Some suspension issues 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Some suspension issues
Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

Hi all, very soon i will be upgrading my suspension setup on the xr, as its so uncomfortable driving on a even slight bad road every bump and dent in the ground is exaggerated and it hurts :x

Now i have no idea on springs and shocks etc so if anyone has some good suggestions of what i can do it would be appreciated. My car is on super low springs at the front and lows on the back, looks very nice, and want to keep it at that height but is their some way i can make the car handle and drive like a cloud on wheels and not a brick.

Cheers
Andrew

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Post subject: Re: Some suspension issues
Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:54 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU VCT,68 LANE,84 COURIER,

QLD, Australia

try the lowest e series v8 spring you can get and put it with a good short travel shock like boge with hard bump stops,replace all your after market bushes with normal rubber ones and run the manufactures advised tyre pressure. In the rear its going to be rugged because of the bump stop take it out or live with the hard bump in the back.

YOU CAN LIVE IN A CAR BUT YOU CANT DRIVE A HOUSE

Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

How much are you looking at spending on the suspension upgrade? If its just a low budget upgrade id get new shortened shocks all round, like Boge or something similar. Boge shocks seem to do the job very nicely as most people using them have found. If you like the ride height, just keep the springs you have already in it as long as they are still in good shape unless you wanna replace everything and start from sctrach.

If you're looking at spending quite a bit on suspension and want a real good quality ride, id be getting bilstein shocks all round, awesome ride quality and handle very well. But they will take their toll on the wallet :lol:. Also maybe upgrade to larger sway bars from whiteline

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Well i will most likely be spending any where between $1200-1800 and that includes nolathane bushes. i want to keep the car at the same height, so im probably going to go with a real heavy duty shock that still performs really well. The sway bars i have now are aftermarket, and are better than the factory ones.

How much do shocks cost these days, and if i get new shocks will i have to get new springs as well? As i wouldn't have a clue if 1200+ is low budget or not :lol:

Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:54 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU111 XR6 VCT Supercharged

QLD, Australia

XRFan101, Nolathane bushes are known to be some of the hardest you can get. Great for stiffening all the suspension components and making them work, but shocking for ride comfort. Standard bushes would be the most comfortable, and superpro (blue colour - from fulcrum or similar) are a great aftermarket upgrade which are not as hard as nolathane. I have superpro throughout my AU....firm up everything, but not overly harsh.

You can keep the springs you've got. $1200+ is plenty. If you shop around you should be able to get bilsteins for that price, which are the best you'll find in a shock.

FOR SALE! - Supercharged AUIII XR6 VCT, intercooled, T5, big brakes.... details in the 'For Sale' section - ford-parts-for-sale-f17/fs-supercharged-au-xr6-vct-series-iii-intercooled-rwc-rego-t114254.html

Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Okay sweet thanks for the info, i would have thought nolathane bushes would have made the ride comfort better as well as performance, but i guess its wishful thinking to get both :roll:

Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Yeah i would have to agree with that, nolathane bushes are pretty good for firming up the suspension but they have a terrible squeak everytime you drive over a rough patches in the road. So it is a bit of a trade off in the end. I dont mind suspension being firm as long as it handles well and looks good, but that squeak is very annoying. Probably just have to grease the nolathane bushes a bit. I speak from experience :lol: either get new standard bushes or those SuperPro ones like JoeXR6 said.

Your budget is pretty good though, most people dont usually spend that much on their suspension setup, usually spending below 1k. With your budget you could get easily get a good set of suitable shocks all round, keep your current springs aswell as new bushes and still have a fair bit left over to spend on other things.

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

If you have no idea of the suspension setup apart from the superlow springs i would be making sure that you have shortened shocks for starters. It may be as simple as your virtually running on the bump stops which will give you almost no suspension travel and a hard ride.

Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Yeah ill have to get it checked out i guess, i just need to find a decent place to get everything done at, i dont really trust any places down here lol. Might go up to Adelaide and have a look around.

Thanks for all the advice :)

Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

SA, Australia

Short stroke shocks (Pedders short strokes have a lower spring seat height) with low's.
height is about the same as super lows with normal shocks.

Member Number 8804

Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Okay sweet i think i will start looking at shocks and prices and when ive found what im looking for ill post up link etc, just to make sure im on the right track.

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I went on the KYB shocks website and they have a performance shock which looks exactly what im after its a Street/track/comfort multi set shock which is completely adjustable. i might look into it and see what they are like as far as ride quality goes as well.

As i still what good handling and performance, but i dont want to go over every bump and loose my head through the roof. :roll:

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:00 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU111 XR6 VCT Supercharged

QLD, Australia

I hate to put a damper on things, but KYB are also known as good budget but very firm shocks. I enquired with several suspension joints about them, as I also was interested in the adjustables for the money....all said that they are quite harsh and not suited to the larger australian cars, but more so for the lightweight japanese cars. I had a set of KYB's put in my wife's lancer last week (with standard springs), and they work great in that.

Boge are recommended as value for money. I went with 'Durashock' from 'Driveline Services'. I know there are a few of these around Australia. These are designed and made in Australia for our vehicles (mostly Falcons/Commodores). The shocks are short stroke and made to give optimal comfort on lowered vehicles. They're a koni equivalent, at half the price. Could be worth a look - they use some serious construction and work very well.

There's heaps you can get on your budget, and most will work well. If I were spending the money I'd buy bilsteins, but for value and performance/comfort, I can't recommend the Durashock's highly enough. Good luck!

FOR SALE! - Supercharged AUIII XR6 VCT, intercooled, T5, big brakes.... details in the 'For Sale' section - ford-parts-for-sale-f17/fs-supercharged-au-xr6-vct-series-iii-intercooled-rwc-rego-t114254.html

Posted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

I swear by Bilstein of course - they make rough/corrugated dirt roads feel definitely rough but not harsh and of course handle second to none on any road type. Compared to a factory SS Commondung my description is that the Bilsteins in my ED make the smooth undulations feel firmer but sharp bumps are softer if that makes any sense (ie. sharp bumps that are actually harsh in the SS are not harsh in the ED with Bilsteins - they take the sharp edges off anything and everything). It takes an AWFUL bad hole or rip or bump to make these Bilsteins "crash" or feel harsh.

Definitely go with Superpro bushes - as people say, they are not as hard/brittle as Nolathane but they ARE proper poly / performance type bushes. I've had nolathane bushes break up after fairly short use as well as being harsh whereas I've had absolutely no problem with Superpro (memorable incident was when the rear felt weird one day - climbed under and found no bushes whatsoever left in the lower trailing arms - they had disintegrated and departed the scene - the fact that I could barely actually feel it is then testament to the Bilsteins and Superpro gear fitted throught the reat of the suspension).

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Sweet as, ill look into it all and see where i can get the parts from around here. Thanks heaps for the replies! ill let you all know how i go closer to the date i get it all done.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next