Fordmods Logo

Shift Kit - Do it yourself 

Page 10 of 53 [ 785 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 53  Next

Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:44 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: FG MK 2 XR6

WA, Australia

Have had my shift kit in for a couple of days now...really impressed with the improvement on gear change when accelerating. Not a really hard shunt but it still pulls the car out at the rear from 1st - 2nd...loving it. I decided to keep it nice and discreet by using a miniature dpdt witch mounted below my wiper stalk...however this is the last time I will use one of these buggers...need kiddy fingers to solder it.

As Bluefalc said we couldn't get the LED to work, but that doesn't matter. Cheers for your patience and time on Saturday fella...I recommend Bluefalc to anyone looking at getting this done.

Killed an MR2 on the way home Saturday...should have seen the ricers face. Ha ha ha...Got to go to kwinana now.

Too many Fords and too much cash "invested" over the years.

New Project: Daily Cruiser, FG Mk 2 XR6 NA , headers, CAI, tuned, 238rwhp and counting.

Engine build in progress.....

Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Manual

VIC, Australia

Do these things really improve 1/4 mile times?

I mean an auto transmission is never really out of a gear. Unlike a manual which is not providing torque during a gearchange the auto is contantly engaged to the rear wheels, if your making the gearchange faster arn't you going to a lower ratio faster thus less torque to the wheels faster. What your really doing is shocking the drivetrain and in some cases breaking traction and thus wasting energy?

As for improved reliability I could see it if your already pumping alot of extra torque through it and now the standard calibration is out. So a faster gearchange would reduce time spent slipping clutches. But you have already buggered the durability because of the higher torque.
I think your more likely to do more damage than anything else on a stock car.

My spanner in the works!

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

today i drove the car round with the shift kit on and the trans in power mode and i could really tell it was on. When i first tested the kit i forgot to put the trans into power mode so unless my foot was planted you couldent tell if the kit was on or off. in power mode the gears are being held longer so there is more power being delivered to the wheel at the shift point and the kit becomes apperent. you dont even have to have your foot planted to get the tyres to chirp if the trans is in power mode, just use about 3/4 throttle (stock car). its a fun mod to have and if the shifts become a bit tiresom around town then just switch the trans to economy or switch the kit off.

Also as i said before I will supply and fit these kits for people in perth and for each kit i will donate to fordmods. PM me if interested

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
shoey50 wrote:
just a quick question where abouts is the TCM located on the ea's and that (could prob search somewhere but im lazy :P )

Pretty much just above the driver's left knee, under the dash....

That's about where the smartlock module is located in the later falcon's isn't it?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

people have been saying there cars chirp 2nd with the shift kit is that with stock wheels cause mine sure as hell dont chirp!! good fun in wet but :lol:

Last edited by shoey50 on Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

yes can chirp my stock 195's

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xr6t

NSW, Australia

Just built one of these kits sarvo, took me an hour and cost around $10 and very worth it. Thanks for the turorial.

Rides:
-Ba xr6t, wog cooler, K&N pod on custom intake, battery moved to other side, flash, custom cooler piping, presons auto, car pc, 19" lenso speed 6, going for 300rwkw
-FZR 250- run around bike

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:23 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF Fairmont

WA, Australia

ive still got mine sitting around that i built months ago but havent installed yet.. mite give it a go 2moro, wats the worse that can happen if ive done the internals of my kit wrong? will the trans just go into limp home mode?? and how much slack is there in the ecu wires coz last time i looked it seemed pretty tight..

<br>

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:38 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EBII Falcon & BF Falcon

WA, Australia

i kno mines still sitting around too! cant be a*** tryin to fit it now...i attempted it afew times. doesnt have pinouts for EBII, no trans modual near hand brake, and i think it has EA wiring as it has those pinouts. Used those pinouts n didnt notice a thing after fully hurtin it done some roads! on both sides of the switch too...i've given up for awhile me thinks :oops:

EB2 Turbo & BF Wagon

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:20 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL Futura

NSW, Australia

This Mod = WIN

I installed it on the EL today, thusly:

resistors, terminal blocks, wires, etc chucked in a little project box
disconnected battery
Pulled out ECU & wiring
cut wire 38 - controls the variable pressure solenoid (SOL.5 - green, just as predicted)
tap wire 57 - VPWR - plain old vehicle power (the red one - turns out I could've used 37, but meh)
soldered the 3 wires in
stuff it back together

Just took her for a spin, switch hanging free, and HOT DAMN! Goodbye lazy auto changes! :D

I was sure that I'd f**k this up somehow, but I didn't, which is a reward in itself

Anyone out there still apprehensive about this mod, don't worry - I did an ultra-bodgy job on mine, but it works!

'97 EL Futura Auto
Pacies, Wade 1636 cam

3.45LSD next

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

[self-deleted]

Last edited by blackjack_original on Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

That would be enough, if you find that it becomes too hot then you will just have to replace it but i doubt that it will cause any problems

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:42 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

ok i've started to build this thing, but i need some advice. I cant find any 10w resistors anywhere, so i had to use 4 5w resistors for each one.

will it work if i was to wire them in both series and parrallel? ie two resistors in parrallel, then join them together, then another two in parrallel, then join them.

if i was to use 5.6ohm resistors, would the total still be 5.6 ohm?

hope it makes sense
Ben

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

geez, talk about bringing back memories from high school!

if you need a 10w resistor, and only got 2 5w ones, u will need to wire them in SERIES i belive, ie, end to end,

if you were to wire then in parallel the resistance would be wrong, because the equation for parallel is like R = 1/R1 + 1/R2..

then again my memory could be wrong ;)

but i will lock in (A) thanks eddie, wire them in series.

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Gaz wrote:
geez, talk about bringing back memories from high school!

if you need a 10w resistor, and only got 2 5w ones, u will need to wire them in SERIES i belive, ie, end to end,

if you were to wire then in parallel the resistance would be wrong, because the equation for parallel is like R = 1/R1 + 1/R2..

then again my memory could be wrong ;)

but i will lock in (A) thanks eddie, wire them in series.

I think its more like... i need an 18ohm resistor but only have 2 x 9ohm resistors. Then would need to wire them in series. If you need 10w and only have 2 x 5watt then wire them parrallel - but yeah - it'll screw with the resistance value so you need to account for that.

PS you really shouldnt use 5watt resistors. It's worth holding off and getting 10w. They should have these at Jaycar. 5watt runs the risk of getting too hot!!

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Sort by  
 Page 10 of 53  [ 785 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 53  Next