Shift Kits 

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Shift Kits
Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:25 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Hanni - BA XR6T

VIC, Australia

Hey guys

Was hoping someone could explain what a shift kit is and how its differant to the eco/pwr button on the btr's?

Probably a stupid question I know but Im under the impression that a shift kit only changes when the gearbox shifts - if thats the case wouldnt that be the same as the eco/pwr button?

Sorry couldnt do a search coz im outta internet credit so im on my phone . . . .

Any help is appreciated

Cheers
Grant

Post subject: Re: Shift Kits
Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Shiftkits change the firmness between shifts whereas the economy/power button changes when the gearbox shifts into the next gear i.e power mode holds the gears longer and economy changes gears sooner.

A shiftkit will reduce the time it takes to shift between gears so it will make the shift into the next gear feel noticeably firmer/sharper. Stock BTR's have a kind of "slipping" effect between gear changes to make the shifts smooth and less noticeable for the driver - fitting a shiftkit does the opposite of that and makes shifts "snappier" and while doing so, can reduce the heat built up in the box between shifts.

That was probably a s**t explanation of it, but that's all i could come up with :lol:

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:14 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 1992 EB Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:17 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

KWIKXR wrote:
Shiftkits change the firmness between shifts whereas the economy/power button changes when the gearbox shifts into the next gear i.e power mode holds the gears longer and economy changes gears sooner.

A shiftkit will reduce the time it takes to shift between gears so it will make the shift into the next gear feel noticeably firmer/sharper. Stock BTR's have a kind of "slipping" effect between gear changes to make the shifts smooth and less noticeable for the driver - fitting a shiftkit does the opposite of that and makes shifts "snappier" and while doing so, can reduce the heat built up in the box between shifts.

That was probably a s**t explanation of it, but that's all i could come up with :lol:

Nah cheers mate that was exactly what I was looking for :D

Thanks for the help bud - heaps clearer now 8-)

Cheers
Grant

Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:19 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

maca_404 wrote:

Nah not looking at one just yet - gotta get my car goin first lol
Maybe sometime in the future now that I know what sorta differance it makes 8-)

Thanks for the link though mate - will keep it in mind

Cheers
Grant

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:47 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: turbo ef falcon

ACT, Australia

If you make your own it won't cost as much, mine cost about 12 dollars all up from jaycar. Here is a link with diagrams and instruction on how to make it. Some people put a potentiometer in there so you have a knob to give you variable adjustments but i just had a switch to turn it on and off. This might set you back another 5-8 dollars tho for the pot :P
Its a piece of piss to put together and works very well, just be cautious in the wet - even with low revs it could snap gears halfway around a corner and kick it out if you forget you have it turned on.
Here's the link
gearbox-suspension-brake-driveline-f4/shift-kit-do-it-yourself-t2378.html?hilit=home%20made%20shift%20kit

I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead. Not sick. Not wounded. Dead.

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:51 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

presto wrote:
If you make your own it won't cost as much, mine cost about 12 dollars all up from jaycar. Here is a link with diagrams and instruction on how to make it. Some people put a potentiometer in there so you have a knob to give you variable adjustments but i just had a switch to turn it on and off. This might set you back another 5-8 dollars tho for the pot :P
Its a piece of piss to put together and works very well, just be cautious in the wet - even with low revs it could snap gears halfway around a corner and kick it out if you forget you have it turned on.
Here's the link
gearbox-suspension-brake-driveline-f4/shift-kit-do-it-yourself-t2378.html?hilit=home%20made%20shift%20kit

Ah s**t hot thanks mate 8-)

Hell of alot better that payin $100 give or take - rather make my own :D

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:09 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EFII Fairmont XR8

TAS, Australia

Couple of points:

1.As yours is an V8, there have not been many if any people that i know of that have made shift kits (the DIY method) last time i checked.

You may have to be the guinea pig.

