Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: T5 throwing off a lot of heat under operating conditions
Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:59 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I still have the rubber in mine from the base of the BA shifter... used in conjuction with the short shifter... You thinking the heat transfers up the stick and comes out under the console to warm other things? Plus makes the gear knob warm?

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:59 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
while mine creates some heat but not hot enough to make things too hot to touch...

what makes mine more noticable is the billet alloy gear shift, steel handle with no rubber insulator and alloy gear knob..

Naturally that is direct heat transfer, whats in the box is in your hand.

I have a car.

Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB SXR6 | ED XR8 Sprint

NSW, Australia

i say its yoru sound deadening/ big black 'rubber matt' thing that fits under the console and sort of goes down to the floor panel. when idid my conversion i didnt put this in, i noticed the whole console getting really warm, plus i had a ripped gear boot (one htat bolts to the floor. I changed the boot, and fitted this sound/ heat deadening thing and it made a massive difference. if you dont have any then i recommend buying soem and putting it under the console.

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

some good replies. Thanks guys.

No there was no rubber mat, the carpet never came up. Im thinking the exhaust now as well, because the auto is physically larger than the t5, it would block a lot of heat out. Also with the motor reving more than normal with the diff gears the exhaust would be throwing off more heat. The cat is also vey small, a low cpi cylinder rather than the stock square shape. If it was the box it would be were the tunnel meets the dash because thats where it lies under. The coin holder and glove compartment is actually behind the box. I also have the billet shifter, and it didnt fit the boot right so that was modified, and is not a complete seal.

being mild steel 2.5 inch would a heatwrap from the cat back to the diff hurt the metal at all? can it take the extra heat?

enough isn't enough

Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:54 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AU S2 XR8

WA, Australia

dc_todd wrote:
This is the first time I have heard of a T5 generating excessive heat, Ive had a few factory manuals and 2 converted to manual, none of them have generated the kind of heat you guys are taking about, even when the EB was on the road with 3.9's and a spool it never generated excessive heat. thought of looking at a cooler for the box? I have seen them done on commodores using the fill and drain holes on the sie of the box and a small electric pump to move fluid through the system.

I'm about to trial this setup on my XR8, just need to drill a return port on the r/h side of the box above the a***/shaft for 3rd gear. Still trying to figure out where to run the cooler. I spoke to my mate doing the rebuild/modify on my box and he said Redline is the best oil and with no additives needed, he's drained it from a mangled box then filtered it and put it in the new one! Never had a problem with it.

mmmmmmmmmmm 220 manual goodness!

Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:27 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

3x-puursui7 wrote:
dc_todd wrote:
This is the first time I have heard of a T5 generating excessive heat, Ive had a few factory manuals and 2 converted to manual, none of them have generated the kind of heat you guys are taking about, even when the EB was on the road with 3.9's and a spool it never generated excessive heat. thought of looking at a cooler for the box? I have seen them done on commodores using the fill and drain holes on the sie of the box and a small electric pump to move fluid through the system.

I'm about to trial this setup on my XR8, just need to drill a return port on the r/h side of the box above the a***/shaft for 3rd gear. Still trying to figure out where to run the cooler. I spoke to my mate doing the rebuild/modify on my box and he said Redline is the best oil and with no additives needed, he's drained it from a mangled box then filtered it and put it in the new one! Never had a problem with it.

Transmax Z is as good as it gets for a T5. Never run 'normal' gearbox oil. I successfully ran a cooler set up like that described for years in a competition car (380hp 302W, T5). Pumped the fluid with a Holley Red fuel pump (don't use a Carter for this - they are a better fuel pump, but have a wet armature and can't cope with anything thicker than fuel) to a cooler mounted in front of the radiator. Worked very well.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2