Fordmods Logo

Stall Converter Questions 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Stall Converter Questions
Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 12:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF XR6

SA, Australia

Since my trans is comming up for a service I have been looking into ways of modding it (or in my case getting someone else to mod it)
Seems the auto trans can be modded in three ways: Stall conveter, shift kit or a tranny cooler. Or the combination thereof.
Now I understand how a shift kit works and how a trans cooler works. I have been reading up on how stall converters work too.
I have never driven a car with a stall converter in it. Could someone give me some answers?

In 'D' at a red light, with my foot on the brake, the converter will bring the idle up to (say) 3000 RPM. It would be as if I was to do a a burnout. Light goes green and the car accelerates super hard.
In 'N' at a red light, with my foot on the brake does idle sits at 900 RPM?

I realize that a converter has adverse effects for the trans (especially without a cooler) but what about the diff, tail shaft, etc?

oh oh some reading:

http://www.hardcore50.com/technical_art ... erters.htm

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000 ... dex2.shtml

ps. Does anyone is SA have a stall converter fitted? Would you take me for a drive on the dyno day?

Not lost any demerit points

Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 36 images

Ride: Ronald Mcdonald Mobile

NSW, Australia

no sure how these work but i got a question for u

how do you convert stall?? :P

Gooooone - Eb2 Coon - 143RWKW
Now - Mazda MX5 with HKS Supercharger 190RWKW
Crescent Motorsport Liverpool - 9600 6229

Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:34 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

A higher speed stall convertor will allow the engine's speed to "flash" to a higher amount in order to enable the car to leave harder off the line. This is due to more slippage in the convertor AND usually more torque at the respective engine speed.

If you have too high a stall convertor the car will feel very "doughy" on part throttle and cook the s**t out of the trans fluid if you are constantly running below the stall speed. This is the problem my boss now has with his 4500rpm convertor.

Too small a convertor and the engine WILL labour in gear at idle and feel gutless at low engine speeds. This is a very severe example which I have experienced.

You generally raise your stall speed because through a larger cam you now have LESS low speed torque than before.

On the E-series Falcons IMO the std stall convertor is more than enough for most street applications. Its about a 2200rpm stall speed. I think that is too high for standard because you can feel the doughyness already when gentle cruising around town.

I reckon the correct combo on the street can easily accomodate up to a 215@050" cam with the standard convertor. Note I said CORRECT!

Also in case you don't know a stall convertor upgrade requires transmission removal.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]