2. Research reliability. I admit I know little on the topic, but some say it is a gearbox killer. The boxes are simply not designed to shift with this speed/force. You could be left a couple of G's out of pocket if your gearbox goes bang.

This alone has prevented me from looking further into shift kits.

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:11 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: AUII XR8 ute

VIC, Australia

i6_demon wrote:
presto wrote:
Here's the link

Ah s**t hot thanks mate 8-)

Hell of alot better that payin $100 give or take - rather make my own :D

I made diagrams for adjustable ones, dunno if I have the ef v8 one though because you need to hook up the tcm and its still a grey area, can check tomorrow if youd like. Costs a bit more and a bit more wiring and space is needed but worth it for adjustable. Pretty sure those ones in that thread wont work for a v8

How many bears could Bear Grylls grill if Bear Grylls could grill bears?

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:16 pm 
Technical Contributor

VIC, Australia

thepistonhead wrote:
Couple of points:

1.As yours is an V8, there have not been many if any people that i know of that have made shift kits (the DIY method) last time i checked.

You may have to be the guinea pig.

2. Research reliability. I admit I know little on the topic, but some say it is a gearbox killer. The boxes are simply not designed to shift with this speed/force. You could be left a couple of G's out of pocket if your gearbox goes bang.

This alone has prevented me from looking further into shift kits.

There has been one, a brave soul that took the info I gave him and experimented with different resistors until he found it. I can definately tell you the pin numbers at least though if I cant find the thread but should be able to. Dont remember if it was a v8 though

Some say that, you get these naysayers, and they come and they say nay. I dont think there is any harm to be done to the box, my AU has adaptive shift and it shift harder sometimes then the shiftkit in my eb and ef did, so much so Ive got belt slip on a few occasions, if ford did it, it must be able to handle it. Gearbox will be safe (dont hold me reposnible though). However, if my belt didnt slip those few times I reckon an engine mount or worse could have happened. As usual, keep it under control and you'll be OK

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:16 pm 
Technical Contributor

VIC, Australia

double post

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:21 pm 
Stock as a Rock

ACT, Australia

93_eb_fairmont wrote:
There has been one, a brave soul that took the info I gave him and experimented with different resistors until he found it. I can definately tell you the pin numbers at least though if I cant find the thread but should be able to. Dont remember if it was a v8 though

sorry i read his name as i6 demon and assumed, didnt check his ride was a v8 tho.
here is the link to the v8 shift kit.. boy did he get involved working this out! good to see you guys putting heads together to come up with a solution, well done to you and wrexed03

ecu-fuel-system-eec-f21/here-it-is-v8-shift-kit-diagram-t86963.html?hilit=shift%20kit%20v8%20shift%20kit&start=20/

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:28 pm 
Technical Contributor

VIC, Australia

presto wrote:
93_eb_fairmont wrote:

sorry i read his name as i6 demon and assumed, didnt check his ride was a v8 tho.
here is the link to the v8 shift kit.. boy did he get involved working this out! good to see you guys putting heads together to come up with a solution, well done to you and wrexed03

ecu-fuel-system-eec-f21/here-it-is-v8-shift-kit-diagram-t86963.html?hilit=shift%20kit%20v8%20shift%20kit&start=20/

Yeah, he's a champ, personally I wouldnt have gone to that length to get it working but fordmods is based on ingenuity and its great he did. Ive been saying it for months, but soon I will compile all my diagrams, along with that one, and come up with diagrams for dual stage kits aswell. Just a time/motivation thing at the moment, I dont really have either.

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

ACT, Australia

im sure alot of people look forward to it, should save alot of searching and repeat questions :)

judging by your signature tho, it looks like you have more intense things to get on with than squiggle up some diagrams... :shock:

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Ther was a guy I new from Oberon in a ed xr8 who gave his car a shift kit and it worked very well. I was about talked into the same mod for my ef but then he had some family probs and moved away before I could find out more. Must admit his car was fun to drive.

ef fairmont ghia 5.0L
classy cruiser

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next