Fordmods Logo

t5 manual gearbox noises 

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: t5 manual gearbox noises
Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:03 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 1995 nf fairlane

QLD, Australia

holy schitt just a few k's...i dont know how many this one has done but its gunna piss me off something chronic if they dont fix it

1997 el fairmont, pedders superlows, 19" koya menis rims, manual...and more to come

Post subject: Re: t5 manual gearbox noises
Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

The manual for the T5 says 2.1 litres of oil according to the person who had the manual... Just fill it up with Transmax Z or Auto Dextron III with Lubrizol 7096 additive poured in first so that you don't loose the additive when you over fill it and have some land at your feet from the filler hole....

Mine makes crap noises all the time. Vibrations and what have you in third are particularly worrisome, but second and first are close behind on the fail scale.

Fourth and Fifth are smooth enough, happy with them.

This box of mine has done about 15,000km with one complete oil change at installation and another at about 8,000km. At oil change 8,000 I got out a collection of wee metal fragments... I know this isn't that good news, but it is still pushing my car forwards so am crossing my fingers for it to continue in this fashion for a few years yet.

I had a shudder shudder type thing going on that is clutch related, but I have changed the throw out bearing and put a complete HD Exeedy clutch kit in... And the shuddering and whine when in neutral without foot on clutch is still present.

It has even had the motor changed in front of it, and that made no difference... Neither did a new drive shaft, diff or shifter.

One quick point - You can eliminate a lot of the worrying noises if you can find the vibrations in the shifter or gear knob attachments. Honestly - It sounds silly, but there are huge amounts of vibrations that only kick in with third gear in particular. Your third gear is probably a bit shot, like mine... I live with mine and have taken steps to prevent the vibrations and noises getting into the cabin (along with making sure I am using the best oil combination possible given Tranzmax Z is impossible to get in NZ unless you want a 50L drum @ thousands of dollars.......)

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2