Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

where do they bolt to?

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

i am back if you are serious bout getting a tail shaft why not a 4x4 tubing with a falcon yolk etc like would the 4wd have more toque strength or is nothing to do with it like revolutions and stuf the factor............ were could one get a race type spec ailshaft from i as i am currently thinking about getting an ea wreck and build up for the main purpose of doing time tril and mountaion climping work and track racing and i would like to get over 180 ish kms with out a snap crackle and f**k.... cheers

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL XR6 5spd

XR alloy tailshaft, what to they go for generally (2nd hand)?

EL XR6 5spd

Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: ELXR8 SERIES 2

SA, Australia

FAST-XR wrote:
an xr6 tail shaft is made out of a slightly heavier gauge tube than standard, it also has a slip yoke dampener on it, which is supposed to reduce harmonic vibrations at high speed...

i recently had the shaft off as it had chewed out the bearing in the extension housing, the reason why it happened is because the dampener lost a rubber and threw it out of balance...

to get a new dampener from fruad was going to cost me $350, but since my car doesnt never gets over 180kph i decided to go without and i havent had a problem...

i always thaught hat xr6/8 tailshafts were lighter that standard being alloy and the reason for standard tailshafts being so crap was because of the weight of the rotating mass is prone to throwing out of balance at high speed. i thaught thats why they went for alloy shafts, less weight, better ballance at speed, less prone to letting go.

EL XR8 SERIES 2, 5SPD, HOT CHILLI RED, 200 ODD RWKW OF V8 FUN AND GAMES

EF XR6, 5SPD, HERITAGE GREEN, AU XR6 VCT ENGINE

VL COMMODORE, 5SPD, WHITE

BA XT, AUTO, OFFSHORE BLUE

Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

so a used EF xr6 tailshaft seems to be the way to go? Will the EL XR6 tailshaft bolt straight up to my EF ?

Ive only ran a 15.2 but at nearly 150kph was nearly hitting the speed limiter with my 3.7 diff, and i assume i cant just have the speed limiter removed without upgrading the tailshaft when ive had more engine mods done.

Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:57 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

EL and EF tailshaft 100% interchangable.

The next bit probably does not help interstate guys..

Narellan spares usually has alloy shafts on hand about $80-100.00, they do ship interstate too, call em for a price. being in Syd these guys seem to be the ones who consistanly have them,

I have a car.

Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

i have a question for yas:

my EL Ghia has a Tickford motor, and i was assuming it had an alloy tail shaft too because of the Tickford motor, but while overtaking a small convoy a few weeks ago, it cut out at 180 :?

is this a Ghia thing being speed limited with a Tickford driveline?

ECU code is 6DJB if that helps.

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
so a used EF xr6 tailshaft seems to be the way to go? Will the EL XR6 tailshaft bolt straight up to my EF ?

Ive only ran a 15.2 but at nearly 150kph was nearly hitting the speed limiter with my 3.7 diff, and i assume i cant just have the speed limiter removed without upgrading the tailshaft when ive had more engine mods done.

I thought it was the BTR auto that made the 180 SL neccesary. I dont see the 5 speed falcons with speed limiters even though they have the same tailshaft. a 5 speed with standard tailshaft wont be near the limiter at 180. (my auto EB2 sat at about 3300 rpm on the limiter in 4th at 180 from memory). its the auto thats the prob. the tailshaft should be good as long as you dont thrash it too hard. although if you are racing, its a good idea to replace as many factory parts as possible since they were never designed with this in mind.

as for the tailshaft that spat it on the dyno yes it would have been harmonics, since a falcon in top gear at 6200 rpm would be doing mad speed.... it prolly wouldnt have the power to turn top gear at that rpm on the road. its just too tall.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:19 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

I've heard that about the BTR auto too. In my case both the tailshaft and the auto died horrible deaths (others bit too, flattened exhaust anyone?).

Answering a few Q's already in this thread.

Why 2 piece:
The singe piece shafts because they're so long, tend to generate a wobble at higher speeds (got to do with harmonics), the shorter pieces of a 2 piece shaft, have a much higher harmonic, thus it's next to impossible to go fast enough to case them to fail. The extra joins in a 2 piece are no weaker than those used in a single piece, so aren't a worry.

I'm racing will I need to remove the (180) limiter:
Unlikely, even on the long front straights of Oran Park, Eastern Creek, Wakefiled Park etc. even in my modded GT-P top speeds are only about 200-220km/h You're not going to hit that in an E series without serious engine mods. 1/4mi times in the 11sec bracket result in a top speed of 160-220km/h again you're going to need a pretty specced up E series to make that.

Speed on dyno my tailshaft/gearbox let go:
192km/h (in third gear)

The mess:

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:15 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

I agree with you about Wakefield, the straight is just not long enough to crack 200 for more than a second, oran park you will break 200 on the gp circuit, eastern creek has the longest front straight out of the 3 and witth a good exit from 10,11 and 12 you can be up close to 235km\h.

But, unless you plan on doing this on a regular basis, ie more than once a year the only reason to change to an alloy shaft is for saftey reasons.

keep in mind this is in a manual, but even a well driven auto will be more than capable.

I have a car.

Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

NSW, Australia

AFAIK the EL XR6 t/shaft will just bolt up. That's what I'm putting into the ED T5 and EB2. $50 each.
I'd love to have the time to see if my spare 450SEL two piece tail shaft could be modified to fit the ED T5 Futura, that is as smooth as silk at well over 220kph.
Maybe when the workshop's finished....
Paul

What goes around, comes around.

Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

I'd also like to know why so many near standard E series apparently *need* a stronger tail shaft for supposed trackwork.. since when does an EL with an exhaust run low 12's :)

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

fnp wrote:
I'd also like to know why so many near standard E series apparently *need* a stronger tail shaft for supposed trackwork.. since when does an EL with an exhaust run low 12's :)

like i mentioned before, if your running 3.73 or 4.11 diff, then that effectively brings down the 'safe' operation speed of the tailshaft.

EA T5 with 3.73 diff maxes out a little over 150kph, which is s**t if you wanna run the 1/4 mile

Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA 3v ute

VIC, Australia

Could you cut down a 2 piece BA ute tail shaft and get it in there?

I had an alloy tailshaft from factory, (BA V8 ute) and found it absolute rubbish! Let go on the dyno (with only 200rwkw) and that wasn't under load :| Don't know what kinda differences there would be comparing BA v8 to E series i6 tailshaft but i generally don't like alloy ones

www.bseries.com.au/punktured

Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
fnp wrote:

like i mentioned before, if your running 3.73 or 4.11 diff, then that effectively brings down the 'safe' operation speed of the tailshaft.

EA T5 with 3.73 diff maxes out a little over 150kph, which is s**t if you wanna run the 1/4 mile

good point, taken.

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next