.

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:58 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Blu Falc wrote:
just did my EA and EFFALCONMANS EF today and it took a bit longer than i would have liked but i couldent get the LED to work.
What LED are you referring to ??

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

i tried wiring in a led to show when the shift kit was active.

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:00 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Blu Falc wrote:
i tried wiring in a led to show when the shift kit was active.
I'm referring to the EF/EL setup here - although I think the circuit for all the 4sp autos are similar. I found the best place to tap a wire is from the line that goes from the larger size resistor (18ohm) to the selector switch. You can connect to the switch connection itself (the ON position). You'll find this should register 12v when OFF, to around 9v when ON. If you wire a 3v light to ign power, you should find it lights up when ON, and extinguishes when switch is OFF. The globe is essentially working on voltage differential. Don't use LED's - they burn out within minutes, even though they're rated at 3.2v, don't know why either . . . :?:
You can get small 3v lamps from d**k Smith for example, I modded a bulb holder and fitted it to my modded cluster as a caption - 'SHIFT'. It works well . . . . :D

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

yer not a bad idea. i have a dpdt switch so i was trying to wire the led up to the side of the switch not being used. I have put a resistor on the LED to stop it burning out (390 ohm). I think i know how to get it to work but i havent tried yet

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:17 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yeah, I only had a SPDT switch, but a DPDT makes it even easier - as your LED will be fed 12v, you will certainly need that limiting resistor.

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

how do you think it should be wired?

Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:25 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Well, you need to feed ign 12v to the 2nd set of 3 terminals on the switch - this can be fed from the ECU line that goes to the 18/20 ohm resistor. The other line from the switch goes to your LED + resistor, then to earth. You're only using 2 of the 3 terminals, all that's needed is that it's closed when the switch is selected to ON. Normally the first set of 3 terminals are isolated from the other set of 3 (shift kit cct & led light cct), just check this is the case. Hope this makes sense . . . . :?:

Sort by  
 Page 9 of 53  [ 785 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 53  Next