Fordmods Logo

Sorry, another lowering thread 

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:26 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

effalcongli wrote:
yeh any suspension shop will help ya out...either have thew stuff or point u in right diorection

dontmean to hijak ur threrad but can anyone comment on my question.. do shortened shocks make it sit lower than if i use normal shocks??

yes

SWAP MY DL LTD V8 Sunroof Leather Sports Exhaust Gas Tint
FOR A SEDAN OR STATION WAGON 6

0413843332 Paul

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:55 am 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

cheers

Pacey 4499 and 2.5 exhaust single muffler

Alpine head unit and front splits
2x kenwood SVC subs, clarion amp, pretty weak setup,but goes good enough for now

20" fairmont rims, if only they existed

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Xr6 Turbo

VIC, Australia

will u be doing em yourself?? and yes advice is to change shockers as i found when i changed mine, its a bouncy ride its shat me so much, so im going lows all round with new shockers now, also i changed mine the first time myself, what a C*** to do the fronts, backs are easy takes about an hour to do both. but took me 3-4 hours to do each front side, as u need to prett much take the whole steering assy apart. then take the strut apart. new springs in make sure it looks right put it all back together and get a wheel alignment. ive learn't now and im not making the same mistake twice. and that was my first time ever doing it aswell i guess if you have done it before it could be done alot faster. + i had a seized bolt where the shocker meets lower control arm. but from driving my car would say get new shocks with the springs as the firmer springs dont match with the shocks and its like a boat.

Previous cars

1995 ef futura - nothing special
2003 xr6 turbo 5 -speed 307rwkw

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: f6 rspec

NSW, Australia

Doesn't look so low here, but she really is low..

It sits lower then my mates au with tickford suspension..

it really is amazing how low some of the things are of the ground..not much room under at all..no to mention its a nightmare on speed humps (mostly mud flaps.)

Good luck to people with ssl's..i can't enter most driveways now..and if i have a full car load i can't enter ANY driveway which sucks..

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

purped wrote:
effalcongli wrote:
yeh any suspension shop will help ya out...either have thew stuff or point u in right diorection

dontmean to hijak ur threrad but can anyone comment on my question.. do shortened shocks make it sit lower than if i use normal shocks??

yes

umm, no, shocks have no bearing on the height of the vehicle.

bear in mind also that springs come in many many different sizes. most people always refer to the 3 main ones in low, super low and ultra low however they can be bought in any number of sizes in 5-10mm increments.

mine when i bought it was 320mm centre of hub to lip of guard (HTG) which is how kings measure ride height. this was too low to pass through regency (s.a. transport dept). according to them 335mm is the legal height for my eb.

i got 345mm for the front and 335mm for the rear. the rear also required short travel shocks but the fronts can handle std monroe gt gas struts.

everyplace may be different but i get kings springs here for $115pr and the short travel shocks cost me $100pr.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

prydey wrote:
purped wrote:
effalcongli wrote:

yes

umm yes they can :)

Some shocks have ridiculous spring seat heights which can make superlows look higher than Lows.

I think Mongoose here, had some pedders shocks which had that effect

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
prydey wrote:
purped wrote:
effalcongli wrote:

yes

umm yes they can :)

Some shocks have ridiculous spring seat heights which can make superlows look higher than Lows.

I think Mongoose here, had some pedders shocks which had that effect

to be technical shocks don't have a spring seat, struts do and that is nothing to do with the job a shock absorber does. when one is asking whether they need to change shocks when fitting lower springs they are generally not referring to fitment of non standard struts with a different spring seat height.

the shock absorber itself or strut insert will have no bearing on the height of the car regardless of whether they are soft or hard.

changing the struts on the front to have a different spring seat is just another option so that you can lower your car without changing the spring rate.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: XW, EL, Territory, VFR800

Power: 129 rwkw

SA, Australia

Prydey is right.

The strut spring seat is different on different shocks. Thus you can get a short stroke shock with a spring seat that effectively holds the spring higher than normal and make your car look like it's sitting at standard height.

PS Prydey... You should come to the dyno day in November. I haven't seen you about in SA...

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

MoNGooSE wrote:
Prydey is right.

He said basically the same s**t i did, just in more detail.

Yes a strut has a spring seat & rear shock doesnt. Yes spring seat can affect the height of the car. But feel free to disagree, but agree on a technicality :lol:

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: XW, EL, Territory, VFR800

Power: 129 rwkw

SA, Australia

lol... sook

MoNGooSE wrote:
Prydey and FordFairmont are right.

The strut spring seat is different on different shocks. Thus you can get a short stroke shock with a spring seat that effectively holds the spring higher than normal and make your car look like it's sitting at standard height.

PS Prydey... You should come to the dyno day in November. I haven't seen you about in SA...

Happy?? :roll:

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

MoNGooSE wrote:

i do shift work so i don't travel around at the normal times. i've noticed there's not a lot of southerners kicking about either.

where's the dyno day at. is there a thread?

sorry to go off topic.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2